Pre-Purchase Inspection Pheonix

Can you get the airplane in a purchase agreement where the seller agrees to pay Airworthiness items and you pay the flat rate labor?  Since it appears you need to get the airplane to New Jersey, you might as well have a reputable MSC take care of that on its way to its new home.  Maybe one in Texas (Dugosh or Don Maxwell) or Ohio (G-Force Aviation) since they are on the way to where you live.

You could also offer to pay the delivery charges.  Airplanes aren't exactly selling like they used to - unless the airplane is grounded for some reason, you can make this part of your negotiation.

Quote: Parker_Woodruff

Can you get the airplane in a purchase agreement where the seller agrees to pay Airworthiness items and you pay the flat rate labor?  Since it appears you need to get the airplane to New Jersey, you might as well have a reputable MSC take care of that on its way to its new home.  Maybe one in Texas (Dugosh or Don Maxwell) or Ohio (G-Force Aviation) since they are on the way to where you live.

You could also offer to pay the delivery charges.  Airplanes aren't exactly selling like they used to - unless the airplane is grounded for some reason, you can make this part of your negotiation.

Quote: ScubaSteve

Sir, the purchase agreement has the seller taking care of all items found in the inspection or we will renegotiate the price of the plane etc...  My home field N87 has AirMods, an MSC, and will maintaining this ship back at home.  I would just like to get an A/P that knows Mooney's to crawl around her before my partner and I sign on the dotted line..

Since you are going to use Air Mods have you considered having Dave Mathieson or one of his A/P's fly out with you and then bring it back assuming it passes his inspection. Alternatively there are a number of good A/P like Bruce Jaeger who fly around that part of the country and might be willing to stop in Phoenix. Lastly and probably the least expensive is to have Dave review the logs and then talk with a local mechanic on the field to look for specific items that Dave might want to have checked based on his review. You could  do that without even going to Phoenix.

Quote: Cris

Since you are going to use Air Mods have you considered having Dave Mathieson or one of his A/P's fly out with you and then bring it back assuming it passes his inspection. Alternatively there are a number of good A/P like Bruce Jaeger who fly around that part of the country and might be willing to stop in Phoenix. Lastly and probably the least expensive is to have Dave review the logs and then talk with a local mechanic on the field to look for specific items that Dave might want to have checked based on his review. You could  do that without even going to Phoenix.

• 2 weeks later...

Full report.. anything make you experts say get away from this plane?  Engine is about 350 hours...

1.  No compass correction card.  $50
  2. Gear down lock block worn.  ?  Need further investigation
  3. Trim indicator inop.  ?                           
  4. Sun visor missing.  ?                            
  5. Door brace worn.  $300
  6. RT gear has safety wire backwards.  $20
  7. Gas caps leaking past seals.  $75
  8. Gear retract dust boot torn.  $200
  9. Fuel smell when entering cabin.  (could not visually spot, tanks not full at this time.  Generally $1,000.00 per wing root to re-seal)
  10. Not all seat belts have required TSO tag.  $200.00
  11. Annual inspection complied with on 3-22-2012 at 5846.0
  12. IFR cert complied with 12-20-10.  Recommend new check prior to purchase.
  13. ELT battery expires 2-28-2013.
  14. New cylinders installed at overhaul on 7-26-06 at tach 5537.
  15. Engine total time same as airframe total time.  Not noted on overhaul.
  16. Propeller S/N DY2456A overhauled May 2005.  Past TBO.
  17. Air induction boot worn. $300
  18. Landing light wire rubbing exhaust.  $20
  19. Oil filler tube loose. $20
  20. Spark plug top #4 has had spark plug threads Heli coil fall out.  Replace with new.  No anti seize compound noted on sparkplug threads.
  21. Fuel tanks indicate full.  Fuel about 3” below top.
  22. Last available AD compliance report Aug, 2008.
  23. Cylinder compression: #1) 72/80  #2) 76/80  #3) 75/80 #4)
  24. Latest available Weight and balance dated 7-26-06.  Unable to determine what equipment is included in aircraft related to that weighing. 
  25. Nose wheel loose.  Maybe bad bearings, or wheel  $200.
  26. LT and RT fuel drains leaking.  $75
  27. LT main down lock pivot bolt worn at zerk fitting. $300
  28. Nose gear loose.  Excessive wear.  Requires re torque and snugging up.  $50
  29. Electrical terminal covers missing.  Forward of firewall.  $50
  30. Nose gear steering loose.  Average
  31. LT main gear not going all the way up.  $200
  32. RT gear door hanging open.  $200
  33. Tie wrap holding air intake hose on.   See # 17
  34. Battery needs cleaning battery acid on top of battery.
  35. Bottom AFT of battery box has corrosion.  $75
  36. Aircraft painted in July 2006.  No mention of static balancing controls as required.  No mention of  stripping aircraft of the old paint. 

Steve:

Good work by Chandler.  Nothing I see that should cause you grief.  Most of these items are "relatively" easy to deal with. 

I did not do the arithmatic however.  Looks like quite a few pennies to add up and headed towards AMUs of work.

Follow up on the fuel smell in the cabin.  Fill the tanks to the top.  Well sealed tanks do not smell.  

Wet carpet is an extreme leak.

You can remove the interior panels to inspect the side of the tank and see where the leak is entering the cabin...

My C had a seal leak in the right tank and died the carpet blue.  The leak was easily foun by removing the panel.

Good luck.

Best regards,

-a-

Nothin on that list out of ordinary. I would have pulled a cylinder off it it flew less than 30 hours a year or sat more than 2 months. I would skip that if it was from AZ or NM though.  Did they pull the left sidewall panel and check the tubes?  That, and pulling the door sill plate and looking at the tubes behind that, you might also find the fuel leak.

Looks like I missed the fuel smell thing in my response.  I agree with carusoam - get it checked first.  If it is a fuel sender or the gasket, it is easy.  Mine was not and I needed a complete reseal done by the MSC that did my pre-purchase inspection. 

I should have twigged to that one.

Thank everyone!

They went searching for the fuel leak...  Couldn't find it and they feel it is extremely small and probably at the wing root.   I think we are just going to renegotiate the price a bit on this one and we will do it when it gets back home when we're ready.  The fuel smell was very minimal and we knew about it prior to offering to buy the bird..  We are going to ask that the other items are repaired or we will deduct the estimated price repair off the agreed apon price.  Most of the items we believe they should be fixed very quickly.  Most important there was no corrosion found!

Fuel leak would be the biggest unknown. If it is the original a patch job may not be an option. 

28 nose gear.  This will probably require an oversized bushing from lasar

30. Loose nose gear steering. Close to 1k depending on how it is fixed. 

2. Lasar sells new block. Around 500

Quote: N601RX

Fuel leak would be the biggest unknown. If it is the original a patch job may not be an option. 

28 nose gear.  This will probably require an oversized bushing from lasar

30. Loose nose gear steering. Close to 1k depending on how it is fixed. 

2. Lasar sells new block. Around 500

The girl is here in jersey now. Based TTN... Although going through the logs and compiling ADs.... Seems chandler did not pick up on the ECI cylinder AD... Ho hum... Looks like a fifty hour compression check will be accompanying my oil changes...

Missing an AD is not Ho Hum That is what you are paying to have verified prior to purchase. I'd be contacting Chandler for an adjustment and/or requesting how they handle errors and omissions with their business owners insurance policy.

Quote: Cris

The girl is here in jersey now. Based TTN... Although going through the logs and compiling ADs.... Seems chandler did not pick up on the ECI cylinder AD... Ho hum... Looks like a fifty hour compression check will be accompanying my oil changes...

Missing an AD is not Ho Hum That is what you are paying to have verified prior to purchase. I'd be contacting Chandler for an adjustment and/or requesting how they handle errors and omissions with their business owners insurance policy.

Quote: ScubaSteve

No that was covered when the engine was overhauled in 2006... So ok there... 

There are worse things than doing a compression check with every oil change.. but...  good thing i have a friend as an AP.. looks like I'll be buying him a lot beers...