EDM 700 or 830?

FloridaMan

It's time to install an engine monitor. I like the EDM-830, but a couple friends are trying to talk me into just going with the 700 w/ FF, which would look better in my panel. I've attached a photo of my panel. The monitor would go either where the EGT is now (lower-left -- can I have that removed or do I have to keep it somewhere for a MEL?) or in the upper-right hole, though I'd like to keep that one available for a stand-by attitude instrument.

Would it be possible to replace the 6-pack of monitor gauges to the right with the instrument? Does the FF option with the 700 also give you remaining and total burn estimates as well? Is upgrading terribly difficult from a 700 to an 830 -- would more cables have to go through the firewall if I opted to upgrade some time in the future?

Thoughts?

post-11532-13468141147556_thumb.jpg

Functionally they are the same.

Same probes and same options although the software is different so the 830 might have some additional features.

Obviously the display is the big difference. color Plasma vs monochrome LCD. The 830 displays parameters all the time, the 700 scrolls the parameters at the bottom of the screen.

The 700 needs a connector and laptop for data download but a USB plug is now an option. The 830 has this built in.

Upgrade from 700 to 830 is a monitor exchange. Pull out the 700 send it in (with a pocket full of money) and JPI sends you the 830 that plugs into all the connenctors you already have.  

Replacing OEM instruments requires a JPI unit that is hard coded with the limits for your specific airframe/engine currently the JPI 900/930 or the 711. EGT guage is not a required instrument so you can pull that one without the primary unit.

I have the JPI 830 flush mounted in my panel. Truly a useful instrument, and Cruiser has outlined most of the differences between the 830 and 700. If I were doing it again, I would opt for the JPI 900 because it is certified as a Primary Instrument, and then I could have removed the tachometer, manifold pressure, and EGT/OAT gauges from the right side of my panel. It would not be necessary to hook up the fuel tank gauges to the 900.

I have the 830 and was convinced to go that route over the 700.  Yes it cost more.  It is very worth it.  Very easy to see and understand (or pretend you understand what is going on in the engine).  A 700 vs nothing still indeed makes sense.  It all depends on your willingness to spend a bit more, but it is a great piece of equipment.  You get a very good snapshot from the 830 and set up the way I do I have a visual and diginal readout on both the manifold pressure and RPM.  I admit I tend to fly by the 830 often and use the primary steam guage manifold and tachometer as the secondary instrument.

You may be able to still get whatever Oshkosh special they have this year - they gave it to me last year even though my purchase did not happen until later in August.  I got a $400 or $500 discount.

Take care,

-Seth

I'd look really hard at opting for the -900 instead, and completely replace the 6-pack cluster gauge, along with the tach and MP/FP.  It is more painful initially from the budget standpoint, but you'll eliminate a lot of future headaches with the OEM stuff IMO.  

The flush mount is not on the regular parts list, or at least it wasn't when I had my installation done last year. The JPI folk I talked to said to have the installer just call them, and they woud send out what we call a "flush" mount.

If you want save a bunch of money, I still have a used 700 with fuel flow that I took out of my panel. I've just been too lazy to advertise it so far. It was working 100% when I took it out. I went to the EI MVP-50 so that I could ditch all the factory gauges.

I know that JPI really dominates in the minds of the Mooney community, but if you do decide to go the "all in one" glass panel solution, I strongly suggest you look at the MVP-50.

Antares, to answer your question about the fuel indications on the EDM700, it does give it all. I have mine connected to my Garmin 296 and that adds feedback in terms of how much fuel is needed to the next waypoint, reserve after that, etc.
Otherwise, all the normal readouts: amount of fuel in tanks, gal/hr, gals already used, flying time left in hr:min on current power setting, miles/gal, etc. If calibrated correctly, it is really very accurate as well.

If you can swing it, a 900 is the way to go. If not maybe we can work a deal for the 700 (with latest software upgrades) and new probes, that I have in my panel now. It has OAT and Oil Temp in addition to the standard readings. I'll let it go very reasonably, and it would be the kick in the ass I'd need to install a 900.

Since I'm so close to you we could use the same intall shop. Just PM me.

If you can swing it, a 900 is the way to go. If not maybe we can work a deal for the 700 (with latest software upgrades) and new probes, that I have in my panel now. It has OAT and Oil Temp in addition to the standard readings. I'll let it go very reasonably, and it would be the kick in the ass I'd need to install a 900.

Since I'm so close to you we could use the same intall shop. Just PM me.

I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth going with a used 700. It looks like the harnesses and sensors are all pretty expensive. I'm not sure if you remember or not, but I flew with you (fantom) several months ago when you and Parker were shooting practice approaches at KOBE. 

Quote: Antares

I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth going with a used 700. It looks like the harnesses and sensors are all pretty expensive. I'm not sure if you remember or not, but I flew with you (fantom) several months ago when you and Parker were shooting practice approaches at KOBE. 

My plane came with the 700 but now I'm replacing it with the 830. So if you're making the choice from scratch, I say go 830. Someone said the 830 is the same probes, but it's not quite true. It has more. It has RPM, MP, Oil Pressure, OAT, and perhaps a few others I'm forgetting. Also, I would put the unit in the unused slot above your CDI and left of GPS. You will probably spend more time looking/glancing at the engine monitor than most other instruments.

I didn't like the 700 because I was wasting too much time scrolling through different parameters. On the 830 they are all displayed simultaneously and in full. What kind of Mooney do you have? Is it fuel injected? Honestly though, if you're not going to be flying LOP or fine tweaking your leaning, this kind of precision isn't as important. I doubt you'd be saving much or anything by getting an expensive engine analyzer on a carbeurated engine.

PS I'd be ok with having my full name, N number, etc for Mooney pilot's eyes only. But I don't like the idea of someone googling my name or N number and finding all my posts that way. That is what is keeping me from posting that.

I recently went through the same analysis, and went with the edm700, with FF and oilt and oilp.  I also got the usb option.

I really like my current panel, and the option after rebates, and with my assisting my mechanic, was just under 3k.

The data is fantastic, and always run LOP (have gami's, and an IO360A3B6).  Consistently burning about 8 gph, 140kts in a 64 E.