1975 M20C glareshield

6 minutes ago, spectre6573 said:

Gents,

I am looking for glare-shield replacement. Mine has been repaired and gotten bigger over the years and I keep seeing these skinny glare-shields on the newer birds and am looking to possible fit one. 

Anybody gone down this path?

Not I, but if you do come up with a solution, please share. The J glareshield is available on Aircraft Spruce. Maybe you can fabricate one to fit since your model year is a 1975 (like mine). The 1975/76 panels are standard T like the 77 J.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2020 at 5:21 PM, spectre6573 said:

Gents,

I am looking for glare-shield replacement. Mine has been repaired and gotten bigger over the years and I keep seeing these skinny glare-shields on the newer birds and am looking to possible fit one. 

Anybody gone down this path?

On 7/28/2020 at 5:34 PM, Marauder said:

Not I, but if you do come up with a solution, please share. The J glareshield is available on Aircraft Spruce. Maybe you can fabricate one to fit since your model year is a 1975 (like mine). The 1975/76 panels are standard T like the 77 J.

Buy a sheet of this (3/4"): https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/divinycellfoam.php (~$50, or you can have the rest of my sheet of it free)

Use old glareshield as a template to cut out a matching piece from the sheet

Use a heat gun to warp the new glareshield to same shape (this part takes a little patience/trial and error)

Split some tubing (same stuff you use to change your oil) lengthwise and put it on front end of glareshield to give it a rounded edge

Take it to a car upholstery guy and have them cover with whatever you want (or do yourself if you got the skillz).  The guy I found charged me ~$50 labor and materials

It worked out pretty well for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1