OP ED-"Little Timmy Wants to Know Why Nobody Likes Airplanes Anymore?

Wow Marks. Little Timmy and I were cast overboard without chainmail in shark infested waters...

Not an "expert"...Don't profess to be one or play one on T.V.

You sir are the "Expert", Right?

Glad you find me obnoxious though. My points are not to make friends with progressives.

I will continue to "fight" them and expose them, to cast a light upon them and their leaders.

Was there a point to all you said in the last three posts?

Was there meaning?

What is my take-away?

Can I get the bottom-line?

I am a bottom-line guy, as are most Americans. Bottom-Line people voted last week.

We were told over six years ago that the economy was a mess. (I agreed)

The way to fix that economy was a massive stimulus by the Federal Government. (I disagreed)

Trillions spend, six plus years later and the economy inching along like a frail old couple on Martha's Vinyard.

It did not...It does not have to be like this.

The "run" is just about over...

Were you one of those "Experts" that didn't go to jail after the "Financial Crisis"? You know, one of those guys that is laughing at how much money they are making? One of those guys that dodged a trial or jail time? One of those that "got bailed out"?

One of those that has/had tremendous consumer debt?

I wasn't and am not. I sleep great at night.

Even better after the Mid-Terms. Ta Ta.

Flyboy, Sorry I didn't get back to you.  The chart you show is great.  However, It's not adjusted for available money supply.  As a percentage of available money supply the chart shows the tilt starting earlier.  Right now the value of the dollar is rising.  It takes almost half as many dollars to buy an ounce of gold than it did a couple of years ago.  Dollar power vs. total production counts.  Because total production was rising during the mid-1980s we really built more homes, cars, harvested and exported more grain, etc.  As I explained earlier, if you produce more stuff our Fed Reserve expands the money supply by allowing more money to be borrowed for home building and factory production.  You can't have a fast growing population and fast growing production with a stagnant money supply as Scott thinks.  His theories were completely discredited around the entire world by the end of the 1930's. -  If we can produce our way out of this debt we will be in fine shape.  On the other hand, debt slows the whole economy.  Right now things are much better as business earnings are rising and tax collections are improving to hold our own with debt.  BTW, Federal dedt is only half of the problem.  High personal debt, including college debt counts too.

Most of what you said is beyond my pay grade, but I get the gist. I love history, watch and read a lot about it and one thing that I come away with from studying the Great Depression is that the Feds held back on the money supply and spending and that's what got us (and others) deeper into it. Uncle Ben, a great study of those times, tried the opposite and I think it worked. However, tens of millions of my fellow citizens think otherwise - and that's fine.

You will also get a lot of pushback with your comments about the economy being better and that profits are up - but not from me.

And yet the leader has requested 6 billion for Ebola eradication....

I actually thought you were in favor of doing everything needed to eradicate it. Did you think that was going to be cheap?

As inept as the response was with Patient One (Duncan), I tend to think the CDC and hospitals finally got their act together.

Tic toc

What I was in favor of was stopping flights of individuals in West Africa to the United States until the disease was controlled (with world resources) at its source. What are we "fighting" in the U.S.? No problem there or potential. The US government has all the resources and tools to protect the people who pay for us to exist, right?

Certainly one of your prized organizations...a jewel of the Feds didn't screw the pooch over and over again on the "crisis".

What I was in favor of was stopping flights of individuals in West Africa to the United States until the disease was controlled (with world resources) at its source. What are we "fighting" in the U.S.? No problem there or potential. The US government has all the resources and tools to protect the people who pay for us to exist, right?

Certainly one of your prized organizations...a jewel of the Feds didn't screw the pooch over and over again on the "crisis".

It would have been interesting to see what the response would have been without a central agency such as CDC. You made it clear early on in this massive thread that it's not your favorite federal agency.

Scott, You don't have to be an expert to understand the "Financial Crisis".  It was very simple and even you should understand it.  Simply put, American social and economic policy under both Democratic and Republican Administrations was to expand access to home loan mortgages through Fanni Mae and Freddie Mac.  Then many of the borrowers that barely qualified, (sub-prime borrowers) failed to pay their mortgages.  That was the whole problem.  So if you were an Insurance company like AIG who loaned out billions of dollars expecting to be paid back with interest, you suddenly found out that you would get back a small fraction of the money you indirectly loaned to mortgage payers.  Now, we could refuse to refinance AIG and fail to pay people who bought life insurance from AIG when their spouse died, but instead the government made AIG whole and all the people kept their jobs at AIG and not a single insurer was left holding the bag. And then AIG paid back every dime with interest.  Now it's true that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac did not make good and I understand your anger but don't blame Wall Street for selling the securities.  If you want to blame someone blame Barney Frank.  The problem was simple but huge.  Bankers did the same as AIG.  Individuals bought the securities and so did all sorts of financial corporations.  The only good thing about it is the simple fact that hundreds of thousands of homes were built and they still stand.  Inflation of housing prices has come to a pretty fast end.       

And then AIG paid back every dime with interest.      

Thanks for making that clarification Mark. Although it did set a dangerous precedent, not many American's are aware that almost all of the TARP money was repaid early (I don't think Citibank has) with interest as well, as were the Chrysler loans. The Feds lost with GM but I think if they held on to the stock longer they would have eventually been realized $.95 on the dollar.

R U Serious? Posts 923-925, my asking for a bottom line (on those three posts) and I get post #935?

So 923 to 925 were simply to state what happened in the "financial crisis" and how all those companies have repaid their debt?

Glad I asked. because I read them...and that is not what I gathered from your diatribe and attack on me Marks.

Have a nice night.

Scott, You don't have to be an expert to understand the "Financial Crisis".  It was very simple and even you should understand it.  Simply put, American social and economic policy under both Democratic and Republican Administrations was to expand access to home loan mortgages through Fanni Mae and Freddie Mac.  Then many of the borrowers that barely qualified, (sub-prime borrowers) failed to pay their mortgages.  That was the whole problem.  So if you were an Insurance company like AIG who loaned out billions of dollars expecting to be paid back with interest, you suddenly found out that you would get back a small fraction of the money you indirectly loaned to mortgage payers.  Now, we could refuse to refinance AIG and fail to pay people who bought life insurance from AIG when their spouse died, but instead the government made AIG whole and all the people kept their jobs at AIG and not a single insurer was left holding the bag. And then AIG paid back every dime with interest.  Now it's true that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac did not make good and I understand your anger but don't blame Wall Street for selling the securities.  If you want to blame someone blame Barney Frank.  The problem was simple but huge.  Bankers did the same as AIG.  Individuals bought the securities and so did all sorts of financial corporations.  The only good thing about it is the simple fact that hundreds of thousands of homes were built and they still stand.  Inflation of housing prices has come to a pretty fast end.

No $%^&. This is old news my man. This ties to the "bottom line" how?

Check that. I don't want your reply.

Well define "lost" Scott. Because propping up GM, literally awarded our 2012 political winner a whole bunch of rust belt votes.

Flyboy.... look at it this way, our TARP money help fund the largest (and deadliest) GM recall in history. One must ask if GM's corporate malfeasance was spurred and emboldened by their deep political connections.

But alas, I'd rather talk healthcare and Ebola.

Yep, good point. Selfishly thinking taxpayer dollars lost to Government Motors. Definitely helped deliver a "win" to the guy that looks smart in a black kimono...

If memory serves me correct, the guy in the cowboy hat and his sharpshooter sidekick Droop-a-long, shoveled in the first batch of cash and .  The guy in the black kimono gave his nod in March 2009. How did that deliver his win, or are you referring to 2012?

• Like 1

Read the post again. Date pretty clear. Yes. A trickle a river and an ocean do have things in common, but there is a difference.

TARP and GM will be debated for decades to come and will be case studies for graduate school students. We will never know what would have been had they not been implemented. But I do know this: just about every economist worth their salt has gone on record as stating that the stimulus was the right thing to do given conditions at the time. Of course there are a few heretics - who very well may have been right - but overwhelmingly the pro-stimulus side said we headed off the second great depression. I don't know about you, but that's a pretty scary proposition for the 21st century.

GM is quite a different case. It was speculated that liquidating GM would have resulted in millions more unemployed as a result of suppliers going under. I tend to believe that could have happened as evidenced by something that occurred thousands of miles away a few months later. After the earthquake hit in Japan, a Toyota plant was heavily damaged which resulted in its shutdown. This resulted in a suspension of production in Toyota's American plants due to parts shortages. What is not widely known is that here in the U.S., TRW, which also supplies Toyota, had to furlough employees from several facilities until production resumed. This was the result of only one car company and one plant somewhere on the other side of the planet. Now imagine if dozens of GM plants were to have permanently shut down across America, a chilling thought.

To bad the Chinese couldn't have updated/duplicated the J the way they did the Joint Strike Fighter :(

Excellent point. Remember what happened when they got hold of a Boeing 707 in the 1970's and attempted to reverse engineer it into one of their own as the Y-10? 

post-7663-0-88561900-1415802672_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Flyboy.... look at it this way, our TARP money help fund the largest (and deadliest) GM recall in history. One must ask if GM's corporate malfeasance was spurred and emboldened by their deep political connections.

Don't blame the Federal government for GM's incompetence and corporate greed. Blame GM's incompetence and corporate greed. Corporate political connections typically run Republican, by the way. Not many CEOs vote Democrat.

You say Corporate Greed....I say Unions. Somewhere in the middle is the answer.

-I don't like "To big to fail" Neither do I. But truth be told, the GOP watered down the Dodd-Frank legislation to the point where we are still in the same situation. I guess lobbyists never go out of style, even when the firms they represent put us in this position.

-We avoided a "re-set" at the expense of taxpayers and 401ks and our kids future. If your 401(k) is still at the same level as this time in 2008, you are definitely not doing something right - or have it all invested in .001% CD's.

Has the chicken laid another egg or is the cracked egg still being sat on? Tough one.

Fragile is the economy now me thinks.... Yes and no.

Wash Rinse Repeat

Economy is expanding slowly...

Oil production is outpacing oil usage...

Price of fuel continues to decline in a good way because of this relationship.

$2.57 cash, regular in NJ last night.

Ebola and it's containment are better known today...

Employment is increasing...

Stock markets have exceeded real record levels. Not bubbly high P/E ratio dot com companies.

Old high tech machinery cloned in China is not any better than the original machinery. It is not economically better to operate over time.

The Mooney factory is building real planes...

The Mooney business is contracting new plane designs, using new materials and engines...

In the past, the automobile producers have been accused of working with oil companies to hide technology that would improve MPG 100%. That facade would require skill that the Internet efficiently diss-allows.

What we have found is GM can't hide criminally poor engineering details combined with bad business decisions related to their dangerous ignition switches. Changing a part design without changing it's part number in an effort to hide the change is criminal.

Recently, we can add an airbag supplier (Takata) to the list of poor and dangerous designs to be incorporated into large numbers of automobiles.

Buying more (house, car, or plane) than one can afford will always be an ill conceived plan.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. (Mom's advice)

Our fears over time have missed the point.

Our fear mongering doesn't help.

Communication excels, it shares ideas around the world.

Sharing ideas can save money, machinery and even save lives...

The current president, with an unknown birth certificate, has presided over a great recovery for six years.

I can't wait for something better.

Be in charge of your future and share along the way.

I'm really getting to enjoy this thread.

Go MooneySpace,

-a-

• Like 1

Economy is expanding slowly...

Oil production is outpacing oil usage...

Price of fuel continues to decline in a good way because of this relationship.

$2.57 cash, regular in NJ last night.

Ebola and it's containment are better known today...

Employment is increasing...

Stock markets have exceeded real record levels. Not bubbly high P/E ratio dot com companies.

Old high tech machinery cloned in China is not any better than the original machinery. It is not economically better to operate over time.

The Mooney factory is building real planes...

The Mooney business is contracting new plane designs, using new materials and engines...

In the past, the automobile producers have been accused of working with oil companies to hide technology that would improve MPG 100%. That facade would require skill that the Internet efficiently diss-allows.

What we have found is GM can't hide criminally poor engineering details combined with bad business decisions related to their dangerous ignition switches. Changing a part design without changing it's part number in an effort to hide the change is criminal.

Recently, we can add an airbag supplier (Takata) to the list of poor and dangerous designs to be incorporated into large numbers of automobiles.

Buying more (house, car, or plane) than one can afford will always be an ill conceived plan.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. (Mom's advice)

Our fears over time have missed the point.

Our fear mongering doesn't help.

Communication excels, it shares ideas around the world.

Sharing ideas can save money, machinery and even save lives...

The current president, with an unknown birth certificate, has presided over a great recovery for six years.

I can't wait for something better.

Be in charge of your future and share along the way.

I'm really getting to enjoy this thread.

Go MooneySpace,

-a-

The recurring theme here is paranoia. The left is always accused of being too carefree, unexcitable and never in a hurry. But why is it that the main platform of the conservative movement is fear? During each election cycle the GOP strikes fear into the American public. Are republican American's really that scared of things?

I take Michael Moore with a grain of salt, but he nailed one thing in his movie "Fahrenheit 9/11". He said in the weeks leading up to the 2004 election to expect a rise in the terrorist alert, and he was spot on. If you don't recall, the "color" was raised to Orange (high) for no good reason (other than for fear?). Tom Ridge wrote years later that there was no actual threat but that the administration put him up to it.

ISIS, Ebola, aborted babies coming back as zombies, communists, Russian invasion (see communists), war on Christmas, job creators won't create jobs if taxes go up - we are all doomed.

• Like 1

The recurring theme here is paranoia. The left is always accused of being too carefree, unexcitable and never in a hurry. But why is it that the main platform of the conservative movement is fear? During each election cycle the GOP strikes fear into the American public. Are republican American's really that scared of things?

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate."

-Yoda

Fear mongering is not limited to American politics in general, and Republican politics in the specific. When religious leaders make their followers afraid of perceived but untrue threats to their religion or way of life, you have uneducated people shooting teenage girls like Malala Yousafzai in Pakistan. How afraid does a grown man have to be to determine that a teenage girl is a threat to his way of life?

• Like 1

"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate."

-Yoda

Fear mongering is not limited to American politics in general, and Republican politics in the specific. When religious leaders make their followers afraid of perceived but untrue threats to their religion or way of life, you have uneducated people shooting teenage girls like Malala Yousafzai in Pakistan. How afraid does a grown man have to be to determine that a teenage girl is a threat to his way of life?

I guess Fox News plays right into this with all of those Goldline, Lear Capital, reverse mortgage, IRS settlement firms and pre-lubricated urinary catheter commercials. 

• Like 1

I guess Fox News plays right into this with all of those Goldline, Lear Capital, reverse mortgage, IRS settlement firms and pre-lubricated urinary catheter commercials.

And it's shameful the way they prey on the elderly as though they were trying to help them.