Ovation being repainted.

UPDATE   Rented a PA28-180 and stopped in at Smoketown to check the progress of my Mooney and am pleased with what I see so far.   On a side note,  I had forgotten how nice the Ovation performs until I rented another I flew a rental.   I can't wait to get her back.  thumbnail_IMG_4743.jpg.76fc2403997d01fd6fe2ceba685734f8.jpgfrontright.jpg.e12d4c8cb0027ea4d2c2a214900f57f3.jpgNorm

The paint on my Ovation stood up pretty year but after 29 years of flying ice pellets and crystals had taken their toll especially above the wind screen.   So off to Lancaster Aero she went to get a makeover.    I am having per painted the same colors and paint scheme as original.   This is going to take six to eight weeks for completion as well as a sizable dent in my pocket. :)  Unless I rent a plane this will be the longest duration I have gone without piloting an aircraft since 1985.

UPDATE   Rented a PA28-180 and stopped in at Smoketown to check the progress of my Mooney and am pleased with what I see so far

thumbnail_IMG_4746.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4743.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4744.jpg

large right 2.jpg

large right.jpg

pilots side.jpg

right.jpg

seft wing.jpg

maroon1.jpg

maroon2.jpg

maroon3.jpg

Edited by Little Dipper
progress update
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Little Dipper said:

Unless I rent a plane this will be the longest duration I have gone without piloting an aircraft since 1985.

That's an awesome streak that I absolutely don't think you should break!  Definitely will need to rent then!!

53 minutes ago, Schllc said:

Great excuse to go get another rating!  Taildragger, seaplane, glider etc…

+1 to this 

No better time to do it - you won’t feel like you’re abandoning your Mooney :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Schllc said:

At 30 years do you do the windows and windshield too, or the fuel tanks?

I’ve always thought the fuel tanks are a must before new paint….

The glass is in excellent condition as I have been anal about getting the bugs off before they dry/fry on the glass and keeping it clean.    I didn't do the fuel tanks because I had Weep No More in Minnesota reseal them almost nine years ago in Minnesota.     To your point I hope I am not making a mistake on that.

• Like 1

If you have the time and flexibility, the ideal situation would be to strip the plane first, then reseal the tanks, then paint the plane.

The chemical strippers can work their way through the seams and rivets and damage the tank sealant.    You can mechanically strip instead but I expect most paint shops would rather not do that since the additional labor expense is probably uncompensated and that eats into their profit.   Even if they charge extra for it, it reduces their throughput.

3 hours ago, Little Dipper said:

The paint shop didn't want to remove them because they are riveted on and have them covered up pretty well.     

They are not riveted. They are held on by adhesive. What looks like rivets are actually anodes.

21 minutes ago, GeeBee said:

They are not riveted. They are held on by adhesive. What looks like rivets are actually anodes.

Your probably right.   I don't know what anodes are but they look like rivets and were installed by the factory.   In either event I wouldn't have wanted the paint shop to remove the TKS and disturb all of the plumbing that goes along with it.   Over the years I had to replace two stall strips which became unglued.   

@Little Dipper Make sure the TKS panels are very well protected.  If they get damaged by solvent it would require panel replacement $$$$.  The panels are held on with sealant and usually riveted in the corners. 99% of the time when a panel has to be removed it ends up getting destroyed due to the separation of the backplate and front plate. 

That is going to be a nice looking Mooney. Can't wait to see the end result. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CAV Ice said:

@Little Dipper Make sure the TKS panels are very well protected.  If they get damaged by solvent it would require panel replacement $$$$.  The panels are held on with sealant and usually riveted in the corners. 99% of the time when a panel has to be removed it ends up getting destroyed due to the separation of the backplate and front plate. 

That is going to be a nice looking Mooney. Can't wait to see the end result. 

Thanks.    Appreciate the advice.

3 minutes ago, Little Dipper said:

Getting close to completion.   I am pleased with the workmanship so far.   If I am lucky I will be flying this time next week.

Norm

N995k

maroon1.jpg

maroon2.jpg

maroon3.jpg

Hey, is looking great! 

Do you mind sharing rough numbers on how much it cost?

Thanks!