ForeFlight Update

Earlier this week ForeFlight updated their App to work with both Stratus units for limited Traffic. In my opinion this is an improvement, but you still need ADS-B OUT for full traffic functionality (actually better functionality, as neither is a TCAS system).  This release also adds what they call "rail", or a predictive line which can be user set for either distance or time - each in several variations.  This now makes ForeFlight running on an iPad, or iPad Mini, very close to the functionality of the Garmin 795, (the 796 can add XM weather). Frankly, I don't see why one would buy the 795.  XM weather (and related functions) still is better, in my opinion, than the NexGen displays, and so the 796 is still a viable unit.  Won't be long until we will enjoy a low cost AHRS/ADS-B IN/OUT combination box that will work with Foreflight.  Exciting time to be playing with the new "portable" avionics and iPad Apps. 

See:  http://www.foreflight.com/ipad/whatsnew/

• Like 1

a very fluid environment with new products coming all the time.

I have been happy with Foreflight and the updates they made. But, my subscription is due for renewal at the end of May and I will be dropping it as the only ADS-in they support is the Stratus.

OR75 Is your decision not to renew Foreflight because they only support Stratus because there are better units?. I am not familiar with any of the several external ADS units, so would you mind sharing with us in your opinion which ones are better than Stratus and why?. Thanks

i have not tested many units. i am sure they all provide the same quality data. however, they have different flavors ( look, power, wiring, .)

i happen to not have a Stratus and do not want anything on my dashboard. I am an advocate of least clutter in the cockpit and do not like to have to manage batteries.

here is a link to all the units for ads-b in

http://hiltonsoftware.com/ADS-B-Receivers.pdf?x=1

I've been using the SkyRadar D-2 ADS-B receiver for over two years now and have been very happy with it.  It works great with numerous apps and has been very reliable.  I have it neatly hidden off the glareshield and using external suction cup antennas on the windshield.

www.skyradar.net

Please PM me if you'd like more information and if interested I can get you a discount through the referral.

--Alex

i have not tested many units. i am sure they all provide the same quality data. however, they have different flavors ( look, power, wiring, .)

i happen to not have a Stratus and do not want anything on my dashboard. I am an advocate of least clutter in the cockpit and do not like to have to manage batteries.

here is a link to all the units for ads-b in

http://hiltonsoftware.com/ADS-B-Receivers.pdf?x=1

So which ones will you be looking at that produce less clutter and battery issues than a wireless Stratus tossed on the glareshield on the passenger side or popped on a rear window with a suction mount? 

And while most if not all of these (including Stratus) can be plugged into a power source, I'm not sure how you avoid battery management issue if you are using an iPad to begin with.

Excellent point about the battery.  That was one of the main attractions for me for the SkyRadar units is that they do not have an internal battery and plug-into the 12V cigarette lighter socket. 

I also agree with the point of keeping the glairshield clear.  The SkyRadar D-2 comes with external antennas (both ADS-B and GPS) that allow for the box to be kept out of the way.  In my C I had it in the glove compartment and in the K found a great place behind the pedestal.

--Alex

Earlier this week ForeFlight updated their App to work with both Stratus units for limited Traffic. In my opinion this is an improvement, but you still need ADS-B OUT for full traffic functionality (actually better functionality, as neither is a TCAS system). This release also adds what they call "rail", or a predictive line which can be user set for either distance or time - each in several variations. This now makes ForeFlight running on an iPad, or iPad Mini, very close to the functionality of the Garmin 795, (the 796 can add XM weather). Frankly, I don't see why one would buy the 795. XM weather (and related functions) still is better, in my opinion, than the NexGen displays, and so the 796 is still a viable unit. Won't be long until we will enjoy a low cost AHRS/ADS-B IN/OUT combination box that will work with Foreflight. Exciting time to be playing with the new "portable" avionics and iPad Apps. See: http://www.foreflight.com/ipad/whatsnew/
Bennett -- I know you are an early adopter of technology, if I remember correctly you have the GDL88. Have you or anyone else looked at the Aspen solution? I see that they are advertising the certified ADSB box you buy from them that can be interfaced to another WiFi box so that you get Wx and traffic on an iPad running ForeFlight -- without the need for a portable antennae.

Marauder, In an earlier thread I posted a PIREP about the GDL-88.  The more I use it, the better I like it. I am now seeing so much traffic that I wonder how I managed to optically miss seeing so many closeby aircraft in the past. A synopsis: The GDL-88 interfaces with both the GTN750 and the GTN650.  The GTN750 is my primary GPS box, and the GTN650 is generally set to VORs (either Direct To, or a flight plan) as a back up to GPS. I'm old time, and I like to do my flight plans VOR to VOR when practicable, and it is reassuring to see the VOR head display and the moving maps agree. I use the GTN650's traffic screen to display close in traffic, and set the GTN750 display to overlay traffic at longer distances.  Terrific combination.  As I've remarked several times before, I don't like NextGen weather as presented by ADS-B IN/OUT, because XM weather does a much better, and richer, display of winds aloft, cloud tops, weather, etc. I really do understand those who balk at the cost of XM, but I think that the cost is worth it. I use XM solely on the Garmin AERA 796 in an AirGizmo's panel mount.  I like the 796 display much better than that of the iPad Mini.  The only antenna on my glareshield is the XM antenna for the 796.

I dislike all the cabling for various antennas, and power cords that are needed for the iPads, and now portable AHRS units.  I am reminded of the days when I used a laptop, power cord, (remember the "brick"), and antenna, to work with the early navigation Windows programs. Spaghetti everywhere, and constantly tangling up with headset cords and oxygen tubes. Yes, the certified panel stuff is expensive, and it comes down to individual choice as to value received. To me flying is a freedom to just get away from my business and family concerns, and if that involves some additional cost, so be it. 

As to Aspen:  I'm torn here. I recently replaced my Attitude Indicator, and the total cost for doing so (testing, replacing and calibrating two AIs, and general labor costs) approached about half of what an Aspen would cost. I am not enamored with the Aspen horizon display with its altitude, VSA, and AS tapes, as I feel the "steam gauges" are much easier to read, but mostly I decided against the Aspen because Garmin doesn't "play well" with Aspen, and the Garmin GTN 750 woks perfectly with my KAP150 autopilot (with or without) the Icarus SAM GPSS steering unit engaged. Down the road I have the feeling (but no knowledge) that Garmin will release a certified panel mount version of their G3X EFIS now only for experimentals and LSAs.  I can't imagine them yielding such a significant part of the avionics business to Aspen.  At that point I will most like redo my panel (again) to accommodate it, remove the Icarus SAM unit, and change to a Garmin autopilot for complete integration. 

Finally, I just use the Mimi for sectional display.  The Garmin charts and maps are good, and informative, but I still like sectionals, and I find that the various Class B and C rings are easier to read and interpret their altitudes than on the Garmin units, and I really do like ForeFlight. 

Hi Bennett -- I do think the next few years will introduce some new partnerships and hopefully a more open hierarchy to integrating these boxes. The unfortunate part of GA is that many of us are not able to completely update completely at any one time. Even my recent upgrade was restricted because I could not afford to do the second nav, update the transponder and install ADSB. For all the reasons you love Garmin, I detest them. Not playing well in the sandbox is their MO and I don’t blame them. But it does want me to see other options other than theirs. BTW -- I did buy their 650. I looked seriously at the G500/600 series PFD/MFD before buying the Aspen. The obvious observation with their solution was that they had no intention of allowing interfacing non-digital radios commonly found in our planes and often left in as people update in stages. When Aspen introduced the open hierarchy approach, this allowed older Nav/Coms like my Narco 12D+ to function fully on the Aspen HSI either directly or a secondary RMI type indicator, thus eliminating the need to keep a second CDI. Garmin apparently recognizing the threat this posed, introduced the GAD-43e to allow those interfaces. Of course, it would cost you another $5k. As for the Garmin/Aspen relationship, I agree there is some tension. There should be. The gorilla in the market is being attacked by a chimp. And I for one am supporting the little primate. I have 4 solid months with my Aspen solution and I absolutely love it. Best bang for the buck since not only did it bring me into the 21st Century, it gave my old Nav/Comm a new lease on life. Competition in the market is a healthy thing. It keeps the competition innovating and prices in check (but it still is expensive). As for your “cabling” comments. If you are using the Garmin GDL39 without internal battery, you’re right, you would need to plug it in. My Nexus 7 will run the entire flight and then some on a single charge and I use the internal GPS to run the Garmin Pilot app – hence, no wires. The reason I brought up the Aspen ADSB solution (and I apologize because I now realize it was Bob with the Aspen) was that it appears that you can now use the certified ADSB box to get the same information you get on your 750/650 brought over not only to the Aspen displays, the 750/650 but also it will feed through WiFi the portable solution you may have on board. Here is a picture of my Nexus in flight: yru2yhy9.jpg

I do like the competition, which is much like the Apple iPhone vs. everyone else.  Apple and Windows have been going at each other for years, and we, as users, are probably better off for it. I dislike Apple for their absolute control over Apps, and their iTunes methodology of adding apps and updating apps, but I have to say their apps are consistently stable, which is the ongoing argument I have had with my son (who is also a University of California engineering graduate - Berkeley for me, Irvine for him). He finally gave up and has joined the iPhone ranks.  I like Garmin because their products work well, and whenever I have had a problem with one of their boxes, they have been responsive and corrected the problem with both software and firmware. I understand that Aspen is also a great servicing company, and I wish them well, but I believe they have to expand their product line in certified equipment to remain viable.  I remember when Garmin was a small maverick, breakaway firm, and I find their growth and dominance in the marketplace remarkable, and I believe it came from superior products to the competition at the time of their introduction. They entered the GPS revolution at the right time, and did so in the marine and terrestrial arenas, as well as in aviation. They may be a gorilla for the moment, but avionics is a fast changing game, and I look to Dynon as an example of a company that is innovative and flexible. Their current business model is keeping them out of the certified marketplace, which is a shame. Now if they were to have an infusion of capital (Dynon is a small company), and decided to certify their glass screen product line which includes SVT, integrated autopilot and servos, AOA and EMS, battery backup dual AHRS, and more, then Garmin would face a real challenge across the board. In the long run, I think that autopilots should be integrated with GPS moving maps, GPSS steering, and solid state avionics of all natures, with plenty of redundancy.  Garmin is the leader here at this time, and I for one want that integration. For what it is worth, Gamin's Pilot app for the iPad is quite good, and with the similar iconry to the GTN units would be a logical choice for me. I use ForeFlight, however,  for my iPads because I want them to succeed, and they were the early pioneers who have been, and still are, the innovators. 

• 2 months later...