Get voting for an alternative engine option!

2 hours ago, redbaron1982 said:

100% For me, the most impressive number is not the 8.3 gph at 75% but the 11.4 gph at full-rated power. 

I have no idea if it is even feasible to retrofit this into an M20J, let alone if someone is willing to go through the STC process.

I wonder how much would be the TCO, considering there is no ignition system at all (no magnetos, spark plugs, etc.).

Reliability could be also a relevant improvement.

I think one of the biggest hurdles will be cowl design. It’s not a plug and play with cowls designed for opposed air cooled engines.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Yesterday I filled out the questionnaire and received an e-mail back from the company this morning that seemed to indicate that the 180 h.p. version is most desired.

That's all that some of us need! Just not at 100AMU . . . Wonder what that would do to my W&B? May have to relocate the battery from the firewall to the radio tray.

2 hours ago, Mufflerbearing said:

I saw the videos and the costs of the engine was mentioned there. 

For a J model this engine would be ok, but having an ovation, I'm hoping they would have an option for maybe a 6 cyl with enough HP to equal what I have now.  Maybe in the future.  I do like this idea for an engine, but I am getting (at 10k-12k') 170 kts true at 11.5 gph.  This engine may not get that.

Also, I had a 8V92 silver which is a detroit diesel 2 stroke engine.  Besides it leaking everywhere, horrible fuel mileage and down on power, it was a great engine.  Technology has been around for a long time.  I think this is a good option if it works out.

I estimate you’re making about 160hp at 11.5gph. Any one of these turbo diesels should do that at a lower fuel burn.

I understand why most are skeptical. Having switched to a turbo diesel road car a few years back, I am a believer. The difference in fuel specifics are sort of mind boggling at first.  Like anything you get used to it. I’m now disappointed if I average <36mpg on a road trip in large sport sedan loaded to well over 4K. 40mpg is the goal.

1 minute ago, Shadrach said:

I’m now disappointed if I average <36mpg on a road trip in large sport sedan loaded to well over 4K. 40mpg is the goal.

With our VW Jetta TDI you can add 10 to those numbers.

Edited by AH-1 Cobra Pilot
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

I estimate you’re making about 160hp at 11.5gph. Any one of these turbo diesels should do that at a lower fuel burn.

I understand why most are skeptical. Having switched to a turbo diesel road car a few years back, I am a believer. The difference in fuel specifics are sort of mind boggling at first.  Like anything you get used to it. I’m now disappointed if I average <36mpg on a road trip in large sport sedan loaded to well over 4K. 40mpg is the goal.

My Nissan Altima, running on Regular gas, gets 38-39 mpg commuting through the woods to work, 35 miles each way. Loaded on a road trip on I-85 from SC, coming across Atlanta and back to Sweet Home, I've seen as high as 41 mpg. And no stinky, greasy diesel fuel to deal with!

Dump the SUV and you'll be shocked at the GAS mileage you can get . . . . .

55 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

SAME, I even have personal experience.

I've owned 2 2014 Jeep GrandCherokees, 1 V8 and 1 EcoDiesel.

the wife absolutely hated the V8 due to crappy gas mileage, i believe she was getting something like 18mpg.

swapped it for the EcoDiesel which is averaging about 26mpg and 30+ hwy, no more complaints. 

i was so impressed our next car was a turbodiesel,  no bs, she stops for gas maybe once per month.

My next car will be a gmc 1500 turbo diesel or electric something or other

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

With our VW Jetta TDI you can add 10 to those numbers.

Indeed. But I’d miss the sub 6 second 0-60 and the  >400lbft on hand @ 1500rpm. I get the strangest looks when people see a trailer full of firewood behind a 5 series.

1 hour ago, Hank said:

My Nissan Altima, running on Regular gas, gets 38-39 mpg commuting through the woods to work, 35 miles each way. Loaded on a road trip on I-85 from SC, coming across Atlanta and back to Sweet Home, I've seen as high as 41 mpg. And no stinky, greasy diesel fuel to deal with!

Dump the SUV and you'll be shocked at the GAS mileage you can get . . . . .

I’ve never owned an SUV. This is a 5 series BMW. I’m not downing the ultima, that’s a great commuter. But for a family of four it’s small for a road trip.  just took my family to Great Wolf lodge for two days. We did 412 highway miles RT plus driving around Williamsburg for a total of 460miles.  We avg 35.5mpg and returned home with just about a quarter tank remaining. It is the best road car I’ve ever owned. What’s more remarkable is that it is still turning high 20s mpg Cherokee speeds.

40 minutes ago, McMooney said:

the wife absolutely hated the V8 due to crappy gas mileage, i believe she was getting something like 18mpg.

swapped it for the EcoDiesel which is averaging about 26mpg and 30+ hwy, no more complaints. 

i was so impressed our next car was a turbodiesel,  no bs, she stops for gas maybe once per month.

Why has no one made a diesel hybrid.

• Like 1

This sounds like a good deal of one day they plug it to NA Mooneys? 

I flew on AE300 with 170hp, it gets 25mpg at 150mph in fixed gear DA40NG. In a slick Mooney airframe, I would say 40mpg is possible ! 

There is the CD300 that runs on JetA, I am sure some competition in the "300hp corner" is very healthy as well 

Edited by Ibra

1 hour ago, McMooney said:

felt the need to make clear, this is not an endorsement of jeep products,  just my experience with a turbodiesel engine.

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER JEEP PRODUCT

• Haha 3

@Shadrach, You made a great point about the hp at elevation and power at fuel flow.  Something I hadn't considered. 

I have owned many diesels and love them.  Only one I disliked and it was the only 2 stroke diesel I owned.  I believe this could be a good option.  Though I believe we will still need the hp to get off the ground.

4 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Why has no one made a diesel hybrid.

They're all over Europe.   Audi raced them at LeMans for many years in the prototype class.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricJ said:

They're all over Europe.   Audi raced them at LeMans for many years in the prototype class.

I remember the R10 Diesels of the mid to early aughts. Didn’t know they made a hybrid diesel race car.

2 hours ago, AH-1 Cobra Pilot said:

The “death wobble” get to you?

No, it's due exceptionally bad service at one of their dealerships.

we took the car back to that dealership 4 or 5 times because the dealership didn't put the bolts back in the car.

I mean all the bolts under the car, trim and bumper.   it fell apart drivign down the highway, to which the dealership tried to say WE must've ran into something.

I took the car to the corner mechanic who took pictures of all the bolts missing  and the dealership still didnt' put the car back together

hell even called stellantis, who said they'd do something and guess what nothing.

so i ended up paying the roadside mechanic thousands to fix my car and say the hell with chrysler

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, McMooney said:

we took the car back to that dealership 4 or 5 times because the dealership didn't put the bolts back in the car.

I'm sure I have told this story here before, but a Ford dealership once failed to put lug nuts on my left front wheel.  Somehow, they got my truck out front to the pick-up area without the wheel falling off.  When I drove away, you can imagine the noise it made -- somehow the 12-year-old who brought the truck up to the front didn't notice the grinding noises.  It's not that the lug nuts were loose or that some were missing -- there were zero lug nuts holding the wheel on.  I no longer drive Fords (or a pickup for that matter).

8 minutes ago, rturbett said:

For the newbie just reading this post…. What fuel does the diesel burn?

Jet-A.  The advantage is that in most places on the planet, avgas is not readily available.  I suspect the US is creeping toward that same fate.

On 3/19/2024 at 9:30 AM, Pinecone said:

The nice thing is, in a pinch it will also burn road vehicle diesel, home heating oil, and kerosine.  :D

Farm diesel too! :P  Years ago I knew of a guy in Northern PA that was running a Mig-17. It was rumored that operated almost exclusively on off road diesel. While illegal, I understand why at >200GPH burn rates.  The running joke was that Ultra Low Sulphur, farm diesel was likely far more refined than anything the Soviets ever put in it.

• Like 1