Avidyne IFD540 webinar

bnicolette

This morning I heard from an Avidyne factory rep that our Mooney's are one of the top three next A/C to be considered for the the DFC 90 autopilot retrofit. Would'nt that be nice! I might even be able to get my sweetie to fly if she knew she could just push the straight and level emergency button.  

Quote: Cris

This morning I heard from an Avidyne factory rep that our Mooney's are one of the top three next A/C to be considered for the the DFC 90 autopilot retrofit. Would'nt that be nice! I might even be able to get my sweetie to fly if she knew she could just push the straight and level emergency button.  

I have been following the IFD540 for sometime and personally can't wait for it to be sitting in my panel.

I have never seen a box so intuitive when it comes to flight plan entry and it mirrors in a lot of ways what we use in the corporate jet world with Honeywell, Universal & Collins.  I also really like the way it has the option of using either the touch screen or buttons/knobs.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I jumped in with both feet and got in on the pre purchase deal.  Now I just have to wait until the 1st quarter of 2013.

In addition to just wanting the unit I am justifying it thinking that if I had to sell the plane I should be able to recoup the cost of the unit since I am buying it at a discount?  I know that installation cost is usually deemed not recoverable but I was thinking in this case I should also be able to recoup that cost?  At least that's how I have convinced myself it's okay to spend the money.  Wink

"In addition to just wanting the unit I am justifying it thinking that if I had to sell the plane I should be able to recoup the cost of the unit since I am buying it at a discount? I know that installation cost is usually deemed not recoverable but I was thinking in this case I should also be able to recoup that cost? At least that's how I have convinced myself it's okay to spend the money. "

Hey Brett The human psyche is outstanding about being able to rationalize why we go from point A to B LOL but I think that Avidyne 540 will be terrific in your panal and you are correct in that at some point when you sell the purchaser will want you to take a haircut on the A/C without Wass. I really would like them to come out with a replacement for the 430 which would fit my current equipment much better. When you get it installed please take me flying!!

Quote: Cris

Hey Brad The human psyche is outstanding about being able to rationalize why we go from point A to B LOLK but I think that Avidyne 540 will be terrific in your panal and you are correct.

When you get it installed please take me fluing!!

Brett, I think with the discounted price you won't take a bath if you have to sell soon, unless they leave the price that low indefinitely.  Either way, I think it is a smart move right now.  I've got a 530W/430W combo and I'm not at all tempted to upgrade to the GTN series, but the Avidyne unit has caught my eye.  I'm likely not going to do anything to my panel in the near term, though, as I want to pay off my plane first.

Scott I was thinking that it is possible that their price point may be a lower than what they're advertising as their suggested retail.  It seems like it would have to be a bit less than the GTN750 to be competitive.  I got a quote for a used GNS430W a couple months ago for $7500.  Since I think it's inevitable that I'd be heading down this road anyhow (IFR GPS) it seemed silly not to go for the Avidyne deal with all the advancements over the Garmin 430 unit.  I just have to wait for a while.  It is I guess a leap of faith that Avidyne will deliver in the time period that they're shooting for and certification has to go smoothly, but worst case, other than them going into bankruptcy, is my money sits there at zero growth and I can get a full refund if I decide to opt out.  I really like the Avidyne EX500 that I fly behind in one of our airplanes.  It is faster and more brilliant than the Garmin GMX200 that I used to use in my last job, so I am really excited to see the IFD first hand.

I'm sure you know how nice WAAS is, especially coupled with a good autopilot with GPSS...totally transforms single pilot IFR and makes it much, easier and thus safer IMO.  I wouldn't choose a 430W for that price today, so I think you're making a good choice. Avidyne is established and has been around the block once or twice, so I don't see much risk aside from schedule slips.

Quote: Bnicolette

Scott I was thinking that it is possible that their price point may be a lower than what they're advertising as their suggested retail.  It seems like it would have to be a bit less than the GTN750 to be competitive.  I got a quote for a used GNS430W a couple months ago for $7500.  Since I think it's inevitable that I'd be heading down this road anyhow (IFR GPS) it seemed silly not to go for the Avidyne deal with all the advancements over the Garmin 430 unit.  I just have to wait for a while.  It is I guess a leap of faith that Avidyne will deliver in the time period that they're shooting for and certification has to go smoothly, but worst case, other than them going into bankruptcy, is my money sits there at zero growth and I can get a full refund if I decide to opt out.  I really like the Avidyne EX500 that I fly behind in one of our airplanes.  It is faster and more brilliant than the Garmin GMX200 that I used to use in my last job, so I am really excited to see the IFD first hand.

Was just doing some reading on www.avidynelive.com and found out that the IFD540 will cross fill the flightplan to my gpsmap396.  Not a huge deal but definitely a plus for me as it takes for ever to fill in a flight plan of any length on the 396 and since I'm going to upgrade to the IFD540 I have no immediate intentions of replacing the 396.

I wonder if they will have any sort of iPad integration with the IFD540?  Does anybody have any intel on this?