IA licence verification

Does anyone know how to check the verification of a mechanics IA license or if their license is current.  I checked the FAA website and searched google and came up with nothing.  Seems like there would be a FAA inquiry page where you could get some back ground info.

The information is available in the same database as pilots.  https://amsrvs.registry.faa.gov/airmeninquiry/

There is one catch.  IA's are required to renew every 2 years, however if they don't meet the min requirements for the amount of work done the 1st year or take a renewal course then it becomes invalid the second year even though the faa only checks it every 2 years.

Ms. Google found this site: Select IA and  FAA office (I selected Charlotte NC and got a list of 192 IAs in our area including contact info for my local IA. I suppose being on this roster means the IA is current but you might want to contact the appropriate FAA office to verify the IAs status.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MB65E said:

Wow! There are only 59 IA's including myself in the LAX FSDO system! Half of those probably haven't signed a logbook in years!

-Matt

Maybe so but I know my IA has regular visits from his FAA regional office and has to meet cetrtain currency and record keeping standards. I do not know the details but I have the impression continuing ed and minimum activity are required to maintain IA status. But I can't speak to how up to date the roster is.

(Understand I am not an A&P, I'm a PP and long time Mooney owner who does as much maintenance as I can on my own plane under the supervision of my friendly A&P.) 

Matt is likely correct, there may be very few apparently active GA IAs. There are three ways to maintain your IA.  One is currency that Mike and Bob mentioned.  This is 4 annuals or 8 major repairs or alterations per year (Corrected thanks to MB65E post below).  I kept mine current for many years when doing lots of avionics installs and airframe mods.  The other way is by taking an annual seminar...in person or via computer (Mike mentioned this as well).  You renew using the proof every two years.  I would venture to guess that most IAs maintain currency this way.  The last way is to show up at the FSDO for an interview.  I don't know anybody who does it this way, but I suspect if you have a good relationship with the FSDO it may be an ok way.

The FAA does want you to show a need to have your IA, especially if you don't meet the hands on activity minimums.  They seem to have been rather lenient in this area, even when they made a renewed effort to purge inactive IAs a few years back.  You need to show them you have access to approved data and have some need for your IA.  For example, in addition to some GA activity, I use it as one of the credentials in my full time job for an OEM.  It is a great benefit to the company because we interface with maintainers and we provide all of the maintenance data that needs to meet the FARs.  In other careers, the IA is a valued ticket to corporate pilots who may need to make an airworthiness determination at a remote location, many maintenance managers use the IA as a credential for their position.  This is also the case of many airlines, OEMs, repair stations, avionics shops etc.. So, this leaves fewer IAs  using their ticket for GA.  I won't even get into the multitude of reasons ($$, liability, customer relations, etc.) why people shy away from GA, even though many earned the rating while working in the field.

As for FAA quality control, it varies.  The guys at repair stations get the most scrutiny, but have the least need for an IA since they sign off most work under the repair station.  Here again, the IA ticket provides value as a credential.  High volume IAs would be next for oversite, but I would guess they don't get near the level of oversite as repair stations.  The least oversite is for independent IAs.  Typically, the FAA lets he industry police itself.  Violations would usually occur after a phone call, incident or accident.  Not all IAs are created equal, but the majority are good honest people.  Local word of mouth is usually the best way to determine quality of local IAs or mechanics.  Every region typically has the one or two bad eggs that get by, but typically have quite a long rap sheet, if only through local lore.  Take time to meet and discuss your work ahead of time.  Prices too good to be true, typically are...especially in the long run.

Edited by takair
Correction
  • Like 1

Thanks TA, 4 annuals a year with in each cycle after March 31st. I plan my annuals for work to meet the requirement. It's a bit of a catch if you don't pay attention. 8 signatures on 337 forms. Or 8 hours of "approved training" each year. Approvals must be coded by the FAA as approved classes at each renewal in March. Odd years renewal...

Most factory courses or training material is approved as an FAA renewal material. 

Its suprising to me as well how many DOM's in Flight departments are not IA's anymore. 

It's not too bad to maintain, but the ROI is getting harder to justify.

-Matt

• Like 1

I just looked up the Birmingham office that cover the area I live in. They show having 507 IA's  mostly due to the military bases in the area. 

I also remember reading a article of a shop who's ia lost his ia but continued to sign off annuals and 337s for several years. It created quite a mess for several owners. 

2 hours ago, N601RX said:

I just looked up the Birmingham office that cover the area I live in. They show having 507 IA's  mostly due to the military bases in the area. 

I also remember reading a article of a shop who's ia lost his ia but continued to sign off annuals and 337s for several years. It created quite a mess for several owners. 

Unfortunately this happens.  My first medical was performed by a DME who was not authorized. We all heard about it after he passed away.  

2 hours ago, MB65E said:

Thanks TA, 4 annuals a year with in each cycle after March 31st. I plan my annuals for work to meet the requirement. It's a bit of a catch if you don't pay attention. 8 signatures on 337 forms. Or 8 hours of "approved training" each year. Approvals must be coded by the FAA as approved classes at each renewal in March. Odd years renewal...

Most factory courses or training material is approved as an FAA renewal material. 

Its suprising to me as well how many DOM's in Flight departments are not IA's anymore. 

It's not too bad to maintain, but the ROI is getting harder to justify.

-Matt

Boy did I have the details wrong.  Thanks for the correction.  I should have checked the numbers before posting.  When I was active, I was signing dozens of 337 per year, so it was never an issue.  Since I went into to engineering Full time I have turned to approved training which I now do on line.