201 Window Modification for M20C

Its a pretty mod and it cuts down the cabin noise, but if it gained me 30knts I wouldn't do it. I like working on my plane and losing those beautiful access panels ain't an option for me. I have spent way to many hours on my back looking up into the dark abyss of the back side of a panel. Besides I like flying, why would I want to get to my destination 5min faster and  lose that time better spent in the air?

Bryan,

Be prepared for the shock when the mechanic tells you it will take longer to install than the SWTA windshield.  I was in the same boat and went with the LASAR version as well.  SWTA is having difficulty with thier windshield supplier wanting a full batch produced which is something like 800 windshields.  Tough to justify right now with the economy like it is.  All told, I think it was something in the neighborhood of 45-50 hours to complete.

Brian

I did the 201 Lasar installation.  If you move various parts, including the brake fuel reservoir and the vacuum pressure regulator you can create a lot of ease of access.  I also did a complete panel modification before the window installation.  The instuments are easy to get to. There is no right answer between the lasar and SWTA, however the Lasar installation does look a lot better and there is no potential for water leaks (I had this problem when water got into my instruments with the old panel access).     

Not wanting to start a thread drift, or cover old ground, but some pluses for the vintage crowd might be: johnson bar, much lower capital value (50% or less?), take off/landing distance performance, easier maintenance access, retro look. For the J: 10 KTAS +, better panel layout, modern streamlined looks, probably better avionics (HSI/AP). The C/E/F vs J debate will run for many years - while good vintage Mooneys can be found below $40-50k am tending to focus on these in my search.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the SWTA 201 WINDOW and it has two triangular access panels that allows for some contorted avionics work Also, I gain access to avionics by taking off the glare  shield and working from  above. My glare shield is attached with snap on fasteners so it is " a snap" to get it out and gain access Check out my pics on the photo section under drpep

Philip

Just curious...  It's obvious there was metal work done around the base of the windscreen, but there doesn't appear to be any around the top.  How is the body reshaped for the new windscreen at the top without messing up the paint?

I am not concerned with the paint so I didn't worry about this. But it did chip some of the paint off in the area that was cut and then drilled for new screws. You really can't tell much from a distance but up close you can. You would have to do touch up paint in this area when done otherwise...but you'd also have the whole new cowl deck!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The 201 windshield mod and new paint make your early 60's bird appear much newer! Just last week I overheard someone refer to our 65E as a  "J" model.  Anyone still flying with the old two piece windshield who has a wad of cash burning a hole in their pocket should consider this mod.