What should i get?

Samurai Husky

yea,, the impression i was given was that flying schools are worse; 

The pilots i talked at the airport said that the ones out here are no better than a flying club. With a school, they ask for all of the money upfront (yes, the whole 20k) and guarantee that you will pass your ppl in X hours. I was cautioned about that because they give you just the minimums to get your license. I didnt know what my learning curve would be and didnt want to feel forced or pressured into learning at their pace or end up paying their overage charges if i needed more time.

The Club/CFI model was better because if i didnt like the CFI or plane or what ever, i could just change at will. Also the school was very regimented, meaning that they only had classes at certain times. I wanted the flexibility to either fly more or less depending on my work schedule. Right now my work schedule has been light, though that can change in a instant as i have no clue what sales are up to.

I feel like i made the right choice because i was able to do ground school on my own in a lot less time. Since i have already finished 2 ground schools, every lesson i am given i already know the material, so its just a matter of doing it instead of trying to remember, apply and do.

That totally doesn't describe the flying schools/FBOs I know. You should go visit a few. Flying schools are just places that rent planes and have CFIs. They don't have to be structured part 141 schools to be called a school.

We are talking part 61 schools. Most of us here didn't go to the kind of school you're describing.

My school gets people through Private for about 8k I bet... Pay as you go. Change anything anytime you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Then i dont have a clue; I asked a bunch of people and did some research and this is were i ended up.

Did you look at my flying club? I've posted the link several times. from what you describe, it sounds like what i am already doing.

http://www.wvfc.org/instructors

http://www.wvfc.org/aircraft

http://www.wvfc.org/membership/information

There is nothing wrong with a club. But you should know that only looking at clubs is very limiting. I bet 80% of people other than those going to aviation colleges or military, get their licenses through part 61 flight schools.

Not considering such operations severely limits your options and what you stated earlier shows that you don't fully understand the lay of the land....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

SH and I have a lot in common only I did not ask questions the way he does I own a 231k, I wish that I had asked as many questions as he did . There is no way I would ever train in a cirrus . With that being said I wish my 231k was a tricked out J , I don't have my license yet hopefully I will by the end of the week . This is a hard group and I think that is because the K and up are hard airplanes and the pilots attitude reflects that. It may seem a little harsh but nobody is steering you wrong . Don't take everything that has been posted to heart but pay attn to what they say and take it into consideration as you train .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SH-

I posted the following in the other thread.

Seriously.  Change your aircraft to a 172 or PA-28.  Relearn everything, internalize it, get muscle menory, then transition to a Cirrcus, Moonry, or 182.

I don't usually post where I sounds this way. However reading all these, making these recommendations now multiple times, and being ignored is bothering me.

You came came here for advice!  Here it is again.  You want to be a pilot of a high performance aircraft.  We love the enthusiasm.

Get in a 172 or PA-28.  A TRAINER.  Learn the basics.  Internalize the basics.  Solo.  Get your PPL. 

Then buy your airplane and attain your IFR OR transition back to the Cirrus at that time and start your IFR training until you buy your first aircraft and complete.

$30,000 for a PPL is (expliclative) redicoluous.  I'm a financial advisor and my first piece of advice to my pilot clients is to sell their airplanes.  But really I say I understand the passion, but it's a lifestyle choice and if I ever say you need to sell, then sell!!

I am a level headed guy and good friend as many on MoonySpace can attest, and I hope this doesn't sound harsh, but I don't want to hear another post period until you have booked an hour in a 172, PA-28, or other actual trainer.

Just book it and let us know; doesn't have to be flown. Just booked.  We will help and assist with what you need to know about the trainer aircraft you book.  

You are doing yourself a HUGE disservice flying the Cirrus at this point.  Transition back to it later after you have internalized maneuvers, take offs, and landings on an actual trainer.  Stay ahead of the aircraft.  Slower speeds help that!!!!!!

I do not wish to see another post from you until your booking of the training aircraft is complete.  Exeption:  if you have a variety is training aircraft and want recommendations or suggestions, that is permissible.  That's the only exception.  Book the darn trainer.

I am young at 34, have over 1100 hours and am on my second Mooney that cruises at 180+ knots.  First cruised at 148 knots.  Bought it at 120 hours.

Get into a trainer.  Let us know once it's booked.  I love your enthusiasm - we all do.  Get into a gosh darn trainer and learn how to fly then transition to a high performance aircraft.

Crawl before you walk, walk before you run. Then win the 100 yard dash.

Post back once you've booked a training aircraft.  PM me if you want to chat by phone or by email.  I do not want to see another post, not even an "ok" unless it say "booking a trainer," "trainer booked," or "which trainer to book."  We want you to succeed and are happy to share advice.

Take care,

-Seth

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N5756v said:

Srry I know my posts are not well laid out but I hope you get the gist. Did I mention I hate to type

Is your name Gary too? its in your signature?

Wait.... are you future me? 

no PPL, buying a k (though i was aiming for a rocket), Hating the cirrus, same first name..... It all adds up!

I just wish there was a 1982+ J at my airport so i could look to see how big the back seat/cargo area is.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, N5756v said: Srry I know my posts are not well laid out but I hope you get the gist. Did I mention I hate to type

Is your name Gary too? its in your signature?

Wait.... are you future me? 

no PPL, buying a k (though i was aiming for a rocket), Hating the cirrus, same first name..... It all adds up!

I just wish there was a 1982+ J at my airport so i could look to see how big the back seat/cargo area is.

Hahahahaha I actually ment more money then brains and always dreaming