Broken Oil Ring

Has anyone experienced broken oil rings in their IO360-A1A?  I had been having high oil consumption and my mechanic helped me remove the cylinders yesterday.  2 of them had broken rings.  The oil ring on one was broken into about 8 pieces and the compression ring on another had a piece about 1/2 long broken off.  The cylinders had about 4200hrs on them with the last overhaul being about 800 hrs ago, so I have nothing to complain about.  I am replacing all 4 of them with a set of low time cylinders that are still within factory new limits.

Quote: N601RX

Has anyone experienced broken oil rings in their IO360-A1A?  I had been having high oil consumption and my mechanic helped me remove the cylinders yesterday.  2 of them had broken rings.  The oil ring on one was broken into about 8 pieces and the compression ring on another had a piece about 1/2 long broken off.  The cylinders had about 4200hrs on them with the last overhaul being about 800 hrs ago, so I have nothing to complain about.  I am replacing all 4 of them with a set of low time cylinders that are still within factory new limits.

I had a broken oil ring.  I think it was related to the cermachrome cylinder problem.  You could see and feel a definite ridge on the walls at the top of the stroke.  My compression test went way down on that cylinder.  What happened with compression on your cylinders and what was the cylinder wall treatment, if any??

I wound up replacing all four cermachrome cylinders within 800 hours.  Too bad as I had paid for porting and balancing.  I went back with cerminil.  About 1000 hours later, compressions are holding fine, but oil usage has been pretty high right from the start with the cerminil.