Fuel Tranducer Issue

LFOD

After a generally uneventful annual, we have run into a snag.  Apparently my fuel transducer is bad causing an inaccurate reading on the fuel pressure gauge. Apparently, there is a conversion that is done due to this being an issue for several aircraft of my vintage. Has anyone heard of this or experienced this nut roll before?

Part number for the transducer: PDCR 821-0662-30

Thanks.

If you've still got the original Rochester gauge, you may need to get the conversion kit from Mooney (~$2700) or buy a new gauge & transducer from Electronic International.  Ronnie at Dugosh knew something about this, you might give him a call.

The part from Mooney uses the same gauge as what's in there, but you change the transducer and add an amplifier.  Mooney should have the kit with all the parts necessary to make the conversion.

Quote: tablor

If you've still got the original Rochester gauge, you may need to get the conversion kit from Mooney (~$2700) or buy a new gauge & transducer from Electronic International.  Ronnie at Dugosh knew something about this, you might give him a call.

The part from Mooney uses the same gauge as what's in there, but you change the transducer and add an amplifier.  Mooney should have the kit with all the parts necessary to make the conversion.

If you want it to look factory with your existing factory gauge, it's expensive - probably a rip off.  You're best bet financially is to call EI and see what they have to offer.  You'll probably get out for ~$1000 with a new TSO'd gauge and maybe additional functionality.

• 3 months later...

We have 1991 MSE and after our recent annual inspection both the oil pressure and fuel pressure transducers went bad.  Extensive tests showed the units were shorted to ground.  It seems the FBO gave the engine a high power washing that drove moisture into the units by way of the electric feed wires.  

Only solution was replacing with new units.   About $800.00 each!   The FBO Will not power wash again.

• 3 months later...

A little under 1AMU is the answer for fuel transducer issues.  My mechanic had to do a lot of calibration work to get it working properly, but everything is good to go now.  If someone needs some more detailed information let me know and I can give my mechanic a call. And no, the transducer is not made of solid gold. 

Quote: LFOD

A little under 1AMU is the answer for fuel transducer issues.  My mechanic had to do a lot of calibration work to get it working properly, but everything is good to go now.  If someone needs some more detailed information let me know and I can give my mechanic a call. And no, the transducer is not made of solid gold. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

If anyone is interested in this or reads this post later on, Keystone instruments in Pennsyvania rebuilds the sending units in the fuel tank. The cost is about $145.00 in 2014. I just had mine done and they work great. They rebuild engine guage clusters too.

• Like 1