Maintenance recommendations

jbreda

I just read the post regarding a bad experience with a mechanic in Georgia.  I would like to put out there the suggestion that a section of this forum be created where owners can post (either anonymously or otherwise) a compilation of serice centers, mechanics, suppliers that are both stellar in their service as well as those that we should stay away from.  I am sure there are a multitude of stories out there (I know I have a few) that should be but out to the owners, for better or for worse.  Chime in and let us know what you think.  This would be a kind of better business bureau for Mooney owners.

John Breda

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some great east coast Mooney maintenance shops.  I've done business with each of these companies and was extremely pleased with the results.

Aerodyne: (Jim and JR) KPGV just west of Norfolk VA

http://www.aerodynecorporation.com/contactus.html

AirMods and Repair:  (Dave) Trenton-Robbinsville Airport (N87)

http://www.airmodsandrepair.com/home

Chris's Aircraft: (KUUU)  Newport RI

http://chrisaircraftinc.com/location.html

Mr. Breda,

I am assuming you read my post about Cole Aviation (A Mooney service center). If so I thank you for taking the time to read it and I think your idea is a great one. I just joined Mooney space and I was originally looking for a forum section on maintenance shops like you had mentioned. Sadly I could not find one. I think this would be a valuable asset for anyone owning a Mooney. The only problem that I can envision is one where the owners of the shop could make up a screen name and put inaccurate information on a forum. This happens quite a bit on review websites, to make them seem better than reality. But I guess that will happen anywhere. Great idea though.

Patrick

http://www.mooneyspace.com/index.cfm?mainaction=posts&page=1&forumid=1&threadid=3930#post48998

my post was deleted because i wrote about my bad experience about the above mentioned mechanic and printed his name. i think its unfair but i hope it helps others.

I think it's a great idea to share where good maintenance is performed. It's also a good idea to share some less than stellar performance, but I'd suggest leaving names of these off of a public forum. If you want to know, ask for them in an e-mail or a PM.

I'd disagree--if anything, reports of poor mx are far more valuable when they name names.  They, of course, need to be factual, and if things sound like they don't add up, it's quite sensible for others to ask questions.  But the frequent fear of naming a business with whom one has had a poor experience is very unfortunate.

Quote: danb35

I'd disagree--if anything, reports of poor mx are far more valuable when they name names.  They, of course, need to be factual, and if things sound like they don't add up, it's quite sensible for others to ask questions.  But the frequent fear of naming a business with whom one has had a poor experience is very unfortunate.

I agree that we should hear about our member's experiences, good or bad; but without vindictiveness. I think that virtually everyone here has enough sense to know that no business, MSC or otherwise, can satisfy every customer. I also find that when someone speaks badly about a person/MSC/shop, others that have had good experiences jump in to keep the record straight.

I really feel sorry for the plane owners who are unfairly treated, but I also feel sorry for honest guys who have an unreasonable customer. We all have to  weigh the evidence proffered by each of the posters, including the numbers of the complaints, to make the decision of whether we want to do business with each person/MSC.

We will never know. The only way to know would be for everyone who feels cheated to sue. And even then, sometimes juries get it wrong.

My guess would be that more business owners are honest than not, but this is strictly my opinion. My further speculation would be that since aircraft repair facilities have to depend on a smaller market, than most businesses, they would have to be more careful to not alienate customers than broader marketing businesses. It his is correct, then "Mooney only" places should be even more so. 

This opinion plus a buck or two will get you a cup of coffee most places.

Just my opinion, but 2 of 3 shops are either incompetent, or outright fraudulent.  The odds are probably better among MCS's, but as I understand it alot of shops became MSC's in the early 2000's because they sold a handful of Mooneys and wanted to service them.  I want someone with experience, credentials, and reputation, even if it comes at a monetary cost.  I am extremely picky about who gets to work on my aircraft, it being my butt, and the lives of my families and friends. 

I think such a thread would be a great idea in theory, but there are those I think that will take it to a unethical level.  It could be a real asset especially for those that are just getting established with their new birds as a lot of us already have a shop/mechanic that we are very comfortable with.  However, it seems that the "newbie's" are quick to ask advice on maintenance for their location and perhaps its better to handle it with PM's and let them decide what's fact or fiction behind closed doors?

I guess I have been very fortunate in that I have never really come across what I would call a "bad" shop.  Personally, I think a lot of the time it is a breakdown of communication between the shop/owner when there is a less than desireable experience.  Nothing takes the place of being very direct and complete when stating what you expect from your visit to a maintenance shop and asking for a ballpark budget and if the bill is going north of that figure it needs to be discussed immediately.

I especially love the mechanic type who decide to take a bunch of things apart that you didnt authorize, dont check what you told them to, and put everything back together loose and misrigged.  Then charge you two grand for it.

But he was an experienced and "recommended" mechanic, and expensive as hell, so it was good maintenance by the checklist of requirements.  Alternator post melting off on its first cross country, cowl flap link broken, loose aileron pushrod nuts notwithstanding.

Quote: jetdriven

I especially love the mechanic type who decide to take a bunch of things apart that you didnt authorize, dont check what you told them to, and put everything back together loose and misrigged.  Then charge you two grand for it.

But he was an experienced and "recommended" mechanic, and expensive as hell, so it was good maintenance by the checklist of requirements.  Alternator post melting off on its first cross country, cowl flap link broken, loose aileron pushrod nuts notwithstanding.

Quote: danb35

I disagree, and I'm not sure why it was deleted.  The OP posted his purported experience with Cole, some others posted to say they had also had negative experiences, while yet others said they'd had positive experiences.  I observed that some of his complaints didn't quite seem to add up and/or were lacking necessary detail (and that he'd apparently joined for the sake of complaining about Cole), and mentioned that.  Maybe he was being entirely truthful, maybe he misunderstood some things, maybe he was outright lying--no way to know (certainly not without further discussion), and deleting the thread wasn't the most productive way to address things, IMO.

I have also used Cole in GA, but never again.  After picking up my plane Friday afternoon after 2 weeks of annual inspection, and telling Cole that I had a starting issue when I dropped it off, I successfully flew it out w/no issues.  On the 2nd start that same day, as I engaged the starter, I heard a loud scraping noise.  The sound stopped after I started, so I flew it back to my home airport from Augusta, GA.  That Monday I flew it back over to Cole to find that my starter was falling apart.  Two screws that hold the Prestolite starter together were missing, the 3rd screw was sheared off, the other was halfway in, halfway out.  I was pretty lucky it didn't just drop down in the belly as I was flying.  I was really upset since I just spent $4800 on an annual, and was charged $1000 to diagnose a starting issue that I told him about when I arrived for the annual.  I asked Cole why he didn't see it during my annual inspection that the screws were falling out. His response, "Technically the starter is not an airworthy item, so I don't need to look at it during annual".  I realize that could be true, but if I'm spending $4800 for an annual, I expect any mechanic to look over all components in the engine including the starter for security.  He charged me an additional $300 to remove and install a used Skytech starter that came off of a timed out engine. 

I have had very disappointing experiences also at DLK and would never use them again the 1st year I lived in GA.  DLK disregarded my written and verbal instructions and did what they wanted to do in regards to replacing a starter without consulting me, charged me 10 hours labor listed as MISC on the bill.   When I challenged them as to what the additional $800 was, he couldn't tell me. He said, "20 min here, 10 min there etc".  This was in addition to the regular annual cost.  When I was told the plane was done and ready to fly out, I walked out on the flightline to find that 12 screws were missing from the belly, blue tape coming out of the cowling, a large inspection panel hanging by 1 screw under the left wing, and both round wing tie down rings facing forward, not sideways.  After I get a bill for $5800, I expected better service for sure.  After I walked back into DLK's office, and complained, his response was, "Well I had my Chief Mechanic go over it and he said it was ready".  

During the 1st 10 years of the Mooneys life, it was taken to a MSC in Lancaster, PA, "Henry Weber", and there were NEVER any issues there.  The pricing was fair & never any type of conflicts.  Last year I used the Factory Mooney Service Center in Kerrville, TX.  They were the best!  They kept me in the loop w/all issues...text messages, phone calls, emails.  They were very fair and provided me the best annual I've ever experienced.  Too bad they are in hybernation now.  Before the Mooney, I owned a Piper Warrior for 17 years and never had any issues like I've had with the MSC's in GA.  I have not used Epps for an annual, but have had some minor avionics work done and they treated me well.  

See that's 2 or is it 3 owners who have gotten substandard service at Cole.  Let's here more.  Cole can get on here and defend himself just as Jimmy Garrison did for AAA, but I have a feeling that won't happen.

Or we can all slap each other on the back about how smart we are, and proclaim "caveat emptor" and "airplanes are expensive"