Advice On '66E Model

Hi guys,

I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while and have learned so much while I continue the search for my Mooney. I've become very frustrated lately at the lack of good prospective aircraft out there right now. I came across a '66 E model a couple of days ago and wanted to get everyone's opinion on it.

The seller had it listed for $27,000. He was planning on removing all of the radios from it. It has about 100 hours SMOH, GAMI injectors, 100 hours SMOH on 2 blade prop, various 201 speed mods and new glass. To make a long story short, I told the owner that I want the plane with the radios and panel it has in it now. It's a SUPER nice panel: Garmin 530, GNS340, Garmin xl250, Garmin transponder, stec 30 with altitude hold and wsi inflight weather, and a jpi fuel scan. He told me to make him an offer on the plane as it is now.

The big problem with the plane is that it needs a new paint job and interior. It's in annual right now, so he didn't send me very good pics. Anyway, my budget was $40k, which I upted to $45k. I made the guy a low ball offer of $38k assuming there were no major issues and assuming my mechanic OK'ed it. He came back and said that he can't take less than $46k for it. I want to see if I can get him down another 2 grand to help offset the pre-buy and me getting down to KSAN. So, do you guys think the plane is worth $44k-$46k? Even though it's really more than I wanted to spend, I thought I could see if the bank would loan me $50k the help offset the cost of a paint job.

Oh, and I forgot... The thing over-ran the RWY back in 2008 and the wings were substantially damaged according to the NTSB report. Makes me wonder what kind of repair was done. I'd be grateful for any advice!

post-8274-13468140497607_thumb.jpg

post-8274-13468140498195_thumb.jpg

post-8274-13468140498652_thumb.jpg

post-8274-13468140498978_thumb.jpg

Kurt-

I know of this plane. It was for sale when I was shopping last year. Stay far away from it. It's repairs are sub standard. It is a well known bird in the TX Mooney service community. Call Russell at SWTA, he will tell you what he saw when it was in for repairs years ago. In his mind, it is completely unairworthy. The seller seems like a nice guy, he's just stuck with a parts plane that he has wasted a lot of money on. He has this problem because he failed to get a pre-buy IIRC. He trusted the A&P that sold it to him as "fresh out of annual and good to go!" This A & P has a rep in Texas...