how to replace pinned aileron rod ends

JoeM

My aileron rod ends are worn and need to be replaced. They are pinned into the rod (pic below). My mechanic is trying to determine how to replace them and with what part number. Spruce carries threaded m34-14 rod ends. Is that the one? 

TIA

-3957297969539770410.jpg

Your A&P should know how to replace roll pins.  Given age, some penetrating oil and probably heat should be applied.  I'd guess the new rod ends are not pre-drilled which could be tricky, especially with crossed pins.

----

Just read varlajo's post above, which makes sense.

18 minutes ago, JoeM said:

My aileron rod ends are worn and need to be replaced. They are pinned into the rod (pic below). My mechanic is trying to determine how to replace them and with what part number. Spruce carries threaded m34-14 rod ends. Is that the one? 

TIA

-3957297969539770410.jpg

Read these two (2) posts.  Specifically look at the comments by "Clarence".  He owns and operates the Mooney Service Center, Tri-City Aero, in Ontario, Canada. He is also the Authorized Service Center for Cirrus and Diamond.   He was a wealth of useful pragmatic advice before the bastards here ran him off with criticism.  His MS name was "M20Doc" but his remaining comments just appear as "Guest" now. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AJ88V said:

Your A&P should know how to replace roll pins.  Given age, some penetrating oil and probably heat should be applied.  I'd guess the new rod ends are not pre-drilled which could be tricky, especially with crossed pins.

----

Just read varlajo's post above, which makes sense.

In Clarence's 2022 post, he noted that the old-style tube and rod end come un-drilled from Mooney.  That is why he suggested drilling and installing larger diameter pins if the Factory would approve.

As noted, the new style threaded ends make a lot more sense.

Edited by 1980Mooney
  • Like 1

I had a similar problem with one of my retract tubes in the fuselage, rod ends had worked roll pins loose, slippage almost 1/8", bought oversized roll pins but my A&P AI insisted on using monel rivets instead, worked on a lot of helicopters and said the monel rivets were an approved replacement for the roll pins and would work better than the oversized roll pins, sure enough, no slippage after one year and no oversized hole in the rod end and retract tube

FWIW. When I spoke with Mooney about upsizing the roll pins they said they didn't have the engineering data to support that.  So sounded like removing the roll pins, replacing the rod ends were one thing.  But that play in the retract tubes needing an oversized roll pin to "snug up" was not approved.  I wound up having my MSC order a set of MLG retract tubes and just having them installed along with an oil change when they arrived 3 months later.

As a side note, the rod ends are not manufactured by Mooney and I think that was what contributed to the backlog...had to wait for an order of rod ends and then have the retract tubes assembled, painted and shipped.  Not sure what current lead time would be.