Wouldn't the "M" be for Magnetic and the " T" for Track? As far as Compass interference has anyone considered Mooney Service Instruction M20-95 to correct the problem instead of masking it? I'll take a Vert. Card over the whiskey compass any day, especially in IMC and bumps

• Like 1

Wouldn't the "M" be for Magnetic and the " T" for Track? As far as Compass interference has anyone considered Mooney Service Instruction M20-95 to correct the problem instead of masking it? I'll take a Vert. Card over the whiskey compass any day, especially in IMC and bumps

My guess would be M=magnetic, T= True since that tends to be the standard for compass nomenclature. I haven't a clue if it displays heading, or track info.

How does any program running on a handheld device figure magnetic anything? I would think it's just like my 430W and shows groundtrack. Although I do have a compass app on the phone, I've never compared it to anything for accuracy, and if ATC give you a heading to fly for separation, accuracy would be important [especially if I am the traffic you are being vectored away from!  ;) ].

This bears investigating and clearing up for all of us.

How does any program running on a handheld device figure magnetic anything?

Every iPhone and iPad (at least all of the newer ones) have a magnetic compass built in. It's completely independent of the GPS, so it doesn't measure track, it measures magnetic heading. Mine lines up perfectly with my whiskey compass.

How does any program running on a handheld device figure magnetic anything? I would think it's just like my 430W and shows groundtrack. Although I do have a compass app on the phone, I've never compared it to anything for accuracy, and if ATC give you a heading to fly for separation, accuracy would be important [especially if I am the traffic you are being vectored away from!  ;) ].

This bears investigating and clearing up for all of us.

Actually, many nav devices store mag var data and apply it to true track data for derrived mag track, or vice versa.

Generally, the 430 is set up to display mag track, but internally it computes both mag and true. If you have mag compass and air data computer inputs, it can give you wind info which is really not wind, but the computed difference between heading/TAS and track/GS which for all intents and purposes is "wind".

Anyone here remember the days of the drift-meter and later, the Doppler GS/Drift angle! No, I don't want to live in a world without GPS!

True North heading can only be obtained from an IRS system found in air transport planes and submarines. The gyro axis is self line up with the Earth axis. The IRS can also determine latitude by itself by Earth axis and gravity vector. For longitude it requires UTC timing reference and track history. Longitude can also be determined by the difference of time of arrival TOA of timing signal from stations like WWV WWVH and others. Not as accurate (variable propagation path) as GPS but better than sextant on a cloudy sky. If you have UTC calendar time and a stick on the ground you can figure out your location using the stick shade. Handy for when you are stranded on a remote island.

José

Where can I find the Service Instruction M20-95? The only 20-95 I can find refers to a land gear switch. I certainly agree it would be preferable to correct a problem if possible.

Please disregard, I found it here: http://www.mooney.com/service-support/service-instructions/

Thanks for the information.