Local Travel

Hank

Went up last weekend to pick up some supplies at Aircraft Spruce. Spent double what I was thinking of . . . But I did get a good parking spot! Traffic was pretty light, ATC had no issues. Went in at 5500', the Bravo shelf is notched to 6000; left at 4500 until beyond the ring, then because it was bumpy with a scattered layer I climbed to 6500 for a smooth ride home and only dodged a few small cumulus. At least it was cool at cruise and just above the haze layer.

Now if I can attach the picture from my phone, I'll count this post as a success. <Got it!>

Gus, I'll try to call ahead next time. Didn't realize just how close to there you are. It's a whopping 77 nm each way from here.

post-6921-0-92205400-1408680803_thumb.jp

• Like 1

That's a real nice looking C you got there looks fast what kind of speeds are you getting out of her.

I generally indicate in the mid-to-high 130's MPH at cruise, yielding right around 140 knots airspeed. Groundspeed is always wind-dependant; I've had sustained level cruise groundspeeds as high as 183 knots, and as low as 68 knots crossing the mountains between Greenville and Knoxville.

I'm usually up for a weekend lunch/dinner if anyone is around the GA/AL/ FL panhandle area, but I'm still learning my way around and looking for good fly-in food.

Hank,

What kind of power settings are you using and at what average altitude? I typically cruise right at yellow line 150 mph/ 130 kts  my common power settings are WOT and 2400 RPM, I like flying between 7500 - 9500ft my true airspeed usually comes out around 150 kts. the only real mod I have on the plane is the cowl closure, I also reversed the brakes, added wheel well liners and flap gap seals. the cowl closure made a big difference, but i saw very little change  in airspeed with the rest although I did see an improvement in my rate of climb.

Brian

Hank, I was out of town, but please do call next time you're up this way. FFC is, indeed close by.

I got my Mooney's annual signed off just before I left, so I should be good to go, next time you're up this way. There's a GREAT place for lunch near FFC ( http://barnstormersgrill.com/), but it's a grass runway I consider too rough for my Mooney. We could fly over in my taildragger.

Hank,

What kind of power settings are you using and at what average altitude? I typically cruise right at yellow line 150 mph/ 130 kts  my common power settings are WOT and 2400 RPM, I like flying between 7500 - 9500ft my true airspeed usually comes out around 150 kts. the only real mod I have on the plane is the cowl closure, I also reversed the brakes, added wheel well liners and flap gap seals. the cowl closure made a big difference, but i saw very little change  in airspeed with the rest although I did see an improvement in my rate of climb.

Brian

Brian--

Since I was kind of low to get under the Bravo, I ran either 22 or 23", I forget, and 2400. I like to cruise 7500-10,000 msl, generally 2500 RPMs. I pull the throttle back enough to make the MP needle move, hoping to create turbulence in the carb for better fuel atomization, then lean to 50 rich.

I've got the cowl closure and 201 windshield, but have not yet changed the brakes. I'm debating on the value of wheel well liners, too.

With my 3-blade, I have a pretty good climb rate. I don't really notice it until I see pictures of my departure, but people used to Cessnas always comment when they ride with me.  :P  Like the instructor this spring who did my IPC--I think it was his first Mooney ride, the way he was commenting on initial climb still over the runway.

Rob/Gus--

Let's set up a lunch sometime soon, just not tomorrow as I'm moving out of storage and into a condo here in Auburn. Gotta sell a house in WV!

I decided that for the cost the flap gap seals and wheel well liners were worth the investment, i liked the idea of closing off the wheel well area and they are easy to install and remove. I also noticed an increase in my rate of climb when i installed them, I was flying with 201er and his J couldn't come close to my climb rate. I just recently installed the flap gap seals but i really do not see any major improvements from prior to the installation but of course 1-2 MPH  really isn't that noticeable. i will say that on my recent trip from Maine I was able to maintain 500 fpm climb up thru 9k and between 3-500 fpm to 10.5k I really hadn't payed too much attention to my climb rate in the past but it definitely felt better.

Brian  

I would guess that Mike is doing the following:

1. Recovering from his Canadian fuel & ATC bills.
  2. Editing additional video footage from his awesome trip to the Arctic Circle and back.
  3. Planning his next little jaunt . . . He's done S. America, Carribean and Northern lattitudes, I'd guess he'll either cross the Rockies or head to Europe next. Even with his giant tanks, I think Hawaii is a little too far.

Because we all know he's not at home washing his cargo pants!  :D

• Like 4

I would guess that Mike is doing the following:

• Recovering from his Canadian fuel & ATC bills.
  • Editing additional video footage from his awesome trip to the Arctic Circle and back.
  • Planning his next little jaunt . . . He's done S. America, Carribean and Northern lattitudes, I'd guess he'll either cross the Rockies or head to Europe next. Even with his giant tanks, I think Hawaii is a little too far.
Because we all know he's not at home washing his cargo pants! :D

Or he could be in jail waiting for one of us to bail him out... ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image