Barefoot bandit

I’m not sure how many fellow Mooniacs have been following the story about 19-year-old Colton Harris-Moore…otherwise known as the “barefoot bandit”.  He is suspected in a string of high-end boat, car and airplane robberies.  His thievery has spanned most of the western and central US, until recently he went “international” by steeling (oops…allegedly steeling) a Cessna 400 from Monroe Indiana .  After flying it from Indiana to Great Abaco Island where he ditched the plane just off shore.

My first thought after hearing this in the press was “where are this kids parents”…and then I came across this article.  Apparently Mom doesn’t think it’s a big deal.  She was more concerned that he stole a single engine airplane than the fact that HE STOLE AN AIRPLANE!, You see, she felt flying a single engine aircraft is unsafe.  She also said “the rules for stealing single engine airplanes require him to carry a parachute”… YHGTBSM!!!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5g3ng0HuCqAC4S1vDdZDuEso6S73QD9GQDIIO0

I hope the US attorney general sends his Mom the bill for the $650,000.00 plane her son destroyed.  When she didn’t pay, I’d put a lien on her house and put her out on the street.  Maybe then she’d take her responsibilities as a parent more seriously.  As for the barefoot boy himself, I hope he takes a stab at my plane… because if he does, he will meet with a painful untimely demise, shortly there after! 

Well put George.

I remember when I was 2 I took a peice of bubble gum from the corner store while Mom was paying out. I was marched back in the store and my Mom forced me to apologize and pay for the gum (1c), When I got home OMG!

I dont see this kids parent as being a Mom.

Larry

Word out of the Bahamas is he was just caught.  (am Sun 11th).  The news also reported that the kids mom has retained the services of an entertainment attorney to help her manage the multiple book/movie deal offers.  At least she's got her priorities straight.  YGTBKM...Mom of the year she is not.

Again...US attorney general should put a lein on any proceeds from these book or movie deals to reimburse the owners of the planes, cars and boat this kid has destroyed prior to her seeing a cent of profit from her son's shameful conduct

It's not widely know that in several western states, horse rustling is a capital offense, punishable by hanging or firing squad.  Granted the law dates back to the early 1800's but I think its appropriate in this case especially since the police had to "shoot out" the engine of the Motor yacht he stole to get him to stop.  Not to mention he had an unregistered handgun in his posession when the police finaly arrested him.  To bad we are more "civilized" now-days.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Harris_Moore_Arrested_202854-1.html

I watched an interview with the owner of said $650,000 plane today. He was VERY gacious and forgiving during the interview. I am sure not everyone would have been so.

Not sure wether to applaude or laugh at the man who is now "hopeful that his insurance company will treat him fairly" and that his "heart melted" when he first saw the pictures of the kid in chains...... His words!!!!!

Quote: GeorgePerry

It's not widely know that in several western states, horse rustling is a capital offense, punishable by hanging or firing squad.  Granted the law dates back to the early 1800's but I think its appropriate in this case especially since the police had to "shoot out" the engine of the Motor yacht he stole to get him to stop.  Not to mention he had an unregistered handgun in his posession when the police finaly arrested him.  To bad we are more "civilized" now-days.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Harris_Moore_Arrested_202854-1.html

Quote: Tom

In fact, firing squad is only still an option in one state (Oklahoma, not in a Western state), while hanging is only an option in two states (Washington and New Hampshire).  What is not fact is often not widely known.

• 1 year later...

Living up here and flying over Camino Island every time I leave my home airport. I can say he terrorized these people, made them feel unsafe in there homes. He changed their way of life.  It just doesn't seem like the victims got heard in this case.  Life will never be the same up there.  All due to this punk kid that people almost treat like a hero.