Engine Overhaul/Change

Rustler

The facts: 1980 M20 J, IO360 A3B6D, 1870 hrs TTAF/E, never topped

The proposal: Purchase an IO360 A3B6, freshly overhauled by Western Skyways. I don't know how many hours on this engine's case. New ECI nickeled cylinders. Usual accessories, my SkyTech starter.

The questions: 1) What are folks' experiences with Western Skyways? 2) Are there any problems upgrading the engine to the true dual-mag A3B6? 3) Are there any suggestions for making this an easy transition? [i sure will save down time by having the new engine delivered before taking out the old one, I think.] 4) Any ideas in general?

Thanks for your help.

If you have an engine with only 1900 hours and no problems I sure would be looking at getting it overhauled instead of trading it off for something that you don't have any history on.

Find a shop that works with an engine overhauler and combine the engine work with an annual. Your downtime will be reduced.

Western Skyways, so far, has been a pleasure to deal with. Very straight forward, thoughtful, and quite forthcoming with reasons for recommendations. They also get top ratings from All American Aircraft, from whom I purchased the airplane.

There is no core-differential charge. The overhaul would be the same with my A3B6D as with their A3B6. The up charge for new cylinders (Lycomings or ECIs) vs. remanufactured ECIs with new barrels is $1800. I get my choice of Slicks or Bendix; my A&P likes Bendix.

At this juncture, I'm pretty much convinced that the A3B6 is the way to go, with Bendix induction mags, not the shower of sparks. ECI cylinders.

I priced Lycoming factory rebuilds, the "0" hour ones, and that tab came to around $31,000 total. The Western Skyways ends up in the neighborhood of $22K. Big difference.

Thanks to airkraft for the specific information. It coincides with several others I've discussed this with. Thanks to all for the advice and information.

Jim--

The benefit I see to the EMI cylinders is the nickel-alloy bore treatment. When the cylinder walls are treated, you never have any rust form there. It will still form other places, but not on the cylinder walls, a usual place to find it if one hasn't used the engine for prolonged periods.I also have an A&P friend who works at their destruction lab in New Braunfels, TX, and I have been impressed by the thoroughness of their testing. I have no problems with Lycoming, either. Both are good cylinders and probably of equal quality.

Here's a link to what ECI says: http://www.eci.aero/pages/services_advantage.aspx

Another consideration, I think, is resale. Potential buyers would usually be more comfortable with the ECIs and the nickel process than plain jugs, whether or not the reasoning is sound. Who knows, I just might have to move up to a Bravo or an Encore in a couple years.

I didnt look at it TOO closely since I dont happen to have ECI cylinders but I recieved something in the mail regarding cracks and some type of action to take if I did have ECI cylinders. Dual mag? I have seen a 201 that was bellied in and tore all to heck and the dual mag was hanging from the back of the motor (which had been freshly OH) no mag works  when it isnt attached to the motor, small flashlight and good preflight does wonders. My bird has many mods but it was that way when I bought it, I just think money better spent is to buy a bird like you want and fly the crap out of it. I have a long wat till TBO but when I get tired of what I have I'll trade up or maybe down but I just dont see dumping more money into a bird than you can get out of it. I'd rather trade lots of deals out there right now.

Somebody correct me please.

The original post was about an IO360A3B6 engine with ECI cylinders. I am certain than the IO360A3B6 has angle valve cylinders. I am certain that ECI at this time does not make an angle valve cylinder. I am certain that the ECI cylinder AD action only has to do with parallel valve cylinders (from the Summary of the FAA directive: "The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for Lycoming Engines (formerly Textron Lycoming) models 320, 360, and 540 series, ``Parallel Valve'' reciprocating engines, with certain Engine Components, Inc. (ECi) cylinder assemblies, part number (P/N) AEL65102 series ``Titan'', installed. ")

If you have a Mooney with an IO360A3B6 Lycoming you can't have ECI cylinders. You can't have the FAA AD action problem on your cylinders. Western Skyways can't be supplying what they offered the OP. What am I missing here?

Quote: N57039

. . . .<snip>

If you have a Mooney with an IO360A3B6 Lycoming you can't have ECI cylinders. You can't have the FAA AD action problem on your cylinders. Western Skyways can't be supplying what they offered the OP. What am I missing here?

A Lycoming rep (and she was cute too might I add) was poking around our hangars in Kona a few months back.  She dropped all kinds of brochures about the new engines and such with roller tappets, etc.

She said they were seeing upwards of 15 horsepower increase with this modification but the results were not "official" yet.

Anyone else find truth in this?  If so, perhaps 15-20 ponies would help justify the 9 AMU?  Anyone know what kind of KTAS boost one might see on a J model with another 15HP?

Perhaps with this and a LowPresti cowling I could actually get the 172 KTAS that Mooney claimed the M20J 201 could do? Laughing

Quote: Cruiser

I had a FREM w/roller tappets installed last year in my 84 M20J. I don't have any speed checks from before the exchange. I did do a brief run 25x2500 full rich with the new engine at 1500 MSL and got 168kts.

That is nice.  I really never see better than 156 KTAS.  Got to admit it is pretty slow and no where near 201 MPH Undecided

Quote: mooniac58

A Lycoming rep (and she was cute too might I add) was poking around our hangars in Kona a few months back.  She dropped all kinds of brochures about the new engines and such with roller tappets, etc.

She said they were seeing upwards of 15 horsepower increase with this modification but the results were not "official" yet.

Anyone else find truth in this?  If so, perhaps 15-20 ponies would help justify the 9 AMU?  Anyone know what kind of KTAS boost one might see on a J model with another 15HP?

Perhaps with this and a LowPresti cowling I could actually get the 172 KTAS that Mooney claimed the M20J 201 could do? Laughing

Quote: JimR

Very interesting, Gary. Thanks for the update. I'm sure that that STC will generate a lot of interest. If speed increases with the cube root of power, however, I wouldn't expect to see an awful lot of a speed gain from the extra 10 horse power. The rate of climb increase will probably be more significant than the speed gain.

The order is in and the down payment made.

Engine: IO360 A3B6  Mags: Bendix

Pistons: Lycoming rebarreled and nickeled by ECI

Should take 4-5 weeks; I'm not in any great hurry but am getting excited.

We're also going to install an AirWolf wet vacuum pump and their associated oil separator. I had one on my former airplane and found it to be a reliable piece of quality equipment. Additionally, I'll overhaul the oil cooler or purchase a new one. I'm using the SkyTec starter I already have.

The issue of the roller tappets was a significant one, but I decided against it for my purposes. The idea that the roller engine will probably be a selling point in the future might well be correct, but my reason for doing this is to have an engine behind which I can fly with comfort and trust at a reasonable price. I think I've done that.

Like the rest of you, I've watched the development of the IO390 with great interest but didn't think the wait was worth it, and the price didn't recommend it for 3-5 knots and increased fuel consumption.

The LoPresti cowl is a real question. I had one on my Grumman Cheetah and didn't notice any particular speed increase; I did notice improved cooling. Gotta say it looked great.

The biggest improvement on the Grumman was the PowerFlow; it significantly improved climb. I do not hear great things about it on the Mooney, however.

I think you'll do well with Western Skyways.  Good decision, in my view.

Not to necessarily open a new can of worms, but...

I have read that the Power Flow exhaust is very effective on the carburated Mooney's.  Little, if any, performance gains on the injected 200 HP Mooney's.  I can attest that the PF was worth the money on our flight school C172 (O-320E2D w/ Ly-Con 160 HP STC).

Anyone?  Thanks in advance...