Autopilot repair shop on the left coast

helitim

Gentleman,

For the second time, my Century IIB has stopped working.  I didn't  use it that often even when it did work but, if it's in the plane I want it working correctly if possible.  I had one old timer spend quite a few hours repairing it last time and it worked OK but not good. It had a 3-5 degrees slow and constant oscillation when engaged in Heading Mode.  Does anyone know of a shop somewhere near California that might have a better chance of a proper repair or, a better option for an autopilot? I have heard there is a shop at Sacramento Exec that specializes in A/P's.  Anyone have any experience good or bad with them?

Thanks, Tim 

Highly recommend Exec autopilot in Sacramento. They have solved issues only King-200 by phone when MOONEY shop couldn't solve with airplane in hanger for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After the last repair, it had a continuous slow oscillation of about 3-4 degrees from the HDG bug.   Now, it simply stopped working.  The previous repair took several hours of bench time to isolate a weak resistor in the controller.  It's just an old system and may not be worth repairing but, I would like someone with the knowledge to either repair or confirm its status.  If it's not repairable, I have been looking around at some other options and might consider a replacement as long as the current servos can be used.  It would be nice to have GPSS now that I have the GTN 750.

Do you have a better suggestion?  I'm all ears for a solution.

Tim

From my understanding A/P , cannot be pieced together ( you cannot mix servos with a different console than came with the STC. ) 

i am guessing that you have a 1C385 console/amplifier and 1C388M control head (allows you to pick between heading / nav / loc modes) 

the Attitude and heading indicators provide signal to the console and control head 

-.the autopilot outputs rarely fail 

- the amphenol connectors of the system are known to make bad contact . You could take them off and replug them to see if that solves it 

- The control head rarely fails in those systems 

- the console can drift . There is a procedure to decrease oscillations in the system . The console can fail. 

I have the same system and I am based in LVK. PM me if you want me to help you troubleshoot . 

Adding a GPSS won't solve an a/p issue . The GPSS just provides an electronic heading indication