Door seals again

LASAR installed one of the newer door-mounted seals from aircraftdoorseals.com on my plane a couple of weeks ago, and I love it.  Seals great, looks good, very quiet, and they said it was easy to install because the contour of the seal fit the door shape perfectly.  They spent 3 hrs removing the old seal and adhesive, and 45 minutes installing the new.  I have no experience with the older style from aircraftdoorseal.com, but they changed the design and got a new PMA a couple of years ago, which is fairly recent.  The one I have is durable foam with a "v" shaped extrusion cross section.  Just my .02 but I'm very happy so far.  Previous seal was the factory rubber seal, and it only lasted 5 years before losing useful pliability and "sponginess" and made wind noise for the last 2 years.

Quote: knute

LASAR installed one of the newer door-mounted seals from aircraftdoorseals.com on my plane a couple of weeks ago, and I love it.  Seals great, looks good, very quiet, and they said it was easy to install because the contour of the seal fit the door shape perfectly.  They spent 3 hrs removing the old seal and adhesive, and 45 minutes installing the new.  I have no experience with the older style from aircraftdoorseal.com, but they changed the design and got a new PMA a couple of years ago, which is fairly recent.  The one I have is durable foam with a "v" shaped extrusion cross section.  Just my .02 but I'm very happy so far.  Previous seal was the factory rubber seal, and it only lasted 5 years before losing useful pliability and "sponginess" and made wind noise for the last 2 years.

I have a plastic "wire wheel" that is chucked in a drill. It is plastic "wire" embeded with some kind of grit.  Anyways, it is safe for aluminum, some MEK and a wheel like that ought to take care of the old glue.

http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/nbb350.htm