Pretty Efficient

10 minutes ago, 201er said:

Isn’t that 16.1nmpg?

There were a couple of minutes between photos for radio calls. Since NMPG is based on ground speed, not true airspeed, maybe the wind shifted for a bit of a tailwind by the time I got the second photo.

1 hour ago, Danb said:

It’d be neat for Dr Ken to do a site up comparison of the planes he’s owned, compare and contrast in real world conditions

I'll start by listing them. If I have time tonight I'll start a different thread and discuss them.

1. Piper Cherokee 140
  2. Mooney M20C
  3. Cirrus SR22
  4. Cessna 152 (bought for my CFI to be able to go independent from the flight school)
  5. Mooney Bravo M20M
  6. Piper Seneca III
  7. Mooney M20F
  8. Beech B55 Colemill Baron
  9. Cessna 182
  10. Piper Twin Comanche
  11. Lancair 320
  12. Cessna P337
  13. Cessna 182
  14. Mooney 231 M20K
  15. Beech B55 Baron
  16. Beech S35 Bonanza
  17. Cessna P337
  18. Cessna 310Q
  19. Beech M35 Bonanza
  20. Cirrus SR20
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, KLRDMD said:

I'll start by listing them. If I have time tonight I'll start a different thread and discuss them.

1. Piper Cherokee 140
  2. Mooney M20C
  3. Cirrus SR22
  4. Cessna 152 (bought for my CFI to be able to go independent from the flight school)
  5. Mooney Bravo M20M
  6. Piper Seneca III
  7. Mooney M20F
  9. Cessna 182
  10. Piper Twin Comanche
  11. Lancair 320
  12. Cessna P337
  13. Cessna 182
  14. Mooney 231 M20K
  15. Beech B55 Baron
  16. Beech S35 Bonanza
  17. Cessna P337
  18. Cessna 310Q
  19. Beech M35 Bonanza
  20. Cirrus SR20

Wow..

@KLRDMD - Why so many planes? Just like switching it up? Seems like a lot of upgrades then downgrades. I'd consider the SR20 a downgrade from a lot of those. You could say "well it has a chute and it's fancy", but you also downgraded from an SR22. 

7 minutes ago, natdm said:

@KLRDMD - Why so many planes? Just like switching it up? Seems like a lot of upgrades then downgrades. I'd consider the SR20 a downgrade from a lot of those. You could say "well it has a chute and it's fancy", but you also downgraded from an SR22. 

Not downgrades, change in mission. Unlike some, I don't force one airplane to meet my needs for many years when it doesn't any longer. The SR20 is the right airplane for me right now.

7 minutes ago, BlueSky247 said:

@Utah20Gflyer I like that panel! Those 275's have such a great display on them. Nicely done! I really like that fuel readout as well - which one is that?

Thanks,  the fuel quantity display is an aerospace logic gauge.  I switched to that when I did the CIES fuel senders.   There were a few hiccups after the initial install but since I got those resolved it’s been great. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

With a 49" wide cabin and the gear down?

Sorry,  I remembered taking a picture doing 145kts TAS at 10.5k msl and couldn’t help myself.   I concede those  numbers in a Cirrus are quite good.  

17 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

Not downgrades, change in mission. Unlike some, I don't force one airplane to meet my needs for many years when it doesn't any longer. The SR20 is the right airplane for me right now.

How many missions in life do you have that make it worth switching that often? The changes in most models can't be significant enough to make a new mission flight profile that dramatic and worth the pre-purchase inspection, training, etc.

9 hours ago, KLRDMD said:

1. Piper Cherokee 140
  2. Mooney M20C
  3. Cirrus SR22
  5. Mooney Bravo M20M
  6. Piper Seneca III
  7. Mooney M20F
  9. Cessna 182
  10. Piper Twin Comanche
  11. Lancair 320
  12. Cessna P337
  13. Cessna 182
  14. Mooney 231 M20K
  15. Beech B55 Baron
  16. Beech S35 Bonanza
  17. Cessna P337
  18. Cessna 310Q
  19. Beech M35 Bonanza
  20. Cirrus SR20

That is AWESOME!

I started at #7...and, come to think of it, have stopped there:D

On another web forum, there was a used car salesman out of TX that would buy a new to him airplane every year or so. He owned because there was no flight school nearby and he switched airframes because he enjoyed the variety. I did notice that he always bought the best example he could find and I believe it that was so that he could re-sell easily.

I'm keep vehicles for a long time just because it's a more efficient use of my time, money, and decreases risk. While there is something cool about having a family airplane, that intimate knowledge that makes you a better operator and facilitates maintenance, etc... I would love to be in a position to switch airplane every year and enjoy the learning process and characteristics of different airplanes. We only have so little time, we may as we do things that bring us pleasure.

When did you buy the first airplane Ken? Do you typically have one airplane at a time? What has been your favorite to fly?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Thomas said:

When did you buy the first airplane Ken? Do you typically have one airplane at a time? What has been your favorite to fly?

The first airplane was 2001 so 23 years ago. Roughly one per year but some I've had over two years and others just a few months. Now and then I had two airplanes at once but not typically.

Which was my favorite? The first P337. Which one should I have kept? The first P337. An argument could be made for the Twin Comanche or the second Baron. Interesting that they're all twins . . .

CPA0216.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/26/2024 at 6:30 AM, Danb said:

It’d be neat for Dr Ken to do a write up comparison of the planes he’s owned, compare and contrast in real world conditions

That write-up would be longer than War and Peace. .  Lol

https://tableau.uchicago.edu/articles/2013/04/why-read-war-and-peace#:~:text=The book's complexity and prodigious,reputation as a literary crucible.