Corrosion m20c

I just bought a share in the plane. Its a really nice M20C.

I noticed a little corrsion around one of the screws by the alerion (bubbley paint)... Should I just leave it until the next paint job, or should I sand it down, and touch it up.

There is actually a couple corrosion spots around some rivets and screws on the skins... Luckily there is little or no corrosion when I opened up the inspection panels.

The plane has had the same mechanic for 20 years, and it seems like he was too comfortabe with the plane and missed a few spots on the annual.

The plane is hangared as well.

I am still a student pilot, and I have spent more time working on the plane than flying it, which is good, becuase so far I have not spent any money, and I am learing alot about the plane, which might prevent me from getting stranded in the middle of no where. Luckily my flight instructor is also a A&P instructor, so I am getting alot of info by picking his brain.

Other than that, the plane is in overall great shape with 50 hrs  on engine and prop and she was well taken care of and hangared. I just need to work out a few kinks, and she will be flawless...

ok, I spoke with my brother in law who is an A&P for a major airline, and does a ton of sheet metal work... He said to take the screw out, get some metal tape (too keep the other areas from being scratched) tape a square around the corrsion, get a dremmel with a scotch bright pad, remove all of the corrosion, then primer it with primer with some corrosion inhibitor (can't remember the ingrediant). Then touch it up with an airbrush (I have the matching paint from when it was painted). And then fog with corrosion x to cover the inside of the skin... I am sure it will not  be perfect and you will see the lines from the tape, but it will look alot better than blisters in the paint...

Robert,

Good plan.  You will be surprised at how good your skills are.

Aluminum Primer is available in a spray can from aircraft spruce.

It is better to not have corrosion, than let it wait for a real paint job some day.

Note: do not sand down any rivets.  This is a problem of using power sanding equipment.  Stick to hand tools.  Attack small areas one at a time until you have good practice.

Best regards,

-a-