Don't let your airplane sit.....a lesson

Mark89114

Due to shall we say owner induced delays my mooney has been sitting for 8 months....started right up today but......m

Prop seal started to leak

One valve cover is leaking bad

And fuel is pouring out the back of the high pressure fuel pump......I have video but don't think I can post.

Let this be a lesson to fly your airplane more.

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.  Yes, fly your plane, drive your boat, drive your classic car.  One flight a month for 15 to 30 minutes is all you really need to keep everything working.  Fly once a week, make it like your kid's soccer game don't miss it.  Get a friend that is a pilot to fly your plane too or fly a friend's plane so it doesn't sit.  The more you fly it costs less $ per hour to fly. 

Having someone else fly your baby is concerning but you do get used to it.    I have a friend that flies mine and after many  years I still find myself watching him on flight aware.:o:D

12 hours ago, Mark89114 said:

Due to shall we say owner induced delays my mooney has been sitting for 8 months....started right up today but......m

Prop seal started to leak

One valve cover is leaking bad

And fuel is pouring out the back of the high pressure fuel pump......I have video but don't think I can post.

Let this be a lesson to fly your airplane more.

Sometimes downtime can’t be avoided, but also sometimes maintenance things come in bunches. Don’t beat yourself up, those things would have all happened eventually anyway.

I used to volunteer at a museum with a lot of WW II era planes (P-51, Spitfire, Tigercat, Bearcat, B-25, DC-3 and a bunch of others). The planes all flew but generally only a few hours a year. The mechanic once noted that he had great job security because, “When they fly these old airplanes, they break, and when they don’t fly them, they break.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, rickseeman said:

My number is it doesn't cost anything to fly it one hour per month. Things will go wrong if you don't.

I have a hard time flying less than an hour, unless it's just 3 night landings going both directions--that's just 0.5.

• Like 1

I usually fly at least once a week, usually twice, but they are short 15 to 20 min flights to eat, then back of course.

I think, hope that’s enough, combined with a 25 hour oil change interval, but I also think how and where they are kept has a LOT to do with it, Davis Monthan isn’t in Florida for a very good reason, so if your in humid areas (Google map of aircraft corrosion or similar) if your not sure.

I think, I hope that even in higher corrosion areas if special attention is paid that the damage can be mitigated, but putting covers on an airplane tied down on the ramp within spitting distance of the ocean in Florida ain’t going to get it.

I spent years maintaining 24 Apache helicopters, I would tell people if you came to the hangar late at night and just sat, you could hear them breaking.

Machines for whatever reason like to be regularly exercised 

Edited by A64Pilot

On 7/28/2023 at 7:17 PM, M20Doc said:

I feel your pain,  mine was down 14 months with the engine out plus a bunch of airframe upgrades.  Thankfully flying well now that hibernation is over.

This is the airplane you maintained for the doctor in Sarina.

I was watching some videos from an overhaul shop (forgot the name) and they were saying how a plane needs to fly at least 1 hr each week. Right or Wrong, I make it a point to take my mooney up at least once at week for at least 1 hr...neither to say shit breaks still <_<

Going through annual now after sitting for nearly 18 months and I think the prop seal is leaking on mine as well. Took the spinner off and noticed a small leak on the prop, but we'll see what the IA says. Once this ordeal is done, I certainly intend to fly as much as possible.