Sky-Ox Portable Oxygen

AmigOne

The first time I used it we were 2 and we used it for about two hours and then I had it refilled but I don't remember how much was left.  The second time I was by myself and and I only used it to test climbing to about 14K and descending, maybe 30-45' in total since I only started using it at 10 K and the remaining is still in the tank.  There are two outlets, canulas and masks (not sure if 1 or 2) included.  Although my system was used only twice, I have flown many times before with canulas with a friend in his Bonanza and canulas are the best.

For those like me and others who may no be familiar with oxygen systems can you please expand and clarify.  What would be the benefit of modifying the valve? What are these bottle found in Ebay? Also are you saying that given the small size of the SK 12-9 a hydro test is not necessary?

thanks 

Here's a pretty good page to compare sizes, type tanks, of portable systems. I bought a 22 cf aluminum tank fitted for 2 uses. The carrier hangs on the back of the co-pilot seat where I can reach the valve and flow control..

http://aerox.com/product-category/portable-oxygen-systems/

You can buy used medical bottles on ebay for cheap. Sadly the people who use them don't last to long. The medical bottles don't have the correct valve for the aviation regulators, but you can change it for not much money. The valve you need is made by Sherwood.

After you get the bottle, take it to your local cylinder shop that does hydro inspections and tell them what valve you want, they probably have it in stock, or they know how to get it. They will inspect and re-certify the bottle with the new valve. Then you are good to go! You can do all this for less then half of what you would pay for a new bottle from an aviation company.

• Like 1

For those like me and others who may no be familiar with oxygen systems can you please expand and clarify. What would be the benefit of modifying the valve? What are these bottle found in Ebay? Also are you saying that given the small size of the SK 12-9 a hydro test is not necessary?

thanks

What Turbo was referring to was the fact you could go out to a medical supplies company or eBay and pick up a cylinder used for a patient fairly inexpensively. These come with a fitting that is unique to the medical tank. http://www.cramerdeckermedical.com/category.php?category_id=2

Switching this regulator over to a CGA 540 used on aviation cylinders can be done rather inexpensively. The guys who sell aviation specific systems really jack up the price.

The real value of what you are selling is that the valve is already there.

As for the question on testing. No, they still needed to be hydrostatic tested regardless of size.

Here's a pretty good page to compare sizes, type tanks, of portable systems. I bought a 22 cf aluminum tank fitted for 2 uses. The carrier hangs on the back of the co-pilot seat where I can reach the valve and flow control..

http://aerox.com/product-category/portable-oxygen-systems/

That is the size I have as well Bob. It is just the right size for the lengths of trips we fly.

I flew over 2000 hours in my first Mooney and never had O2 on board. But getting an inexpensive oximeter at the drug store was a real eye opener. We now use oxygen at 8000' or even lower on longer flights. The 22 cf tank lasts at least 10 manhours at level "1" flow which is what we use up to about 10,000'. (My A&P does not charge me to fill the tank so I don't hesitate to use it.)