You know it's cold when...

Don’t gotta go to work today, it’s closed.  But my little doggie decided today (last night, actually) was a good time to get injured. Gotta take her to the vet. Brrr.

i don’t see what lol the fuss is about. What we’e getting we’ve gotten before. They might break some records in the Great Lakes, but not by much. Every so often we get cold air from Canada nd we freeze.  It’s been happening here since I was a little kid.

• Like 1

There are four good reasons to live in Minneapolis in the winter:

1.  You can get a glass of ice water right out of the tap.

2.  You can lock your car with a glass of water.

3.  You can use your van as a deep freeze.

4.  You can clean up after the dog with a nine iron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 minute ago, Bob - S50 said:

There are four good reasons to live in Minneapolis in the winter:

1.  You can get a glass of ice water right out of the tap.

2.  You can lock your car with a glass of water.

3.  You can use your van as a deep freeze.

4.  You can clean up after the dog with a nine iron.

Who knew what we were missing out on...? :rolleyes:

Just now, N201MKTurbo said:

It only got up to 55 there, how do you survive? I would have to buy a jacket.

Im wearing 3 layers and I dug an old coat out of the attic. Makes me long for that 120 deg I experienced in Peoria AZ a couple of summers ago training a new Acclaim owner.

• Like 1

The coolest part of -40° weather...you have the right to drop the C or F... because at that temperature, they are the same! :)

Saves a whole bunch of typing...

Thanks to ScottD, i’m Getting a better feel for the Skewed T and the logged P... the light came on with that graph.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

The Steingar walked the Vortex!  Walked 3 miles to work this morning through -2 Fahrenheit temperatures.  It was cold.

You Zonies can have your desert.  Gets too damn hot.  If its cold you can always put on another layer (today: long T-shirt, button down shirt, warmest sweater I own crocheted by Mrs. Steingar herself, and believe it or not leather pants [the things are lined and very warm] along with wool socks.  Outerwear includes an elmer-fund style shearing hat, a leather mask from my winter motorcycling days, cortex pants and a vortex jacket, and a nice big wool scarf.  and hiking boots).  Didn't even wear the 12 foot long Dr. Who scarf Mrs. Steingar made me.  Too hot.  Besides, she needs to it take our little stricken doggie outside.  Only problem this morning was the only unprotected part of me, my eyes, kept tearing up in the cold.

Summer in the Zone.  Yeah, good luck with that.

Edited by steingar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, steingar said:

The Steingar walked the Vortex!  Walked 3 miles to work this morning through -2 Fahrenheit temperatures.  It was cold.

You Zonies can have your dessert.  Gets too damn hot.  If its cold you can always put on another layer (today: long T-shirt, button down shirt, warmest sweater I own crocheted by Mrs. Steingar herself, and believe it or not leather pants [the things are lined and very warm] along with wool socks.  Outerwear includes an elmer-fund style shearing hat, a leather mask from my winter motorcycling days, cortex pants and a vortex jacket, and a nice big wool scarf.  and hiking boots).  Didn't even wear the 12 foot long Dr. Who scarf Mrs. Steingar made me.  Too hot.  Besides, she needs to it take our little stricken doggie outside.  Only problem this morning was the only unprotected part of me, my eyes, kept tearing up in the cold.

Summer in the Zone.  Yeah, good luck with that.

I look forward to the summers. I hate the short days. 

Where you live you have to put things on to survive. Here we take things off to survive. We tend towards the natural state. After the apocalypse it will be a lot easier to survive here than there. 

Edited by N201MKTurbo

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:
Where you live you have to put things on to survive. Here we take things off to survive. We tend towards the natural state. After the apocalypse it will be a lot easier to survive here than there. 

I’ll take take clothes off over this. Sorry for the stutter, it's cold here!

b41d71ac539c9c2e069814a176dff0c3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Marauder

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Good luck with getting water after the apocalypse.  Word is most of the Zone is a desert. You guys get it from elsewhere (and in can you're interested, the Colorado River, your source of water, is at historically low levels and getting lower).  Where I live it falls from the sky.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steingar said:

Good luck with getting water after the apocalypse.  Word is most of the Zone is a desert. You guys get it from elsewhere (and in can you're interested, the Colorado River, your source of water, is at historically low levels and getting lower).  Where I live it falls from the sky.

Phoenix is where it is because three major river systems drain through the valley. People have lived here for thousands of years. 

2/3 of the rain and snow melt that falls on the southwest eventually runs through the valley. 

Dont worry about us, we will be fine.

• Like 1

On 1/30/2019 at 10:36 AM, jetdriven said:

we were just in Minneapolis last night and this morning. The temp was -38C at 8000'.  This morning it was too cold for Type 4 deicer fluid. I did the walkaround in the suit coat and it was physically painful.

IMG_7469.jpeg

7DDE7B62-9352-4C81-8783-BA36C6D1169C.JPG

Byron - why in God's name were you doing the exterior inspection in a suit coat???  :-)  I feel your pain just reading that.

Also, on the -900, am guessing you get your PDCs through ACARS as well?

Stay warm.

Steve

3 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Where you live you have to put things on to survive. Here we take things off to survive.

Sorry, Rich, I'll still take the cold.  I can ALWAYS put more clothes on to stay warm.  At some point, though, you're just bare-assed and sunburnt.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Sorry, Rich, I'll still take the cold.  I can ALWAYS put more clothes on to stay warm.  At some point, though, you're just bare-assed and sunburnt.

I guess we will never understand each other. 

I lived in the cold country (Denver) for 7 years and hated every minute of it. I couldn't wait to get back here. It isn't summer until you can ride your motorcycle at midnight in a tee shirt. They never had summer in Denver.

People who move here from up north usually hate the first summer, they get used to it the second summer and if they make it through that they never leave.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 3