M20E Windscreen Mod

Dingo

G’day Guys

I wondering if can pick a few members brains?

I recently read a article on the web about the 201 style windscreen mod on a E model, where it was mentioned that the one of the advantages was that it increased the airflow through the over head vents (wondering if anyone can give me the before and after low down on mod, pro’s and con’s)

I rebuilt my E model 8 years ago from head to toe and opted to leave all mods alone and certainly for the access to the instrument panel.

Though at the drop of a had I’d do the Windscreen mod if in fact it increased a bit of air around my head, Australian summers and an early Mooney were not designed hand in hand

Secondly has anyone had anything to do with the LoPresti Cowl for the E model

Cheers and G’day from Down Under

Darren

Also very interested in doing the Southwest Texas 201 windshield mod on my 70 M20C and would also be interested to know if others have noted an increase in ventilation in the cabin.  Also, what happens to the plastic trim up top on the ceiling after the sheet metal above the windshield is cut out?  Pics would be most appreciated.  Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't have a before basis on the air flow, but I get great flow as is after the install (I did the mod before I picked up the plane when I bought it).  I usually leave mine in the closed position while my wife and son leave theirs open in the back and never complain about it being to weak. I also have the eyeballs and center counsel vents for the front seaters.  Lots of air moving in the cabin if so desired.

I installed the LASAR 201 windshield and there is a big difference between theirs and SWTAs version.  The lower brackets are noticeably thicker and more stout on the LASAR version.  The instrument access is a minus, but I've never had the avionics shop complain.  I redid the panel after I had the windshield installed.

Photos from the install are on my website: http://www.67m20e.com/201_windshield_upgrade.htm

Hope this helps.

Brian

I had SWTA install their windshield mod about 94.  Attached are photos of Port Exterior and the Interior trim.  They supply a piece of plastic to cover the steel tube just behind the windshield.  I covered the raw edge of the ceiling plastic with locally procured, slide on, plastic edging.  I would not let someone do this mod who had not done it before.  Triming and fitting the exterior metal looks tricky to me.  The side access on each side is useful.  I use 3M black goop strips to seal mine.  The panels let you check the brake fluid and change the vac garter filter (need small hands).  It also makes the back of the ignition switch easily accessible and generally give additional access to some tightly packed but critical territory.  I understand that later  replacement windshields may have to come through SWTA, but that does not happen often.

post-6725-13468139279838_thumb.jpg

post-6725-13468139284567_thumb.jpg

The LASAR install took about 10 days (~45 hours).  A dedicated shop may do it in a shorter amount of days with the same hours.  The A&P I had do it is an American Airlines mechanic that works on Mooney's as a side business so the extra couple of days saved me big time on the install labor.  The hydraulic resevoir is moved to the rear with the LASAR install so that's a non issue.

Anyone know if SWTA got the glass back in stock?  They were out for more than a year and didn't have the kits available when I did mine, thus LASAR was the only choice.

Brian

Hey Guys

Thanks for the input, but still really looking for anyone with the experience with before and after with this mod, my main interest is in the airflow, as I think it’ll be a big trade off between the access to the instrument panel and airflow (airflow being the biggie for me)

Cheers

Darren

For me, and this is strictly my opinion based on my experience with the stock E model windscreen vs. the R model wind screen, I do value the E model radio/instrument access panel.   I enjoy having full and wide open access to the top of the instrument panel.  It makes life much, much easier.