POH Power Table MP

201er

I've been making some recent efforts to look for ways to optimize max speed in my 201. Still can't get close to book numbers.

Then while talking to someone about a speed test flight I did today, he caught on to something. I pointed out that today was a very close to standard sort of day and yet the max MP I was getting came shy of POH power table values. I explained how I was getting 22" MP at 7,500 while the book was giving figures based on 23.6". I originally figured it was just the conditions or I wasn't developing max available MP (even with ram air open).

Well based on the 1" per 1000ft rule of thumb and more specifically looking up a table, I discovered that the POH inflate available MP substantially for the max power settings and that has a bit to do with why I'm not attaining book value speeds. So while standard pressure at 8,000ft should be 22.225 inHG, the Mooney POH gives a 75% power setting based on 23.6" at the same standard temperature of -1C. Where the heck are they getting this number from? How is this supposed to be useful to me when it is inflated over 1.3"?

I checked for other altitudes and the error was not constant so I don't think it is expected boost as the result of ram air. I also looked at power tables for other airplanes and they tend to have a more standard MP value relative to altitude. Anyone know what this is about? Is the error strictly limited to the MP value or are the %power and speeds derived based on that exact MP? Does this mean that 75% is actually impossible above 6,500ft under standard conditions?

My Pre-J book shows 24.5" at 5000 msl [41º = 5C] and 22.5" at 7500 msl [32º = 0C]. I can confirm that at 10,000 msl I show a smidge above 20", and "the book" shows 20.2" so I have no reason to think it's off at lower elevations. Then again, I don't have Ram Air, either. My Book gives performance in 2500' intervals, so I cannot comment on 8000' with any exactness.

If you are well off on MP, I would look for proper Ram Air Door operation and obstructions. How closely does your MP approximate atmospheric prior to engine start? Could be a gage problem, or the transducer, or a leak in the line to your gage.

No, I think my MP and ram air are just fine and the POH is in error. 22.5" sounds about right for 7,500MSL whereas my POH suggests 23.6" for 8,000!!! The MP gauge reads normal pressure when the engine is off on the ground and the ram air gives me the expected .25inHG boost in MP. But to be over 1" off on the book makes a pretty big difference. So what I'd like to know is if everything else is thrown off or just the MP values. Is the plane only producing 70% power at 8000ft as the result of actual MP being 22" rather than 23.6" or do you really get 75% at 8000ft but their MP listings are off? Anyone have additional data to verify this?

No idea how they did the original test but the POH seems to imply that the stock 201 should get 201mph at gross weight and even more near empty. However, it again assumes you'll be doing it below sea level or in the dead of winter!

Can someone explain to me how a Lycoming IO-360 was designed to require 30.2" MP to develop 100% power!? Or is it because of pressure loss in the system that you need 30.2" at the manifold to have 29.92" in the combustion chamber?

post-11991-13468140589192_thumb.jpg

Oh, the benefits of modern engineering! You can get 100% power at sea level and 2700, if you can find the elusive 30.2" MP.

My tables show only 28.0", and at 2700 that yields 99.5% power and 169 MPH at gross. No ram air, either.

You now have an official excuse to visit the beach. Take off and have someone watch the MP gage while you open & close the ram air door in level flight over the water, as low as you feel comfortable and safe. Report back your findings. Enjoy fresh seafood and ocean breezes for the rest of us.

post-54-13468140589699_thumb.jpg

Well I've heard that. But what is the deal with 28" max MP for C and 30.2" for J. Is it just fiddling with the numbers or does the J actually develop higher MP at same altitude/conditions as its predecesors? Does E/F with ram air = J with ram air?

Good question... I think short of testing one example of each with calibrated flight test instruments on the same day I can't answer the question accurately.  This would be a great question for Bill Wheat if anyone can ask him during the homecoming.  It would also be interesting to see several different versions of the C or E/F POH thru the years and see if that max MP number varied.

Don't you guys have Mooney flying groups on this list? I don't know any Mooney fliers in my area so I can't try this, but I'm sure some of you here have flown to the same place in various letters of Mooney? Next time someone is flying a C/E alongside a J for a hamburger, can you guys compare what MP you get with and without ram air at the same altitude? Or is that a contradiction in itself to have a C flying "alongside" a J?

That could be done, but I question the accuracy of 30-45 year old manifold pressure gauges and the integrity of the lines that connect them.  Perhaps Mooney didn't have an accurate instrument when they ran the tests for the J.  If flying in a group, no need to fly alongside since you're looking for max MP.  Just run WOT and report back, but I don't think that will be of much use with dubious instrumentation.  Perhaps if everyone had a modern electronic instrument and a good installation it might have some merit.

Hmm, good point. But can't the amount of error be determined and corrected by noting each plane's engine off MP on the ground (ex plane A has 29"MP on the ground and 22" in cruise and plane B has 28"MP on the ground and 21" in cruise, would really indicate they are equal but off scale slightly)? Or do you think the gage may be inconsistent in a non-linear fashion?

Quote: 201er

Hmm, good point. But can't the amount of error be determined and corrected by noting each plane's engine off MP on the ground (ex plane A has 29"MP on the ground and 22" in cruise and plane B has 28"MP on the ground and 21" in cruise, would really indicate they are equal but off scale slightly)? Or do you think the gage may be inconsistent in a non-linear fashion?