FAQ

Yetti

As usual always being the odd duck in the room my first ride was an Opel GT that I modified that crap out of raced it in SCCA solo 2 and did quite well drove it all over the western states and was actually pretty reliable. Always have had smaller cars low to the ground is the only way to go.

• Like 1

Flashbacks, i had 73 Opel GT Weber carb, headers, other mods i think from c and r out east. Always wanted to do the SCCA thing, but folks frowned upon it. Lots of bloody knuckles with that car changing out TO bearing and clutch plate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bonal said:

As usual always being the odd duck in the room my first ride was an Opel GT that I modified that crap out of raced it in SCCA solo 2 and did quite well drove it all over the western states and was actually pretty reliable. Always have had smaller cars low to the ground is the only way to go.

I don't think we were mocking German cars. Now Lucas and the British cars or the '50s and '60s... we did mock. But we loved them in a perverse way/

My current roadster is a Chrysler/Mercedes Crossfire. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, bonal said:

I liked the look of the Opals the best, Call me odd also. :)

• Like 1

At the same time my friends and I were all about road handling we had 3 Mini's a Datsun 510 a Fiat 124 spider my brother had a Sprite (not bug eye) with the 1275 that car was actually very reliable. I would like to design a crossover manifold and run a pair of 45 DCOE's on my o360. Great times

the other side of the fence were our friends that had hopped up 60's mustangs also set up as road handling cars. One guy dropped a 289 with Algon fuel injection into an AH 3000 he designed an manufactured his own AC Cobra style headers to side pipes that were truly works of art.

I know I'm not helping with the topic derailment, but on a very obscure Mooney related note, my mini 850s (one to drive and one for parts) had a very simple suspension. 

The "spring" was just a cone of rubber with no shock absorber. Not much maintenance required other than replacement every bunch of years.  Sound familiar?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

In 1967 I traded my Austin Healey Sprite in for a MGB GT. We had our first baby on the way, but I felt like the 2 year old Sprite was just about worn out. It had 20,000 miles on it. The poor little sewing machine motor turned about 4000 RPM to go over 60. At least that's my memory

I seem to recall that was the US dot approved massive front bumpers Mgb. 

-Robert

10 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I don't think we were mocking German cars. Now Lucas and the British cars or the '50s and '60s... we did mock. But we loved them in a perverse way/

My current roadster is a Chrysler/Mercedes Crossfire. 

Mine is a Chevy Suburban.  I have had four of them starting in 1983.  They don't quite have the feel of the MGA but they work alot better in the Minnesota winters.

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:17 PM, Oldguy said:

Can I fit in a Mooney? They seem awfully small. - Several owners on the forum are 6'5" and over. Tallest I know of is 6'9", but I am trying to get a 7'4" friend of mine to take a ride just to see if he fits.

Shaq?

Before this thread quickly went off topic, I was thinking a FAQ would be nice:

Hot starting the Lycoming IO360

Tips for better landings

Tank reseal (and bladders)

Landing actuator backspring

in addition to a summary answer, links to past threads....

Current SOP is to tell the user to use search function to try to find a thread....

1 minute ago, teejayevans said:

A thread is probably a bad way to do it, need a mooney-wiki format where the community can edit it.

A wiki might be a disaster as the tank/bladder, LOP, takeoff flaps, and jacking techniques get changed back and forth repeatedly. :o