Minor Hail Damage

So I wanted to revive this thread.  As I pointed out above we were at T82 at the same time this plane was.  We thought we were free from hail damage but after a good wash and wax and the right sunlight, its clear our elevators and ailerons are damaged.  Now we are debating what to do.  This is our first year of airplane ownership - what will a claim against our insurance in our very first year as insured (its a no deductible policy, not by choice, but that's just what they offered to us) do to our future rates?  What will the effects of deferring this mostly cosmetic work be?  (In a couple years when we repaint the plane and want to deal with it then, will there be no ailerons/elevators available at any price from defunct Mooney?)

Anyway, thoughts from the more experienced owners in the forum would be appreciated.

An update on my situation.  I did file an insurance claim.  My Mooney Service Center was able to get new ailerons from the factory and they will be installed next week.    I do not know how it will effect my insurance rates in the future.  After I filed the claim my policy was up for renewal and rates rose about 200 a year.  No too bad considering a lot of claims were probably filed from the  Sun and Fun storm.

Quote: Becca

So I wanted to revive this thread.  As I pointed out above we were at T82 at the same time this plane was.  We thought we were free from hail damage but after a good wash and wax and the right sunlight, its clear our elevators and ailerons are damaged.  Now we are debating what to do.  This is our first year of airplane ownership - what will a claim against our insurance in our very first year as insured (its a no deductible policy, not by choice, but that's just what they offered to us) do to our future rates?  What will the effects of deferring this mostly cosmetic work be?  (In a couple years when we repaint the plane and want to deal with it then, will there be no ailerons/elevators available at any price from defunct Mooney?)

Anyway, thoughts from the more experienced owners in the forum would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

So, the latest (reviving the thread again), apparently there are no more M20J ailerons, elevators, or flaps at the factory and no plans to build more.  Thoughts on how to repair hail damage in this brave new world of no factory support? 

Quote: N4352H

Your old stuff can be reskinned and it will just be a pain in the butt....unless you really luck out. It's hard to get it right w/o factory jigs. On non control surfaces, maybe bondo filler (knowing it will be removed at next paint). Try the salvage market. It usually turns up empty and if somebody has control surfaces, they know what they are worth.

My 69F has some hail damage on the ailerons to. I was at Artcraft Paining in Santa Maraia CA. They inspected the plane and said that the ailerons could be bondo'd and repaired.  I have had some A&P say no bondo and others say it is ok. They must be balanced again though.

Ron

i can go with a proper polyester aircraft grade filler on the wings, or fuselage, but not on the control surfaces.  Besides, they are dead flat, and would be almost impossible to fill wthout noticing.

Quote: N4352H

Your old stuff can be reskinned and it will just be a pain in the butt....unless you really luck out. It's hard to get it right w/o factory jigs. On non control surfaces, maybe bondo filler (knowing it will be removed at next paint). Try the salvage market. It usually turns up empty and if somebody has control surfaces, they know what they are worth.

From Barnstormers...No affiliation

MOONEY CONTROL SURFACESFOR SALEAilerons, Flaps, Elevators, removed from salvage airplanes, call your needs. • Contact Glenn Crabtree - CRABTREE AIRCRAFT COMPANY, INC. located Guthrie, OK USA • Telephone: 405-282-4250 405-306-7243 • Fax: 405-282-3130 • Posted May 20, 2011 Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This AdFinance

• 4 weeks later...

Update on my Ovation 3.   After 6 weeks in East Texas, I finally flew N73GX home yesterday.  When I purchased my bird 4 years ago, I requested all metallic paint knowing that touch ups would be hard to match.  The new ailerons had to be repainted 3 times to get a near perfect match.  Although the quality of the paint job on the ailersons was not as good as the original paint job, only a "picky eye" like mine would know.  Overall I am happy with the work done.  I decided to use Don Maxwell in Longview.  I have used Don's shop in the past and he knows how picky I am, so he would not release the plane to me until he got a good match.  We had to use 2 paint shops to get the match right.    The airlerons that we used were factory new taken from one of the aircraft that is sittling partially done on the assembly line.  Don said that there are no more new airlerons for the M20 series.  I would assume that the ailerons used on the Ovations are the same as all the long body style Mooneys.   Hopefully the factory will re-open to begin fabricating new parts such as ailerns that are prone to hangar rash and hail damage.   Don is a great source of information for parts and was able to get ahold of the ailerons quickly for me.