mooney search / scam?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote: rturbett

Skywarrior, have you spoken to the real Randall Sims? I am sure he is aware, but it would be good to be sure. I know Trade a plane was contacting him as well. If you have his number, please feel free to pm me.

thanks,

Rob

He may now know that he was taken for a ride, but you have to love the thought of the fact that, if only for a brief period of time, he probably was already counting the money.  He probably swallowed the hook, line, and sinker.  Heck, he may have already started spending some of the money.  Imagine his let down when he figured out that he was the one now being scammed!  Sweeeeeeet!

I had a similiar transaction dealing with a guy trying to buy my motorcycle a couple years ago.  It seemed too good to be true.  He was sending a check in the mail "overnight".  I waited and no check arrived.  I contacted him and told him that it never arrived.  Which truthfully it never did.  So he sent another overnight package and this time it arrived.  I had him send it to my office so he wouldn't have my home address.  The package showed up.  I was thinking I could nail this prick so I contacted my friends brother who is a State Police officer here in Vermont.  "Nope, not interested in interstate fraud".  I was like "WHAT!".  I've got this guys finger prints, his mailing address, FedEx has his credit card or at least some kind of ID on this guy plus all the emails going back and forth.  Apparently $3500 of fraud doesn't mean as much as it used to.  And now we've got a $24,000 airplane that also isn't worth it.  Then what are we paying these guys for?

Needless to say I wasted a lot of this guys time and money.  Hopefully that alone deterred him a little bit!  Just like what you are doing this prick!  Good job.  Keep it up.  Sounds like you've got him on the hook.

sent this to him today- if he is even listening

Randall,

I confirmed with the bank that they received the $24,000 today and deposited it in your account. It will be posted tonight and show up on your electronic statement tomorrow.  Please let me know when you confirm it and make arrangements to ship the aircraft.

Rob Turbett

Rob-

I read the entire story posted by Magnum about the Powerbook prank. It was fun to read and it's cool that somebody got back at a criminal, but the most telling feature of the story was the prolog. In the end the criminal responded by first sending him a virus, then cyber attacking his website, finally... ? This is what the author of the website that hosts the story wrote at the end-

"3) Finally, and most disturbingly, Jeff was not heard from again. I personally e-mailed him for permission to run his story on ZUG, but after an initial response, I never heard from him again. All of his Web sites have come down, and he is nowhere to be found."

Before you continue to play with this guy any further, first think of all the factual information this guy has on you, then put this info into Google and see what comes up. Most people (myself included) have way too much personal info out in the ether. Remember, they are criminals and don't play by the same rules we do.

• 3 months later...

I am a student pilot and lookin for my 1st plane.  I saw this ad and asked for information.  It has been about a week or 2 for the reply.  I wanted to know what this guy did in the Navy and on a Google search I fould this website.  Here is a copy of the email reply I received:

Hi,

Sorry for the late response but I work in the US Navy and it's very hard
for me to reply faster. I wanted to let you know that the 1966 Mooney
M20c is still available, i had a buyer but his loan did not get
approved. The final price is $23,000, so if you are still interested
please let me know ASAP.

The plane was left to me by my father after he passed away from cancer
last year. At this time the plane is in Grand Island, NY in hangar on a
private residence, where my father lived. If you're not able to come
pick this up, we can use Amazon Payments service to handle this deal.
Let me know if you have any questions, for some reasons your previous
email did not load on my screen.

Thank you,
Wing Mark,
PO3, NAVY ,U.S. 6th Fleet Det.
DSN 251-7831

There is a different name on some of the other posts so if this is not real I wanted to add to the forum of information.  Happy flying.

[1] Get N Number.  Do your research...

[2] Look at Grand Island, NY on a Map.  Look for a runway in this tiny island community in the Niagara River.

There is a small grass field on Grand Island....<2,000 ft long (awfully tight for a Mooney)

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?encType=1&where1=Grand+Island%2c+New+York&cp=43.022739~-78.965752&FORM=ATRCCN

[3] Use your logic, if it seems to good to be true....N# does not correlate,  ........

[4] Does anyone really buy a plane and "pick it up"?

Good informative post.

Best regards,

-a-

Piperpainter goes places I won't willingly follow . . . That's all part of the joys of ownership and being PIC!

I followed the link to the island, zoomed in and scrolled around, never saw the field. The one I use here is sort-of open on one end [a runway-width slot in the trees], and has a cement factory with gravel pile at the other end. Robert Newlon Field, I41. Just lost a jump plane into the gravel pile a couple of months ago, should be on-line without photos.

Any idea where the "little grass strip" is on the little island in NY?

Nice! Short field, one small hangar, and a house right at the end! It looks perfect for a Cub, Champ, Super Cub, etc., but less-than-optimal for a Mooney.

If this is the same ad referenced back in April from the suspected fake-military-scammer, then it's definitely a set-up. He just found a small, out-of-the way airport to claim being based out of.

Scammers......sometimes so entertaining!!!..I had a model jetengine for sale on one of the model forums.Guy from colombia says he wants engine and sends me a cashiers check for 15000 usd.Engine was less than a third of that ...he says to send him the change!!!!The check is done on a color copier ,looks ok,but is minus the security features..watermark,lines in the paper,security holo..etc.I decided to string the guy out by claiming to have shipped the engine to the wrong address.I had him going to different businesses at opposite ends of town to "pickup"his treasure!!!I still have the check...I called the bank the check was drawn on and security didnt care!!!...I had fun with the guy  for a while...caveat emptor..kpc

So all these posts are confusing me.  There appear to be more than 1 person selling this aircraft.  One search said there was a wheels up landing and another one said no problemm.  The FAA site did not give any info I could use; but still a student.

He did not answer the question on my email about is it '..in a box...' see below.

I guess if I cannot see and go for a test flight I personally would question what I am buying.  I have never bought a used car at night.

Hi,

We are in a mission in Red Sea until 1st
November and i can't meet you to do the deal in person.That's why I insist to use Amazon Payments for this deal and not send the money directly to me. You will have 7 days for inspection in this time you can check everything about the plane and papers, and if the plane have some problems or is not as i told you, you can ask for refund and you will receive your money back and me, i will need to pay for the shipping back, but don't worry the Mooney is in perfect condition.

Here is how it works if you have never used Amazon Payments.

You send me your full name and your shipping address so I can initiate the transaction on Amazon Payments.They contacts you with further details regarding the payment and shipping process. You submit the payment to them, Amazon Payments confirms the payment and asks me to release the shipment.I ship the plane which should be at your door within the next 5-10 business days (i will tell you exactly when i will have your address,the shipping is free).You have a 7 days inspection period before you confirm the deal and Amazon Payments forwards the payment to me or you cancel the deal and you get your money back and return the plane free of charge.

Basically Amazon Payments holds your money safe until you confirm that the plane is what you have expected and you want to buy it. It is not a sight unseen deal.  On the other hand I can ship the plane knowing Amazon Payments has your money and you wont disappear with my plane. We are both covered.

Sorry for the long emails I have tried to touch all bases.

Thank you,
Wing Mark,
PO3, NAVY ,U.S. 6th Fleet Det.
DSN 251-7831

On 7/26/2011 9:27 PM, mail@ericschneider.me wrote:

I am confused by the uShip thing.  I would expect to to a walk around, a test flight and then fly it home.  Is it in a box? 

E

Eric,

Take Ned's advice.  Your letter writer is not who he says he is.

The situation is not adding up.  You wouldn't buy a used car at night, nor would you go see a plane without a dozen recent photos either.  If you want to continue to bait the thief, request a copy of the log books.

Otherwise, consider yourself lucky to not fall for this wild hallucination.

Best regards,

-a-