OK, you can say "I told you so"

Earl

Last year I had my right tank patched which has worked fairly well so far but now my left tank is leaking worse and I am pretty much tired of the issue so I am on the schedule with WeepNoMore for the first week in March.  For those of you that told me to quit screwing around and get it done right I accept all "I told you so" comments. :wub:  

I plan to keep this plane for a long time and constantly fighting leaks in tanks just doesn't appeal to me.  I want to fill them up when I land and still have the fuel in them when I get back to the airport and not have the whiff of avgas when I open the plane up.

No!! I told you to get bladders.....

(Just stirring the pot, sorry.)

:-)

Uh oh......I will stand aside and let the debate begin.........the good news for me is I am pretty sure bladders are not an option for the 252 so I can sit by and watch the debate rage.  

So, is it really just down to two, now days? Willmar in MN and Weep No More in FL? PIREPS on both? Anybody that is good in the northeast?

I am carefully considering bladders, too. O&N is close by, I'll never sell the plane, I have dealt with patches for 15 years and my mission allows the lesser useful load. What did Weep quote you for price and turnaround? Anybody have any experience with Willmar? For the bladder haters, is there any other major issues other than useful load, proper install and life expectancy?

So, is it really just down to two, now days? Willmar in MN and Weep No More in FL? PIREPS on both? Anybody that is good in the northeast?

I am carefully considering bladders, too. O&N is close by, I'll never sell the plane, I have dealt with patches for 15 years and my mission allows the lesser useful load. What did Weep quote you for price and turnaround? Anybody have any experience with Willmar? For the bladder haters, is there any other major issues other than useful load, proper install and life expectancy?

Actually the guys in Florida are Wetwingologists and the PIREP on them is also fairly good and their warranty is 7 years versus 5 years by Weepnomore.  Both stand behind their work as best I can tell from the comments I have seen.  I think the main difference between the two is the technique they use to strip the old sealant but I am not positive.  When you look at the pictures of completed work they look identical to me.  Both charge $4,450 per wing and ask for 2-3 weeks to get the job done.  I selected Weepnomore primarily because I have never seen a negative comment about them and they can accommodate my schedule.  Not looking forward to the flight up there in the late winter but can't wait to get this behind me.

Can't comment on the bladder opponents although the two common themes I have seen is the lost useful load and concern about corrosion from moisture stuck under the bladder.  

Ok...so it is not Willmar....it is a seperate company in MN. I have heard great things about their work and warranty support. Then there is the outfit in FL, Wet Wingologists. What happened to the company in Indiana that had their own proprietary sealant and chemical stripping?

Still hoping for bladder comments.

I know the companies mentioned have great reputations  Mine started  leaking in 2012 and I called big boys but there not close.  Russ at Cutting Edge Aviation (N87) resealed mine and I have had no problems.

• Like 1

Ok...so it is not Willmar....it is a seperate company in MN. I have heard great things about their work and warranty support. Then there is the outfit in FL, Wet Wingologists. What happened to the company in Indiana that had their own proprietary sealant and chemical stripping?

It used to be Wilmar - The owner "bought" that portion of the practice from Wilmar.  Weep No More is located in Wilmar. 

-Seth

I have O&N Bladders and I love the fact that I actually have a fuel tank not just a buch of fuel in my wing. what do you think our WW2 pilots loved the most about the zero i hink they had a wet wing. Zero problems with the O&N's no pun intended.

• Like 1

the people on here that have bladders seem to really like them.  I've been very pleased with mine.

• Like 1

I think you are probably referring to Midwest Mooney in Flora, IL.  The big shop there closed and it is currently being run by one of their former A&P/IA's named Matt.  I'm not sure Matt has the resources to do tank resealing anymore but he is still a very knowledgeable Mooney MX.

The only good argument I've ever heard against bladders is that they add some extra weight.  If useful load is not an issue for your aircraft/mission then that argument is moot.  I had bladders in my M20D and never saw a drop of fuel leak out of the tanks, plus I had extra fuel capacity.  I have wet tanks in my M20J and they are fine but I know it is only a matter of time...

Bladders installed in January 1992, still going strong. Enough said... :)

Sent using Tapatalk

Ok...so it is not Willmar....it is a seperate company in MN. I have heard great things about their work and warranty support. Then there is the outfit in FL, Wet Wingologists. What happened to the company in Indiana that had their own proprietary sealant and chemical stripping? Still hoping for bladder comments.
And if you go bladders, let me know. I'm thinking about having the extra 2 bladders installed. Perhaps we can shuttle each other. Sent using Tapatalk

That was Kevin Surrell with Midwest Mooney M20 out of Flora Il. I don't know if they still do it or if they still even exist since Kevin died. Weep no More was a spin off of WIllmar Air Service that Paul Beck ran and now owns. Willmar Air Service was sold by Bruce Jaeger a few years ago. Both Bruce and Paul will be at the Mooney Summit this weekend. Ill find out more...

• Like 1