Tow Bar modification

Skybrd

My tow bar has given me a pain in the rear more than once after it slipped out of the nose gear frame. At first I tried to clear out any grease on the attachment but it still came out unexpectantly and sent me on my back when it slipped out. My final solution was to add a bungee cord to the tow bar. The short bungee cord attaches to the tow bar and the other end hooks on the nose gear frame. No more slip outs and back tumbles. If yours is cantankerous like mine, you might want to add a bungee cord and save some acrobatics after it slips out.

Another suggestion for tow bars slipping out of the truss, is wrap the insertion area of the bar with a few turns of duct tape.  Not enough to prevent insertion, but enough to provide a good grip. 

I've used this method for years and it does work just fine.  I learned this the hard way too!!  Ouch! Surprised

I have had goodluck by applying a single layer of black non slip tred tape availble at any hardware store.This stuff is availble in 6in/3in wide widths and you remove backing and apply,also works with the step.Now when you place towbar you kinda screw it in but nomatter how hard you pull or what angle it will not suddenly slip out and dump you on your butt..kpc

Quote: thinwing

I have had goodluck by applying a single layer of black non slip tred tape availble at any hardware store.This stuff is availble in 6in/3in wide widths and you remove backing and apply,also works with the step.Now when you place towbar you kinda screw it in but nomatter how hard you pull or what angle it will not suddenly slip out and dump you on your butt..kpc

Quote: Skybrd

My tow bar has given me a pain in the rear more than once after it slipped out of the nose gear frame. At first I tried to clear out any grease on the attachment but it still came out unexpectantly and sent me on my back when it slipped out. My final solution was to add a bungee cord to the tow bar. The short bungee cord attaches to the tow bar and the other end hooks on the nose gear frame. No more slip outs and back tumbles. If yours is cantankerous like mine, you might want to add a bungee cord and save some acrobatics after it slips out.

Rocket supplied a telescoping towbar with the converion. A longer one really helps. My MSE has the stock one and Longer is better.

For a portable tow bar, I recommend the Bogerts folding tow bar. See below for the link.  It folds up (some parts fold, the handle length is adjustable) to a reasonable size to fit in the baggage compartment, and grips the nose wheel frame from both sides. Nice piece of design, and well worth the price.  For moving in and out of my hangar I use a battery powered Robotow. Its pin goes through the nose wheel frame, and a swing down hook clamps the pin where it come out the other side.  Very secure.  Save your back. Like I suspect most of us have done at one time or another, I've taken a tumble when a conventional tow bar has slipped out of its socket. 

I'm just confused about how your towbar is slipping out of the front gear. So I took some pictures of mine [below]. Then I noticed a shiny little tag near the middle, where the cotter pin goes through when sliding in/out, that says "WAG AERO." My suggestion would be to use the fine towbar they make, as it can't slip, collapses short enough to easily fit in the cargo area and is quite sturdy.

post-54-13468139605303_thumb.jpg

post-54-13468139605856_thumb.jpg