Stupid Ice

carl

Stupid Ice , because I hate the stuff. But this is on the ground right outside my hangar. I just got this hangar so it is new to me.

The asphalt has a small dip directly outside the hangar door. This dip fills up with water and then freezes.  When  I try to pull my M20 E out I can get no traction and fall. So my plane is stuck until spring. Well at night it will freeze here for a while still and I like to fly in the early morning .

Any ideas dealing with this situation. If it was my driveway I would use salt. but I don't think that is good idea with aircraft around.

Carl

Stupid Ice , because I hate the stuff. But this is on the ground right outside my hangar. I just got this hangar so it is new to me.

The asphalt has a small dip directly outside the hangar door. This dip fills up with water and then freezes. When I try to pull my M20 E out I can get no traction and fall. So my plane is stuck until spring. Well at night it will freeze here for a while still and I like to fly in the early morning .

Any ideas dealing with this situation. If it was my driveway I would use salt. but I don't think that is good idea with aircraft around.

Carl

OMG!! I was just complaining about this today as well! I have a heat torch but that won't work!

Frozen to the cement

post-9886-0-92620200-1424826748_thumb.jp

post-9886-0-28322900-1424826798_thumb.jp

all great answers.

I am looking at Cross City, Florida  only because it has a large airport and no population. Maybe cheap hangar rent?

I can't complain, well I can and will , but my rent is only 120 a month, you kind of do get what you pay for. They say it is from frost heave and "do you want the $300 hangar?"

RV antifreeze . Im going to get some today. And Ill start working on a long tow bar.

Global warming ??? I think we fixed it and are now in a global ice age again. But a faster plane is alway a good idea. 

shoe spikes cool idea .

carl   

Hey Gixxer, your plane is looking good but looks like it has pink lipstick around the spinner. is that a new closure that still needs paint? . if the door can be opened and all you need is grip you might just put down some sand. I feel for all you guys back east I got a nephew lives in Connecticut going to Yale I worry he is safe. think I will go open the door to my office cuz its so nice out right now.

I have blown a knee out messing with something similar. Then I wised up and put in for a South facing hangar.

South facing hangar: +1

I wear those shoe covers with spikes on the bottom. It works great.

Never thought of that. Great idea. Where do you get them?

How much can you burn at max cruise? At best, I can pump 26gph...31 in full power climb...I'm cheap so I aim for about 96lb/hour of dead dinosaurs in cruise.

Max power at take off, 2650RPM, 30"Hg, 36 GPH. Cruise at 20 GPH for better than 190KTAS.

Clarence

post-12030-0-06805000-1424820256_thumb.j

Man I get scared when I pull mine with a golf cart! Just make sure the truck is in 4-Low and hit it really hard right? That way the truck tires melt the ice. I remember snow in Chicago. It was incapacating some winters. You all are troopers! I just get to deal with Traffic!

-Matt

Man I get scared when I pull mine with a golf cart! Just make sure the truck is in 4-Low and hit it really hard right? That way the truck tires melt the ice. I remember snow in Chicago. It was incapacating some winters. You all are troopers! I just get to deal with Traffic!

-Matt

We got snow - we got ice - but no traffic at all.  Town of 17,000 - and a 6 min commute to work.