201 Cowling for Pre J Mooney's

I don't see that the LoPresti style should inherently cost any more to make than the stock J style, but it apparently gives some decent improvements in performance (over the stock J, and yet more so over the stock C-F cowl).  If this is correct, I'd be more inclined to prefer that style.  Besides, it looks cool.

It would also be good, if feasible, to improve cowl access--large, easy-opening hatches for preflight, etc.  I'm sure there's a trade-off between that, cost, stiffness, etc., but something to consider.

I am interested in this project as well. Like most, it will depend on cost to purchase and install. I would think that the cowl's for the C and G would be very similar to the cowl's for the E and F.  I think that the structure is very similar, only the induction portion would be different.

Another variation that may exist is the planes with the old dog house baffle system. Would this require a different cowl design?

Ron

The cowlings should be similar and it would be nice to get one STC to cover them both, but because of the difference between the carbureted and fuel injected inductuction systems it will most likely be two STC's covering the models. I am looking at keeping a plenum/doghouse baffle system for cooling, but plan an access panel to get to the engine lifting point for jacking easier. I believe the plenum and round inlets combination will give the best cooling and performance.

Thanks again for the feedback.

• 7 months later...

I'm happy to report that the Mooney cowling mod STC has been moved to the front of my priority list. I've had some recent business changes on FAA/PMA parts that have been shelved for the time being and now with that time and money freed up, it's time to work the cowling mod.

A few decisions have been made in regards to materials and design. I will incorporate round air inlets for engine cooling, it will retain the plenum system to control cooling, it will retain the landing light in the original location, undecided about the oil cooler, undecided about the air inlet to carb/fuel injection. My intention is to have the nose bowl manufactured out of aluminum by hydroforming. I absolutely do not want to rivet fiberglass or carbon fiber to the original cowling structure. I start the modification and mold making process on my spare cowlings today. I'll post pictures as I now move forward on this project.

David Staffeldt

Vintage Airworks

• Like 2

I have the swta cowl mod on my E , when I changed the oil last week , I set the upper cowl on the floor in the hanger of my IA who coincedentally was doing the Annual on smiles plane.......The upper cowls were IDENTICAL.....Also keep in mind folks , when mooney goes out of buisness , and they will go out of buisness , owner manufactured parts will become an option.....

Owner produced parts are a great option if you understand what that means. I'm more than happy to do owner produced parts, especially if time is an issue. They're manufactured to original specs in my shop.

David

My motivation is to make my Mooney look better and to get rid of the ARI cowl enclosure that keeps cracking. Riveting fiberglass or carbon fiber to aluminum does not work for long. I'm not going to do it this way. I don't look to get rich and make a killing from this. My first goal will be to make my Mooney look great at a reasonable cost, second, recoup my investment, thirdly, to make a little money to do the next mod Mooney owners want.

Should be fun and challenging.

David

post-7497-0-05109800-1364078545_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-83286600-1364078577_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-90248000-1364078613_thumb.jp

post-7497-0-73619200-1364078679_thumb.jp

Glad to see your moving foward. Here are a few things that would interest me.

Keep the side cheeks. I find these very handy for quickly removing to looking at the bottom of the engine.

Offer an option without a cutout for the oil cooler. This gives a nice smooth look for those who have already relocated the oil cooler.

Another option would be to offer a second light in the oil cooler position.

I would also be very interested in a better "Inline" induction system that eleminates the ram air.

• Like 1

when mooney goes out of buisness , and they will go out of buisness , owner manufactured parts will become an option.....

Owner-produced parts are already an option--there's no requirement that the factory be out of business. However, you need to show that the new part conforms to the type design, which can be difficult for more complex parts.

Here's a picture of what will be used in my cowling mod. I am keeping the side panels, and landing light. Thank you for the oil cooler suggestion, that is a great idea. I'll need to think of the easiest way to have it optional while keeping aesthetics and cost down. I need to finish my engine monitor and then I can wrap the engine, install these cowls and begin the process for making the mold.

David

post-7497-0-39010100-1364132434_thumb.jp

It's going to use a 201 spinner for the slope that you mention. I can provide the spinner with the STC or leave it to the owner to find one and control the cost. I personally can't wait to see the round inlets on my C.

David

David,

Thanks for working on this.  Always glad to provide technical support with Materials Properties testing equipment and any images or technical measurements from a late (1975) F model.  The Cam lock side panels on the later models is a great addition if you can include that for the early models and save it on the later ones would be very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I've been working with Will James of James Aircraft to create the new nose. I have the inlet rings for the cooling air and carb air and am working on the mould for the aluminum. Slow but steady.

David

• Like 6

• 6 months later...
  • 7 years later...