What should i get?

Samurai Husky

33 minutes ago, Samurai Husky said:

Though im starting to get conflicting answers :P some people are saying transition asap, some are saying put more time in. So, a bit confused there.

To clarify my position, I was not aware that you have not soloed. Learn to fly in a trainer. But after that, I think it is OK to transition to a more capable aircraft but only with capable and effective training. The only way I learned the complexity of flying XC 1000 miles at a time was to do it and with a CFI. But I already had a couple hundred hours in various planes before I stepped into a advanced aircraft. You are flying a Cirrus now - keep doing that if you want. Also get some time in a C172, C150, and whatever you get your hands on. Rent until you are ready to buy.  Buy the right plane and it will be cheaper to fly than renting. Perhaps find a partnership with more seasoned owners and pilots that can mentor you. My F was a partnership and a stepping stone. I learned a lot from my partners and sold the plane for more than I bought it for. 

I purchased a Mooney 231 with 100 hours and maybe 20 of that in a piper arrow.  I can say mastering the airplane was not that difficult, lets call it 50 hours (mastering might be a strong word), what is more difficult in the experience of long cross counties where there is a whole bunch of trouble an inexperienced pilot can find himself.  Some one hand mentioned a mentor, if you could find an experience pilot to do some of these longer XC with you that would be golden.  As a VFR pilot with some IFR training that's something that was never taught to me and its something I had to experience by myself and I think that is where the trouble can happen.  A faster plane with longer legs allows you to find more trouble.  I did my first real XC last summer crossing the country in three days, there was a whole load of sh.. I've never seen before, some of it I should not have been in, weather changes over a 4-5 hour period.

For me it  is the experience of the longer XC and less so the airplane (although I do understand the Rocket is a light nose heavy, big engine on a mid size body).

So is everyone considering KPAO TO KPHX XC? 

I drive it twice a year, so i am very familiar with the route from ground level. when i do a flight plan, it basically takes me exactly the same way as i drive. I know its not the same as driving, Im just saying that im familiar with the route, the towns, the terrain etc. so im not flying completely blind. Ive done it enough over the past 8 years, i could probably follow the highway VFR all the way there with out GPS.

I gave up on going to Chicago on my own (another victory for the forums); I wont try that until i build enough time, get IFR and will probably co-fly it once with someone. I think if i go to Chicago, Its better to fly to PHX, drop the dogs off at the parents house and then fly commercial back there. 

I wont be able to show my plane off to my friends, But hey, better than dieing. Well see how things go; I might wait until I have a twin until i attempt crossing the Rockies and that is several years out. Maybe if i had a few weeks off i could go down to phx, over to dallas then up from there. Scratch that, make that Austin, much better food, smaller legs. Again, not to worry, not happening any time soon; just day dreaming.

so lets do some recap; 

1. PPL 

2. Rent, but dont  get IFR; Just enough to get familiar with flying. Expand out to farther and farther airports. Build my 100+ hour time. This is where the PHX question above comes in. I would like to fly myself to xmas this year if possible and if even more possible some time in the summer; I guess we will see how things go.

3. (Yea or Nea) Look at the Following Planes:

M20J- seems to be the most recommended

M20M - keeps coming up, but i thought it was 'too much plane' I think it came up 3 separate times. 

Piper Arrow - because this is a mooney forum and it seems this was the first plane people used before going into one.

4. test drive said plane; I think i can rent all 3 from the flying club, but I need a CFI to do a check out with.

5. Figure out which one works and buy

6. If Money, Call Don, become his best friend and put in 20-40 hrs with him in the new plan to get 'complex' rating and plane familiar

7. Glass it up and IFR (unless its the M20M, if i go that route, in which case the glass is already there, i think i would just pay for the more expensive one with the G1000 already in it since thats what i am leaning on in the Cirrus).

8. complain to the forums every day how you all talked me in to a Mooney and make everyone's lives miserable. (jk)

9. get some (few hundred) hours then reassess everything; Maybe it will be time to move up to a twin, maybe just to a turbo; best not to plan this far ahead.  

Yes you can fly a J LOP from KPAO, or KSQL TO KPHX (or Scottsdale) and land with well more than a hour in the tanks. I've done it several times in my J. Normally I run ROP, because I like flying fast, and even ROP a J is a reasonably economical aircraft for her speed. Running LOP I can cut my fuel flow to just under 9 GPH, and with 64 gallons in the tank, this is an easy flight, especially west to east where you can often pick up a tailwind. By the way the first airplane I owned was a 231 (later converted to a 261). I bought her at around 200 hours of experience, and I earned my Instrument and commercial ratings in that airplane. Flew her everywhere (Alaska, Canada, Mexico, many islands of the Caribbean, and all through the US) in the next 18 years. Flying will present you with a whole new world. But prepare yourself for lifetime learning. I've been flying for more than 40 years now, and there isn't a flight when I don't learn something. I still attend at least 6 or 7 Wings seminars a year, plus all sorts of workshops. Remember the ancient but true saw: There are old pilots and bold pilots, but few old bold pilots.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:04 PM, sailon said:

YIKES.  I have been shadowing this thread, and feel I must speak up.  I obtained my instrument rating 11 years ago in Grummans and Pipers, have owned a Piper Arrow, which I was comfortable with flying "in the system."  THEN, my CFI let me train in his 252.  I thought I was comfortable with instrument flying.  Well there is instrument flying, and then there is instrument flying in a high performance airplane.  Also, there is training when the sun is out, and then there is actual IFR when the rain is flying.  IFR training is the mastery of procedures, and flying in the National Airspace System.  Throw a turbo Mooney into the mix, and you are adding speed control, engine management, autopilot management, and expectations that ATC places on fast aircraft.  To sum up, I had to learn instrument flying all over again when I stepped into the 252.  I just cannot comprehend attempting to learn instrument flight in a turbocharged Mooney.  Also, the examiner will test you on all of the aircraft systems during your instrument check ride.  (GPS, autopilot, etc)  Suggest you get your instrument in a basic Piper or Cessna without the fancy widgets, then move up to a complex aircraft.  At the risk of flames, a fixed gear Saratoga or 206 would be an excellent choice for your mission.  Now that I have been trained on the 252, I am enjoying my new (to me) "F"

Welcome to the Forum.

• Like 1

It's interesting to contrast this thread with another from a couple days ago titled "I'm a first time Mooney buyer - help."

In the other thread the prospective buyer is an ex-military pilot currently flying airliners. He's leaning towards a 252 though some are steering him towards the J.

In this thread we have an early-20s pre-solo student pilot who's leaning towards a Rocket though some are steering him towards the J.

I gave my $0.02 on page 1, but that was before I knew the age and point in training the OP was at.

I admire youthful exuberance but wisdom comes with age. I wish I could have both, but if I had to choose between the two, as a pilot I'd pick wisdom every time. I wish I had even more.

Other than the concern over rising interest rates, what's the rush? It's the journey that truly matters. Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Samurai Husky said:

Wwait What? 

Who said i was early 20's? I said earlier that im 35, almost 36.... Granted i act much younger than my age, blame the internet and gen X :)

Has everyone been operating under the impression that i was early 20's?

No, you clearly stated your age a few pages back...but the number of responses in his thread make it hard to keep up.  But IMO age has little to do with this discussion.  I'm sure some individuals have been riding around in small planes for as long as they can remember.  Seat time matters IMO and even if you can't see over the dash they are gaining useful experiences little by little.

I will say the two most common statements I get from friends and extended family (non pilots) is

-how nice it would be to fly from xxx to xxx (normally a long flight) without worrying about security or baggage claim etc

-How cheap it would be to drop down to the Bahamas (exotic locations) if they owned a plane.

The only reason I bring this up is some of the members might've been concerned with the desire to get an expensive, complex, high performance, pressurized, and fast aircraft to make trips less stressful and more convenient.

Hello Sam,

I´ve read this whole thread now several times and I must say, I am quite amazed at the kind of reception you did get here. Sometimes, if I read this kind of stuff, I do not wonder anymore why younger people are put off flying altogether.

You´ve stated what you want to do, you´ve been unusually open about your possibilities and intentions, which maybe gets some people to doubt that you are genuine. Yet, you strike me like someone who will take a decision and go through with it and who has the (financial) possibility to do this. That is quite unusual for many here.

I have encountered two people like you in the past who got slammed in the forums when they came in and asked what to buy as a student pilot. Well, both of those have taught their critics a massive lesson. One of them today is flying an Eclipse, the other one a Cessna 210. The latter one was told in no unclear terms that going from a Katana school plane to a 210 directly would most certainly kill him and being the arrogant bastard they deemed him to be told him to buy a 172 for a few decades and then go on. Luckily he did not listen but bought his 210, did his IR and today happily roams Europe with a highly capable airplane. While I am at it, I also remember a guy I trained with who went from flying Cessna 150ties for his PPL straight on the right hand seat of a Saab 2000 and after that in the left of the MD80 and subsequently the 747 classic. He had 200 hrs when he went to the airlines. 

Myself, I am one example how you CAN go from a Cessna 150 to a much more complex plane without killing yourself. The 2nd airplane type I ever flew was a Baron folllowed by extensive Seneca flying. I today own a Mooney because I can´t afford a Seneca, which would be my favorite, maybe after the Twin Commanche. I own it because it brings the most bang for  the buck I have.

Having said all this, I´d like to address your original question. The thing which immediately hit me when I read through is the fact you want to transport two rather large dogs. That is not an easy thing to do, even in a car, let alone an airplane. And frankly, as much as I love my C model Mooney, I don´t think the relatively small cabins of Mooney woud be the best choice for something like that. If any, then the large cabin Ovation or Acclaim.

Your instructor wants to put you onto a Cirrus and I have to say he has a point for several reasons. First: You are a young pilot and inexperienced and the parashute rescue system is certainly something which might safe your life. Second, the cabin of the Cirrus is quite wide, probably one of the widest in the industry. And they are generally well equipped. Whether I would like to fly with 2 large dogs in the rear in a Cirrus is another matter. But for your mission, a SR22 would certainly be very attractive.

I would actually like to throw two more planes into the hat. They got the same cell and are large enough to do the task, but they are very different in terms of capability.

For me, the machine which fits your profile superbly would be a Seneca II or III. Yes, I know that is a twin. Yes, you can fly it with enough training after you finish your PPL and possibly your IR. But a Seneca will separate the "dog kennel" behind the pilots seats quite neatly from the flight deck. You could put a net in between and be done with it. The dogs even would have their own door.

If you would stay single engine, I´d consider a Saratoga. Same cell, single engine.

Now Senecas can be found at a fraction of your budget, so you´d stay with a lot of money to refurbish, upgrade and finally fly it. It will deliver some 160-170 kts, some 1000 NM range (123 USG) and is a very solid and easy plane to fly once you are proficient on the 2nd engine. It will require training, lots of it, but it will deliver.

If you are going for a Mooney, I´d say a long fusellage one would be the best, that is either an Eagle, Ovation or Acclaim.

You should certainly follow your dream, but do so in a serious fashion. Get as much and the best of flight training you can get. Do longer flights but only if you are comfortable. Find yourself a FI who is cabaple and who is willing to follow your dreams as well as your right seater for complex trips. If you do that, you cant really go wrong.

• Like 1

Wwait What? 

Who said i was early 20's? I said earlier that im 35, almost 36.... Granted i act much younger than my age, blame the internet and gen X

Has everyone been operating under the impression that i was early 20's?

I apologize for mis-stating your age; that was my mistake. Seeing now that you're 35 I feel a little better about your youthful exuberance, but still as a pre-solo student this all still seems like a big rush-job.

I appreciate your consideration of the pups and your stated safety goals. My bet is that you'll be flying a pressurized twin soon enough, but quite frankly it scares the hell out of many of us to hear of your significant ambitions at such an early phase in your pilot training. Not a single person here wants you to have an accident, and all advice given is solely in concern of your health.

Like you, I was not able to feed my flying bug until later in life and went in whole hog. Bought a plane before I had my PPL and was going to finish using it. And like you, flying only once a week was very frustrating, so whenever I had the chance to do so, I went out to the airport (5 mins. from my house), took the plane out and practiced. Touch and goes, stalls and anything else I could. One day I was working on cross wind landings and was getting pretty good at nailing them - until a gust caught my upwind wing and flipped me over. (see first pic below) I was very lucky and walked away with a plane totaled and no other damage. Took me a year from then to finish my PPL.

It's not that we are worried you will make a mistake, but, like ersatz parents, some of us have made mistakes ourselves, been fortunate enough to recover but don't want to see anyone else go through what happens when the outcome is not as good.

I looked at your original posting and saw you were looking for a $100-150K plane. Your other requirements about useful load, speeds and feeds brought a J model to mind. Several of us here run Pilots and Paws trips and use our J's when doing so. The later models have rear seats that lay down so cargo space for multiple large animals is sufficient. And with your resources ($$), desire and technical knowledge (H/W or S/W eng?) you will be able to adapt to or install whatever advanced avionics you want to use.

And for the definition of a bad second day at work, check out the time stamp on both pics. New airport manager started 10/11/2003. And, no, that is not a tail dragger King Air.

Cessna N52254 crash 001.jpg

Cessna N52254 crash 003.jpg

9 hours ago, daver328 said:

octogenarians.

? Really octogenarians. Lol!

Dave I have a 82 yr old friend who still flies a Aerostar, steam gauges no new dumb stuff, a couple weeks ago he had an engine fire and declared an emergency put it down on the centerline in Long Island, just flew up to see the damage, the out engine caught fire, 82 and still sharp flying hard IRF. It is still being done.

13 hours ago, Danb said:

S.H. Take a read of 201ers post of his adventure last week in his J. NY to FtPierce Fl. Non-stop, along with his trip in total. It give you a great idea what a J can do.

His J has extended Monroy tanks that give you close to 100 gallons vs standard 64.

Then monroy extended tanks can be installed on most Mooney's as long as they have not been modified with bladders.

The inventor and STC holder is a member on this site.

-Seth

Thanks everyone; 

I am well aware of the risks in aviation as started much earlier in the thread, I lost my grandfather in a plane crash. He was in a king air on a business trip; They were flying IFR in the mountains outside of Massachusetts when the pilot called in asking for a course update. The airport responded and a few minutes later, radio silence. It would appear that the airport was upgrading their systems due to a malfunctioning device (i dont know what device, this was in the 80's so probably the radar system); the eyewhitness said the plane went straight into the side of the mountain, no survivors. The new equipment was sitting in a box waiting to be installed at the airport. For those that are interested http://www.nytimes.com/1986/12/11/us/6-die-in-plane-crash-in-berkshires.html, Hardest Christmas of my life. 

So when people come after me saying i dont know how dangerous flying can be and that i am acting wreckless (even though i haven't actually done anything yet) it really gets me upset. There is nothing worse than losing a family member to tragity and i hope most of you are seeing that while there is a thick layer of exuberants, there is another layer of due diligence. 

@Urs_Wildermuth I am a IT Manager/Network Engineer/Project Manager/'the guy'. Been working on computers since i was 6. Somehow my mom con'ed me into doing data entry work for her. $7 for 10 days of data entry? woohoo. Though i must admit, there really isnt that much in the computer industry that excites me anymore. A lot of it is just repeating with slightly better specs, so i am probably getting to that burn out stage where most people quit and become a chef, start winery or take up flying. 

Back to Planes!

I spent a good deal of time looking at the J's last night; but when i look a the cost for one this is the re-occurring theme

A. does need a new engine in the next 100 hours? OH $36000?

B. The asking price? some as low as 64k-160k (need the back seat removable or fold-able, so that limits the options)

C. The cost of putting in update Avionics; Est $70-110k

D. the Min/Max on the resell. (see asking price)

While i have been completely ignoring the interior because of the dogs (not that i think they will mess anything up, other then shedding); it would be another expense at sale.

So when all is said and done; The price starts creeping up to 180-190k which i would never get anywhere near back. Am I calculating that out correctly? 

So dont know if i can really justify it; It would seem that getting a Ovation2GX http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1418577/2005-mooney-m20r-ovation2-gx would be better or M20M? There are a few really nice O2GX for about 200k; A m20m for 260k; While this is the top end of the budget; but If this will be a plane that i hang on to until twin then I can justify spending a little more. When i asked the question earlier, I never got a response. It seemed that a few people were 100% against getting anything that flew fast. The 'J' is pretty much the same specs as the cirrus i am in now (at least on paper); So am I still over reaching by looking O2's and 20M's?

PS (not to drive people crazy) I started to look at p210n's again; I figure if im going to go slower then 200knts, then it puts me into a non-modified p210n which is much cheaper. http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1412607/1982-cessna-p210n 

PS i know i am posting links to planes, and that probably makes you think I am going to go out and buy one today; THIS ISNT THE CASE. I am trying to learn what to look for and what make a good deal on a plane with little risk; So if i am posting something, its not to get your 'looks good buy it'; its for you to tell me if i am making good choices when i pick out planes i would be interested in, so no, i havent called anyone, or emailed anyone about a plane.. Im still sticking to the plan and will worry about actually buying something after PPL when i feel i am ready. 

Sometimes it's more about load and cargo space than speed that defines your mission. Very sorry to read of your loss. I think your instructor is obviously Cirrus biased just as we love our Mooney's but he is not you just as we are not you. Personally if I had your means and need for space I would look at a 182 has good performance can carry a bunch two doors and has a more forgiving wing. If you decide to stick to your guns and go for that fast Mooney I would see if you can start training on one if possible. I mentioned before about contacting Don Kaye he is based in Santa Clara. Whatever you decide I wish you happy trails.

Piper just announced a new lower price for the Matrix and the M500. 

http://generalaviationnews.com/2016/03/25/piper-cuts-prices-on-two-models/

A Matrix or Meridian will haul a lot of dogs.  I had up to 30 dogs at a time (in crates) in my P46T on some rescue flights.

Perhaps those are out of your price range for now.   If you did get a P46T, count on your insurer mandating up to 150 hours of dual before you solo. 

Easy non-stop from Northern CA to PHX. 

Just now, Jerry 5TJ said:

Piper just announced a new lower price for the Matrix and the M500. 

http://generalaviationnews.com/2016/03/25/piper-cuts-prices-on-two-models/

A Matrix or Meridian will haul a lot of dogs.  I had up to 30 dogs at a time (in crates) in my P46T on some rescue flights.

Perhaps those are out of your price range for now.   If you did get a P46T, count on your insurer mandating up to 150 hours of dual before you solo. 

Easy non-stop from Northern CA to PHX. 

$250 is the limit for everything. Whether it be a plane for 100k but needs work, or 250k for the perfect g1000 setup with tks, low airframe/engine etc. I did take a look at the Mirage (matrix is way outside of range), as i heard the early Malibu's had heat problems; But over all based on what everyone has been telling me in this forum, it seems like something of that class would be to much plane for me right now; Dont get me wrong; I think the size,carry, speed and range + pressurization all line up for exactly what i am looking for in a plane, more so than a p210. But the price (starting at over 350k) would keep me out of it. Maybe things will change in the next year financially, but experience wise, maybe its best to go with something a bit more forgiving before i venture in the cabin class planes.

Wow that 210 has a great panel.  If you get serious about a 210 I'd look into renting a 182 (RG if flying w/ instructor) at your club.  Keep in mind a 30-40 YO p210 is going to be expensive to maintain.  The example you listed has 1500 hr smoh but with the low overall time it could be 25+ years since that was done...age and hr's are both important IMO.

I really think an eagle or ovation is a great way to go as far as good deals.  Also ask yourself if you really need a top of the line panel.  If you put 100k into the panel you will get < half of it back when you sell the aircraft.  Put a new Aspen (or g500) and garmin gps/nav/com in for 30-40k and call that good.

Just now, Godfather said:

Also ask yourself if you really need a top of the line panel.  If you put 100k into the panel you will get < half of it back when you sell the aircraft.  Put a new Aspen (or g500) and garmin gps/nav/com in for 30-40k and call that good.

I agree that you get upgrade an older panel to mostly glass with tremendous capability for a lot less than you've been told. I spent $50k installed for GTN 750, Aspen, JPI EDM 930, GLD 88, a new audio panel and transponder in a 50 year old M20E. It might not look like the Cirrus glass but I have GPSS weather and traffic and I'm 2020 compliant. I already had the STEC 50 autopilot and the Stormscope. I do not have pre-select for altitude or rate of climb/descent and I do not have SV but I could have if I thought it would be useful.

Our point is that even a 10 year old plane did not come out of the factory with the panel you can retrofit to much older airframes. 

N943RW 20140519 9500 ROP 70 percent 158k .jpg

• Like 3

Things we have established...

1) Sam is ultimately familiar with the dangers involved with flying.  (Sorry for you having to learn that way)

2) He is also familiar with high level equipment not being able to provide a big enough safety blanket.

3) He is also learning we are in support of his goals.   

4) Everyone gets to learn that writing is a challenge.  

5) Some people are better at it than others.  

6) Some statements can easily have more than one meaning.

7) Some variations in meaning can be based on the different parts of the world we live in.

8) Enthusiasm is easily confused with youth.  Whether the OP is 22 or 35 isn't going to make much of a difference.

9) Enthusiasm is easily mis-understood as youthful optimism, lacking seriousness.

10) a Strong focus on having a glass cockpit can be mis-understood.  As if this will somehow improve one's safety.  It can, but it is the pilot that does the interpretation.

11) Flying a fast plane that can go a long distance isn't the dangerous part. A cross country flight (50 mile or more) can run into serious weather issues.

12) It is not the plane.  It is the pilot.

13) It is not the digital or analog instruments. It is the pilot.

14) It is the pilot.  It is the experience that counts.  Training is the beginning, building on that comes naturally, over time.

15) The side discussion of how to save money over your flying career is interesting, but not THE driving force.

16) The side discussion of how to buy a plane with a glass instrument panel is interesting, but not the driving force.

17) The side discussion of what is going to ride in the back.  Is probably left for a separate thread.  Large dogs have a tendency to change weight and balance of the plane.  It can be a real challenge if they are changing the balance while flying.

18) You have waited a few days to show you understand all this. That IS inner strength.

19) What's next in the plan?

For a point of reference.  At 35, I had just bought my Old M20C.  There were four of us traveling to keep up with family.  The discussions of safety can get pretty deep at home as well.  They are happy to see you, and afraid of losing you, at the same time.  Probably, Just how parents are...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Samurai Husky said:

PS i know i am posting links to planes, and that probably makes you think I am going to go out and buy one today; THIS ISNT THE CASE. I am trying to learn what to look for and what make a good deal on a plane with little risk; So if i am posting something, its not to get your 'looks good buy it'; its for you to tell me if i am making good choices when i pick out planes i would be interested in, so no, i havent called anyone, or emailed anyone about a plane.. Im still sticking to the plan and will worry about actually buying something after PPL when i feel i am ready. 

Or you're excited and dreaming about what you might want someday...  These guys on Mooneyspace are just "Some guy on the internet."  You don't need to justify everything.  You don't know us and we don't know you...For the best advice, find someone at West Valley Flying Club who knows you and talk to them.  Just because someone is on Mooneyspace, certainly doesn't make them an expert, that includes me.  Although I am an expert  :)

Sorry, busy day today; This post is a accumulation of all the posts that have come in; I just keep adding :P

@Godfather

Yea; best one i've seen; It doesnt list the price, but because its due of a OH imminently, i was hoping it was in the 250's; I think with that panel and a fresh OH its worth the 300k (based on the resell prices i have seen); Right now I am under the impression that any OH is going to be 32-50k; So when i look at engine time, i have been keeping that in mind; Reselling a plane with 100hrs left on it will take a larger hit then doing a OH and then selling (or am i off on that one?);

For the panel, As a new pilot; I find its a lot easier for me to get all my information looking in 1 place. When we did PFD out training in the cirrius, i found it difficult to see the horizon, speed and alt all at once. I had to look down, pause, lookup, look down pause, lookup etc. I am sure that gets easier with time and experience; but  i would rather the steam gauges be a 'option' to use rather then a necessity. Sure the Aspin will do the same thing at a lower cost, but all my experience has been done on a Garmin; So i am not sure how well I will adjust. Right now looking at the g1000, is like looking at a large screen TV; everything is big bold and in your face, so i only need to glance down and i have all my information. I dont have to focus; Does that make sense? 

@Bob_Belville

Ok, that answers an earlier question i had. I was operating under the prices i was getting on redoing a twin (just half); Yea, 180k to redo a panel in a 340a, already asked. 

I just figured that modifying a J with 50k of glass wouldn't really be worth it because by the time you had it done, your only 30k or so away for a newer O2. But if your saying i could do something like http://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/1403549/1984-mooney-m20j put 50k into it and end up paying 130k for a plane that i can then resell for 110k; then it would be worth it; Im ok taking a 20k-30k hit on a plane that i can fly around for the next few years. If your saying, no your more likely to take a 50k hit.... then i think i think the economics do not make sense?

The 70k difference only comes out to be about $300/m between doing this and doing a O2; which is why i asked what would be the wiser decision. Again, were talking hypothetical's here.

To everyone; You are all being VERY helpful, I know i might be coming off as indecisive or stubborn, but its all part of my rationalization process. The feed back has been great and is helping me determine a path. Personally i operate better when i have long term goals set. I am sure some people will say the goal is to get my PPL then reset; but in my mind PPL isnt a goal, its just a way point on this journey. So Level 1 PPL > x hours > first plane. Level 2 IFR >y hours > plane 2. Level 3 ME >Z hours >plane 3. 

@carusoam

I completely agree with everything you have said.

Good point on the dogs; both my dogs are about 60lbs each; wasn't sure how much that would affect the CG and W&B in a plane this size. I know on paper it will, but didn't know if it would be that noticeable in actual flight. 

Whats the next plan? Fly, a lot; Though it would be easier to fly a lot of my instructor would stop canceling on me. It was another reason for being so stubborn yesterday, though he said that the turbulence was really bad so i will chalk it up to weather again. The reason i might sound so rushed is I know I have soooooo much to work on to be proficient, and i cant freely work on them until i go solo. I know i talk big about all these trips i want to do, but that's all it is, 'want'; I was perfectly happy the other day flying S turns on a 25knt day; My instructor didnt say anything the entire time because at every turn i was the one that said 'nope, too steep' 'nope to shallow'; I literally could have stayed out there for 5 hours or until i ran out of gas trying to perfect a S turn. Right now i would be up there flying S turns because i know its something i need to work on. Ok lets be honest, I need to work on EVERYTHING.

I come from the video game generation. Its not good enough to get to the next level, true experts can get to the next level flawlessly and that takes time and dedication and practice. I just want to practice on my own console instead of going to the arcade every day :( is that so wrong?

I think that someone explained it better in another forum. A PPL isnt a license to do anything, Its a license to learn with out supervision. Maybe i should have said that earlier instead of starting out with laying out missions across the Rockies.  

@jrwilson

Ha! if i talk to them, i would be in a Cirrus! Seriously, the PAO tie down area is starting to look like a Cirrus dealership; that and 182's; But mostly Cirrus.

As for your meme, I wanted to do a Up meme with the dog, but instead of 'SQUIRREL!" replace it with "PLANE!" which is how i feel right now. I think in general i have a better idea of what to look for than i did a few days ago.