Shoulder Harnesses

Dan 61

Hello everyone.  My first question to the group though I have enjoyed reading many of the comments.

I am a proud owner of a 67 F with Johnson Bar gear.  NO shoulder harnesses.  After losing my Attitude Gyro in the junk it got me thinking how my previous attempt at locating shoulder harnesses should be accelerated.  Obviously I got down safe and sound, no thanks to the Avionics shop who royally screwed up the install on some new radios leaving the vacuum line to the AG loose, but it made me remember how quickly things can go wrong.  I would love any and all information/opinions regarding which shoulder harnesses work well and are easy to install in my F.

Thanks in advance for all the wonderful comments I know are forthcoming.

• Like 1

Just now, Dan 61 said:

Hello everyone.  My first question to the group though I have enjoyed reading many of the comments.

I am a proud owner of a 67 F with Johnson Bar gear.  NO shoulder harnesses.  After losing my Attitude Gyro in the junk it got me thinking how my previous attempt at locating shoulder harnesses should be accelerated.  Obviously I got down safe and sound, no thanks to the Avionics shop who royally screwed up the install on some new radios leaving the vacuum line to the AG loose, but it made me remember how quickly things can go wrong.  I would love any and all information/opinions regarding which shoulder harnesses work well and are easy to install in my F.

Don't know the answer but :o  Glad you made it down ok.  That must have been a terrible feeling turning on the standby pump and still having no vacuum :blink:

We installed shoulder harnesses with the inertial reels and push button release. We have a J bar so having the reels was an absolute must. You need some mobility to work the gear and don't want to be re tightening the seat belt while low. The cost....less than an ER visit.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The toughest thing is getting the clamp around the steel tube.  I lucked out the clamps were already there on mine.

If you are already not aware I believe the FAA made adding shoulder harness a minor mod for increase safety.  Maybe some IAs can chime in on this.

43 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

The toughest thing is getting the clamp around the steel tube.  I lucked out the clamps were already there on mine.

If you are already not aware I believe the FAA made adding shoulder harness a minor mod for increase safety.  Maybe some IAs can chime in on this.

It makes sense. Some years back a friend of mine was made to remove his shoulder harnesses because the IA couldn't find the STC filed for it. He later died in that plane and its hard not to wonder if harnesses could have made a difference.

-Robert

1 hour ago, Dan 61 said:

Do it right the first time and install the AMSAFE airbag seatbelt/shoulder harnesses.

21 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

It makes sense. Some years back a friend of mine was made to remove his shoulder harnesses because the IA couldn't find the STC filed for it. He later died in that plane and its hard not to wonder if harnesses could have made a difference.

-Robert

Wow sorry to hear that.

I don't know what is worse the pencil whipping an annual with corrosion like in another thread (if that is the case) or what you you said here.

I'm not sure what I would have done but one could always let the IA tell you to remove the shoulder belts every year.

1 hour ago, Dan 61 said:

Welcome Dan!

Glad you survive the maintenance screw up and are able to post.

Alpha Aviation has an STC’d kit for the Mooney.  The have fixed or inertia reel shoulder belts and also have a push button buckle for the manual gear Mooney.

Clarence

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

Don't know the answer but :o  Glad you made it down ok.  That must have been a terrible feeling turning on the standby pump and still having no vacuum :blink:

Thanks.  No standby pump either though I am in the process now of upgrading to a G5.

I'm in the same boat you are.  I also fly a '67 F with the Johnson bar and lap belts only.  If you want one right away @SantosDumont has one for sale in the classified section for $200.  You'll need the $17.50 hardware kit from Alpha Aviation (http://alphaaviation.com/mooney-minor-change-kit-m20-a-thru-g-and-early-j/)  However, you will have to deal with the unbuckling/knuckle busting that some complain about with the flip lever style belts.  Some say it's an issue, some say slow down and be more careful.

As for new, you have the Alpha Aviation kits: fixed strap ($369) or inertia reel ($489), plus the hardware kit for each side.  You will get different opinions on the fixed strap or inertia reel, but it seems the plurality is for the inertia on the pilot side and fixed strap on the copilot.  That eliminates the need to remove or loosen the strap to reach the J-bar, or more challenging, the fuel selector, when you may be in an impending forced landing situation.  The fixed strap on the copilot side makes ingress and egress to the back seats easier.

The other option available recently is the Hooker Harness custom belts.  There isn't any info online about the Mooney version, but according to @par the price is $417 including shipping for both (plus the hardware kit for each).  Look up the Hooker Harness thread, bottom of second page, for an install photo.  No mention of an inertia reel available, but they show one on their price list for other harnesses.  I will be giving them a call this week for more info, as with lap belts only, I'm living on borrowed time.

Edited by skydvrboy

4 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

Welcome Dan!

Glad you survive the maintenance screw up and are able to post.

Alpha Aviation has an STC’d kit for the Mooney.  The have fixed or inertia reel shoulder belts and also have a push button buckle for the manual gear Mooney.

Clarence

Awesome.  Thanks M20Doc.  I will give them a jingle immediately. 

BTW,  I have a B-5 which still works, though more screw up, the avionics shop did not hook it up to either of my radios.  Works great on heading and manual though.  Loss of the vacuum system due to the loose fitting caused not only the loss of the AI, but also the loss of the A/P.  Am I whining too much or expecting too much from my avionics shop?

6 minutes ago, Dan 61 said:

Thanks kpaul.  Is AMSAFE the manufacturer?  I can look them up and get the info if so.

Yes AMSAFE is the company.

https://www.amsafe.com/airbag-systems/soars/

I corrected the link, they are a bit more expensive then the other options listed above.  $2580

9 minutes ago, skydvrboy said:

I'm in the same boat you are.  I also fly a '67 F with the Johnson bar and lap belts only.  If you want one right away @SantosDumont has one for sale in the classified section for $200.  You'll need the $17.50 hardware kit from Alpha Aviation (http://alphaaviation.com/mooney-minor-change-kit-m20-a-thru-g-and-early-j/)  However, you will have to deal with the unbuckling/knuckle busting that some complain about with the flip lever style belts.  Some say it's an issue, some say slow down and be more careful.

As for new, you have the Alpha Aviation kits: fixed strap ($369) or inertia reel ($489), plus the hardware kit for each side.  You will get different opinions on the fixed strap or inertia reel, but it seems the plurality is for the inertia on the pilot side and fixed strap on the copilot.  That eliminates the need to remove or loosen the strap to reach the J-bar, or more challenging, the fuel selector, when you may be in an impending forced landing situation.  The fixed strap on the copilot side makes ingress and egress to the back seats easier.

The other option available recently is the Hooker Harness custom belts.  There isn't any info online about the Mooney version, but according to @par the price is $417 including shipping for both.  Look up the Hooker Harness thread, bottom of second page, for an install photo.  I will be giving them a call this week for more info, as with lap belts only, I'm living on borrowed time.

Excellent info skydvrboy.  I will check out the classifieds later this eve.  I have a daughter who also wants to learn to fly, probably become a professional pilot, so I am buying her a 172 to learn in.  Consequently, cheaper options are better for me right now.  I did see the Hooker Harness ad prior to submitting here but I did not pay close attention.  I will re-visit their site to determine the viability of that system.

11 minutes ago, kpaul said:

Yes AMSAFE is the company.

https://www.amsafe.com/airbag-systems/soars/

I corrected the link, they are a bit more expensive then the other options listed above.  $2580

Thanks for the quick follow-up.  Kinda spendy but I do like the sound of the system.  If you do go down, at least somewhat under control, you have a much higher likelihood of survival with a system like that I would think.

2 minutes ago, Dan 61 said:

I will re-visit their site to determine the viability of that system.

You won't find anything, I've already checked.  Par had them custom make his, so they would still have the plans and all, but as I understand, they only build them on request, not a catalog item.

18 minutes ago, Dan 61 said:

Awesome.  Thanks M20Doc.  I will give them a jingle immediately. 

BTW,  I have a B-5 which still works, though more screw up, the avionics shop did not hook it up to either of my radios.  Works great on heading and manual though.  Loss of the vacuum system due to the loose fitting caused not only the loss of the AI, but also the loss of the A/P.  Am I whining too much or expecting too much from my avionics shop?

Mistakes do and will happen.  I would sit down with the shop owner/ Director of Maintenance and have a calm discussion.  They should be checking/ redoing their work at very least.

Clarence