Ferry Delivery pilot?? My plane is left in Nevada

carl

Thanks 52H. Always great to have friends like you. Hope you feel better soon. Monday's weather is going to be amazing so I'm flying out that day. If you get time to squeeze in a few landings, there might be a great opportunity.

• 4 weeks later...

Mission accomplished in 2 days!! Had a blast with my daughter who capped our awesome trip with passing her CFI check with flying colors 2 days after we finished. The examiner was very impressed with her Mooney experience. Any of you guys need a little vintage mooney dual or ferry pilots, we would be happy to help!

1ff006ed703e09e2bc630a83abceed01.jpg490e0676a3473d68156b66e36d12b067.jpg42d91f045b34aede13f82a4f5654e893.jpg2a8db58e04c2b04e5acfca382c8a5f64.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I saw that on the ramp at JYO, guess it was just passing through and I recognise the hangars behind you in the group photo. Nice job. I would suggest to your daughter that she builds more time being a CFI and then consider joining the ranks of the Mooney Safety Foundations Instructors. It's a great group and they welcomed me into their ranks. Going to teach my second course in FMY next month.

My 1967 M20 E has arrived.

I have been working to get the plane for over 8 months. This plane was purchased from an estate, so it was tied up with two attorneys and a judge. But that’s another story.

I want to mention the amazing people I met through MooneySpace. I had gone out to Reno NV to get the plane and bring it back to Altoona Pennsylvania over my Christmas holiday. Because of a shipping problem with UPS they did not deliver the propeller till it was too late to meet my return deadline and I was forced to fly back on a commercial airline.

I posted a forum Ferry Delivery Pilot??My plane is left in Nevada

I did not have much hope, but after dinner I checked back and there were numerous replies. My insurance company was setting the requirements, and really wanted a high time, instructor, IFR Mooney pilot.

I got an email from Charlie Davies while he was overseas, who casually stated, “I’ll do it no problem.”

Well, I was curious as to how he would do this, when he was in China. His Mooney Space name is Charlesual   which I interpreted as Charlie Casual.

So I asked for a little bio background ; “ I been flying since college, bush pilot in Alaska, ski, floats, then turbines, jets, and now I fly a 777 from Dulles to China, right over the north pole.” He has over 25,000 hours and he owns a Mooney, his second one.  It then hit me it was not Charlie Casual, but Charles UAL as in United Airlines.

I thought, he should meet the requirements the insurance company wants. When I voiced this he said he would reach out to the insurance company and verify it was approved. He did it all. The next day my insurance sent an email verifying this.

He is from Leesburg VA which is close by, a couple hours’ drive, 30 minutes by Mooney.  

I could not go, but he said he would take his daughter along for the experience. She is a pilot too, as well as his wife Kelly.

So they went. Kelly would send me reports, flight plans and updates as it progressed. On day one they met with my mechanic in Minden NV, and did some testing and worked out some bugs getting everything finished up, transponder certified, Charlie did the test flight over the airport. It was a while since this plane flew, so was worried.

Day two they took off and shot across the United States like a rocket, but it is just a 20E. Charlie sent me pictures as they flew.  They stayed over in Liberal Kansas, half way. I was at work and on my break I watched FlightRadar24 with envy as they trekked eastward.

Day three they continued over some IFR weather, VRF on top and finished up into Leesburg before I was done with work.

If you count the nights in a hotel, there are only two. It was an amazing efficient trip.

The weather was great on Saturday so he flew it up to Altoona, AOO. Then he said lets fly it together, so I flew for two hours, stalls, turns, pattern work and landings, cross wind landings, and then I flew with Kelly, also an airline pilot and CFI. I am not ready to fly out of the pattern yet, I have to master landings. So I drove them home to Leesburg, missed the turn and just about went all the way to Harrisonburg.

So that’s part of my story of my amazing adventure. Even though I could not make the flight across the US, I felt every minute of it. My picture in the corner, the avatar, is a picture Charlie took over the southern Rockies. My adventure was meeting these fabulous aviation enthusiasts.

Charlie and his wife Kelly are aviation people; they are mentors to others and wanted nothing but the experience and to help out another Mooney pilot. 

So, as you all know, if you need something there are extremely talented people on MooneySpace.

I think if I need another ferry pilot or anything else, I can give a shout out to Charlie Davies.

I now had about three hours in the plane. I am very pleased , of course It needs work and paint.

Many adventures are to come .

Thanks you 

Carl

• Like 8

I'm so humbled to be able to enjoy working with such an amazing crowd here at Mooneyspace.!! When you think about what we've got here, it's very unique indeed. I refer to it as tapped in. I'm always impressed how many talented and thought provoking people show up and willing to share their gifts. It's synergistic to say the least. I helped Carl but he allowed me to strengthen the. bonds with my wife and daughter. The vehicle was Mooneyspace and a sweet M20E. That's the kind of stuff that happens here all the time.

Thank-you Carl and thank-you Mooneyspace.

Charlie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4