Anybody actually install a GTN650/750 yet?

Comatose

I have been flying a twin with 430 and aspen and I do like it.   

The other big thing with ASPEN and my stec 60-2

1. altitude select a hold  is coming as an option soon ,,, I am pretty sure I will invest in it.

AND

2.  Synthetic vision as an option on the Aspen is coming this summer.   this is what went me to Aspen over the more expensive G500.

Living in the mountains and flying 90 per cent of my time some pretty substantial terrian, this will be a nice safety ... hope I never need it..but worth the investment I believe

The only option I didnt choose which I would have liked was the Traffic.  My thinking is if I file IFR I will get good seperation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Ovation 2 is in the shop now for install of new GTN750 & 650, plus remote audio panel and remote transponder.  I'm obviously sold on the value of this new equipment, after seeing an extensive demo at Sun n Fun in the Garmin Ovation 2.  Expect to pick her up on May 31 and can't wait.

Mine is working out great and is a load of fun to fly with.

Once you guys take delivery I highly encourage you to install and use the simulator software that comes on the DVD's that are in the box. I spent several hours working with it and by the time I started using the unit in the plane I was nearly an expert at it. The simulator is identical to the real unit in every way.

Watch Ebay for my 530W/430W from Avionics Unlimited at CXO.  They will be out there probably on June 6, 2011.  My units are 20 months old and still in warranty.  They gave me $8500/$6000 trade on the units so I suspect they will try and get a 10% profit or so. 

They said that's what they gave you but it's just like trading in your car. They quote you a high trade in value but they are merely giving you a greater discount on the new equipment.

I got what I consider a high trade in value for my old, rusted out antiquated early 80's era  radios, certainly much more than I see them selling for on eBay in better condition, but know they lowered the price of the equipment and install to make it seem like I got a lot for them.

Quote: flyboy0681

They said that's what they gave you but it's just like trading in your car. They quote you a high trade in value but they are merely giving you a greater discount on the new equipment.

I got what I consider a high trade in value for my old, rusted out antiquated early 80's era  radios, certainly much more than I see them selling for on eBay in better condition, but know they lowered the price of the equipment and install to make it seem like I got a lot for them.

Quote: docket

I have no idea if they got to me or not but the price on the 750 was 13,495 and the 650 was $9495.  Considering that I paid $11,295/$7295 for the 530/430 I felt (used car analogy or not) that a credit of $8500/$6000 was pretty good for any used electronics.  

Finally got my plane with the 650 back yesterday. No end of datacard related problems during the install, but everything got straightened out. This was into a plane that had never had a 430, so I also had to get a new CDI and do a fair amount of panel rework to put everything in. Mine came out to thirteen even.

So far, I like it a lot. I haven't tried it in turbulence, though.

Quote: Comatose

Finally got my plane with the 650 back yesterday. No end of datacard related problems during the install, but everything got straightened out. This was into a plane that had never had a 430, so I also had to get a new CDI and do a fair amount of panel rework to put everything in. Mine came out to thirteen even.

Quote: Comatose