Can I make a Mooney fit my profile?

It's very rare I ever see anyone who does 75% family mission. Many intend to, but don't. My 201 was great when I bought it 13 years ago, I had a 32 inch waste and I only had two small children. 2 more kids later and 7 inches added to my waist....well.......

As long as you don't exceed 4 people, the Mooney can do just about everything you wish. While the Mooney is just a better made airplane and a safer airplane, if your mission really is as you have laid out.........save yourself regret, hassle and time...........find a suitable 210, A36 or Saratoga.

I revised my mission to exclude family travel and I kept my 201, becasue it's just a better airplane.

Even my C will do most of these requirements. Last summer I put four adult males and 34 gallons of fuel and flew up the OUter Banks to Kitty Hawk, then hopped over the sound for gas. Trip length was 180 nm out on the scenic route, 125 nm back direct. No problem, but the guys in the back were a little cramped. Any mid-body should be able to do the same, I would think. The 400 nm trip with 4 big guys will probably require a fuel stop unless you fly high and slow, but nobody buys a Mooney to fly slow. Max range is in the vicinity of Best Glide Speed, which is 105 mph [= 90 knots] for my short-body; no thank you! Even Optimal Cruise = Best Glide Speed x 1.316 is too slow [138 mph = 120 knots for me]. But at least you can play with the numbers, as the formulas are very close across types. These are the Carson speeds.

My 1990 M20J-AT was 1035 lbs useful with a heavy Kelly starter but modern avionics and no autopilot.  However it had a max takeoff weight of 2900 lb instead of 2740.  At max weight hot and humid in Texas (105 dF and afternoon t-storms) it would fly, but not more than about 500-600'/min climbing.

The light starter would have shaved an additional 10 pounds.  Other advantages over the MSE included not having electric cowl flaps.