Swift fuel for sale at KSQL

Bennett

On 9/24/2016 at 11:23 PM, DaV8or said:

In time they could get the completely bio-fuel production going with enough money rolling in. I think it's an admirable goal.

I used to be a petroleum geek. I read all the forums (Mostly the Oil Drum, RIP). I even went to the first EIA energy symposium in DC. I even got to have a short conversation with the secretary of energy (Bodman) at a urnal. Anyway, if you are interested in bio fuels you should read the writings of Robert Rapier. He worked for quite a while as a process engineer for Conoco Phillips and now consults with bio fuel production companies. he desperately wants to find a viable bio fuel, but he is pragmatic about it. Nothing that has been tried so far has produced a single BTU of energy. The most successful bio fuel is corn ethanol, which is just a government subsidy for corn farmers. If the farmers used the ethanol to plant the corn, tend to the corn, harvest the corn and drive the corn to the processing plant, If the processing plant used the ethanol to run their stills, if the ethanol was used to deliver the ethanol to the final destination, there would be no ethanol left. Currently, it takes a lot of diesel to make bio fuel. 

If you could convert every carbon atom of every crop grown in the USA to hydrocarbon fuel with no energy involved in the conversion, we still wouldn't equal the number of carbon atoms burned today. Besides, I kind of enjoy those corps for eating!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Mininger said:

I'm old enough to remember leaded car gas, and changing spark plugs every 12,000 miles. Frankly, I don't miss those days at all.

Over here one doesn't even have to be very old to remember all that, I sure do; we had leaded fuel available in pumps till 2000.

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

If you could convert every carbon atom of every crop grown in the USA to hydrocarbon fuel with no energy involved in the conversion, we still wouldn't equal the number of carbon atoms burned today. Besides, I kind of enjoy those corps for eating!

Not to mention its ability to hold water. Its why we have to drain fuel tanks off season (boats, lawn equipment,etc). Its also why the FAA has never approved mogas with bio mix.

-Robert