Experience with EI Individual Gauges?

I did the price comparison EDM930 $4900 and MVP50 $5200 and decided to go a different route.  I am doing a co-pilot panel re-do and already have EI volt meter and Fuel monitor (w/fuel pressure)...so additional installation of EI tach, MP and Oil @$1398 and existing cylinder/exhaust monitor seemed like the way to go as I can pay for my panel overlay/install and a Garmin 696 and STILL have a smaller financial investment than with install of EI MVP50 or JPI EDM930.  Anyone else install the EI tach, MP and Oil pres/temp in their aircraft?  What has your experience been.  The gauges are smaller than OEM and the digital illuminated read-out should also be a plus, right?  I traced/did a cardboard cut-out and the 696 as well as six pack or EI individual gauges appear to fit nicely.  I plan to have the left/right fuel gauges sent in for overhaul ($160/gauge) and re-paint.  I have attached photo of proposed placement.  I think I will have room to put the DC outlet adjacent to the fuel gauges)  input on placement etc. welcome and appreciated.

post-809-13468138974402_thumb.jpg

My plane has an EI tach, it was installed by the previous owner so I can't comment on the install.  As far as the functions go, I really like it, it's backlit and it has led's around the outside that function a bit like an analog tach, as well as the digital readout.  I like it a lot more than a standard analog tach and it has a flight timer function that is really nice to have.

I pondered installing the individual EI gauges as well. My main problem was the old '66 fuel gauges just did not work, even after overhaul and many hours of tweaking the wiring and connectors. The sensors in the tanks were working fine.

I finally said enough is enough and did a complete panel overhaul. I wanted to get rid of the old 6 pack engine gauges and bring my '66 up to a modern look, so I dug deep (too deep, but what the heck) and bought the JPI EDM-930. The shop fabricated a new panel - left & right - and made it look very nice.

My take on the -930 is that it is an impressive system that provides far more than primary gauge replacement (STC'd - I no longer have any analog gauges).  The unit has a 30 hour memory that tracks all changes in EGT/CHT, RPM, oil pressure/temp, etc.    In flight, I can get a graph of the last 5 minutes EGT/CHT figures. On the ground with my computer, I can see trends developing, and can print out graphs and numbers for my IA to review. A simple USB memory stick collects the data for easy transport to home.  From a maintenance and troubleshooting standpoint, it is invaluable.

The obvious question here is how much are you willing to invest in a 40+ year old airplane. I doubt I will recover my costs if and when I sell the plane. In my case, that is a concern but not a show stopper. I already put a new interior, paint job, and avionics upgrade into my plane, so there was no way I could recoup those costs.  Why not just bite the bullet and make a new airplane, for a fraction of the cost of factory new? The JPI is like having a full time flight engineer on board watching my back.

After 6 months of flying behind the JPI, I love it.  YMMV

post-5376-1346813900405_thumb.jpg

The JPI is compatible with a number of different fuel senders, so they stayed in the wing. They work very well. Of course, they show at 27 gallons (I have bladders with 27.4 gallon) until I am about 4 or 5 gallons down, but then they show very accurately.  The avionics shop did a thorough calibration job, which is key to the gauges showing correctly.

The fuel totalizer on the JPI completes the deal - fuel used/remaining/reserve/etc are all very handy.

The rest of the parts were either scrapped or sold on eBay.

Thanks for the complement. I am very happy with the new panel, and after all, that's what is important. Eye candy!

Sam,

Your plane looks great.  To answer your own Questions...why not?  I really don't value (for expense) the ability to have data history for the difference in price...I would prefer to have a Garmin 696 with my "crappy" your description of early Garmin GPS 300GNCXL panel mount wired to 696 and separate digital gauges for all primary engine (less fuel which I don't rely on even though mine are still accurate as I sump) and EI fuel flow w/GPS integration.  I will not be DOWN if I lose one gauge vs. your All IN ONE BASKET unit.  The digital independent EI gauges are updated vs. original six pack for a reduced price point.

Bottome line I would do the MVP-50 if cost was NOT a consideration...but it was/is and I will be satisfied with my option.

I like my gnc300xls!! Not as sexy, but gets the job done!  I have been looking at the new JPI 730 with fuel flow.  EI gets better reviews though. I think the important thing is, do you have egt and cht for all cylinders?  Replacing a cylinder because the manifold leak happened to not be on the cylinder with the egt/cht sucks. It also costs more then the gauge that could prevent that.   Bottom line is you probably know what you need for your situation and people just let you know what they got so you can compare and see if maybe that could work for you. Everyones missions and finances are different. Your projected panel layout looks awesome as does the 930 and it gets me thinking about what I want to do. 

Thanx

Good luck

Eldeano-Me too (regarding Garmin 300).  I have Gem now, but will have G3 when it comes out in early 2011.  (primary for cylinder temp and Exhaust).  I agree with many different ways (to outfit a plane) and price points of users...but paint and eye candy are a distant second to function and $.  Thanks for comments.

Jim:

No, can't say that it belonged to Norm. It used to be a hideous brown, tan, and white scheme, hence the nick name - i.e. "Waltzing Matilda".   It did however belong to a doctor in St Pete 2 owners ago, then went to Virginia, where I found it.  The paint job is a product of my wife & I, showing her college colors (Florida State University). The guys at Bartow Airport (KBOW) did the job about 2 years ago.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND these folks - start to finish in 3 weeks, complete strip and paint using my basic scheme that I printed out, reasonable cost too.

Sam

• 1 month later...

Co-pilot/right panel upgrade update.  Annual and install of EI Tach, MP, Oil Pres/Temp, Fuel Flow and super clock completed at annual.  All went O.K.  My panel template was a No-Go as vertical six pack could NOT BE DONE with 696 to the left (panel space considerations).  The test template worked with 696/panel dock and horizontal six pack of EI gauges. 3/4" from center stack to 696 3/4" to horizontal six pack and 3/4" to right side of panel.  I am having my existing circuit breakers re-done/moved with what will now be an avionics bus and panel bus with power outlet on far right.  Existing OEM six pack fuel gauges only will remain.  I will post photos when complete.  I already had it wired for a 496 panel dock, so only had to replace power cord.  The input to my 300XL will cross-fill the 696 with flight plan data.  The fuel flow has also been connected to give GPS data (regarding available fuel to destination) based on panel mount input.

I am looking forward to flying behind the updated panel and the 696!

LaughingThanks Dave.  You were definitely the "siren call" on this one...You got me thinking about my cranning neck to see my 496 on the right...and all the talk of the MVP-50 made me think "it would be nice to upgrade the engine instruments"...I sold my 496 and have only purchased the dock for the 696.  They keep coming down so keep your fingers crossed for a little bonus to "git 'r done" in early March.  That is when I really start to fly more.  Photos to follow...

Quote: JimR

Is that Norm "the Mooney Miser" Smith's old bird you've got there?  Paint scheme looks similar and I know that he was from South Florida.

Norm's plane didn't look that good when it came out of the paint shop, and after flying through some rain, it looked even worse. After Norm passed away several years ago, his family was attempting to sell it for some unrealistic price. The plane had issues, a recent gear up, and I don't know where it is now, nor do I recall his name for it.

Norm sleeping at airshow exhibits with that prop topped hat is missed. He was one-of-a-kind.

RIP, Norm.