Retractable Step

crxcte

I second the don't do it crowd. 

Yes, I've torn a few pair of jeans working to get baggage in and out, but it is worth it for anyone that has trouble with the first step up on the wing to avoid the flaps.  I'm tall enough that I could do it, but my wife and kids wouldn't be able to as easily.  It's not more than a pound of extra weight.

Brian

I also support the "leave-it-on" chorus here.  I know that the rubber boot and the spring parts are unique to this retractable step, but it is an elegantly simple solution that works for this engineer.

Up in flight and down when the engine stops.  What a concept!

Thanks for the info.  You never can see the retractable step retrack.  I pushed the step up inside and noticed the contour was a little ruff on the outside.  I use the step all the time and would need something to get in the plane with.  I think the weight is higher than expected, I'm guessing between 5-10 lbs.  Mine is vacuum driven.  A friend of mine owns a ~65 Mooney C and his is hand crank up.  He explained that leaving down cost him about 5 mph.  Another bug in this step is the opening it retracts into.  When the plane is sitting the opening would allow birds or other animals inside.  I'm not in a habit of opening the battery door up and inspecting the tail before flight but did notice in my last annual that birds had been in.  I now have a towel covering the hole.  Need a way to retrack the step while in the hanger but pushing it up to cover the hole requires opening the battery door.  

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at this problem as well.  I believe removing the step and its system is about 7-9 lbs.  I have not weighed the step itself as of yet but having had it out I am expect it to be about 4-5 lbs at least.   I think the step is needed for safety getting on/off the wing.

I am considering remaking the step from other materials, either aluminum or carbon fiber.  Corbon fiber can be structually compatible and can be purchased in square tubes.  With this arrangement, you might be able to eliminate the spring that raises the step sine weight would be much less. 

Does anyone have any experience in making structural parts from carbon fiber?  My e-mail is johnabreda@yahoo.com

John Breda 

The step does not make for an aerodynamic design when retracted.  When extended the step leaves a big open hole that about anything could crawl up inside the tail.  It would be nice if the step could manually be retracted in the hanger. Weight is always a big deal for me since I'm fully loaded with 4 passengers.   

Step was gone and I didnt even know it came with one till I helped with the first annual. That being said I have a small plastic stool that stays in the hangar in the proper position for entry. I dont really need it so I just leave it in the floor and when I push back into place the stool and the tape on the floor guides me to park in exactly the same spot everytime. One thing I have seen is what critters do to an airplane and I wouldnt take any chances on having any critters in my plane, saw a mooney that had to have wing replaced because of a rat's nest/urine against the mainspar. I'd rather have the lightweight plastic stool than the step. Stool doesnt take away any vacuum either. Finally have VFR weather today so I'm gonna get my chores done and put some lead into the environment. Shame on me! lol

Quote: jbreda

I have been looking at this problem as well.  I believe removing the step and its system is about 7-9 lbs.  I have not weighed the step itself as of yet but having had it out I am expect it to be about 4-5 lbs at least.   I think the step is needed for safety getting on/off the wing.

I am considering remaking the step from other materials, either aluminum or carbon fiber.  Corbon fiber can be structually compatible and can be purchased in square tubes.  With this arrangement, you might be able to eliminate the spring that raises the step sine weight would be much less. 

Does anyone have any experience in making structural parts from carbon fiber?  My e-mail is johnabreda@yahoo.com

John Breda 

The previous custodian of my 66 E had the step removed.  I have the step and can tell you it weighs about 4-5 lbs.

I use a folding, plastic stool when passengers need a step to get in and out of the airplane.  I do not use the step myself.

I have discussed with my A&P about getting the step re-installed.  It is such a good design that it makes sense for it to be there.

I love my retractable step, or at least the idea of it. When I was looking at Mooneys to buy, I looked at some that had no step and while they were the lightest and cleanest, they were harder to get into, but OK for me. People with with short legs will need some sort of assistance. I looked at some that had fixed steps and thought what a shame they were when people are spending good money to put things like gap seals and tail fairings on when there was this thing hanging out there in the wind. The retractable step seems like a great compromise between utility and speed.

I checked the operation of my step during my pre buy by having my friend watch the step as we ran the plane up. Since then, I have no idea if it's really going up and down or not. I'm not sure if I would notice the difference flying or not. Does it really retract all the way? Is there a way to test the step? I thought briefly about installing a switch that woud trigger an annunciator on my upcoming MVP-50, but thought that was just too anal and probably a FAA reg nightmare. I love my step, but I also haven't had to pay to fix it yet either.

My step is retractable via a crank in the cockpit, about where the manual gear retract crank is located in electric gear Mooneys.  It's great because I can retract it whenever I want, regardless of when the engine is running or the landing gear is up or down.  It is connected with a cable.

Though I must confess, I forget to raise/lower it about 25% of the time...

• 2 weeks later...

I too have the retractable step and love the simplicity of it.  I did have to replace the tubing to is as mine was deteriorating (found two annuals ago).  Relatively minimal work...  The easiest way to check if it is retracting is to simply to start up and have someone watch it before climbing in the plane (please no comments about climbing into an aircraft while it is running, I understand the issues, however have been doing this for some time, just be extra careful when you do it...).  I can not understand why Mooney stopped using this design.  It is simple, easy to maintain, adds a few MPH, and weighs little.  I guess that is why they call it progress?

It looks like there were two different styles of steps on the retractable aircraft.  I have a '66 and had some damage on the horizontal tube for my step so bought a replacement on ebay and had it powder coated...step was NOT the same as on my aircraft so the closure piece didn't fit...anyway, bought another "matching" step on ebay and had that one also powder coated and am going to install on my plane.  I have a nice powder-coated (in chrome) step available for purchase.  I paid $75 for step and $110 to powder coat.  Looks like new...I will sell for $150.  Will be listing on Ebay if no interest...I also have hardware (attach and pulley) and will include with the step.

Scott

• 1 year later...

Be careful cleaning the spring. It has a tendency of winding itself up terribly. Cleaning it is good, letting it wind up out of control is bad.

Clean and lubricate makes good sense. Raising the step while the spring doesn't recoil allows for the evil to present itself.

Sorry I can't explain what to do, or what to avoid, but hopefully gets you going in the right direction.

Overall, you can do it. It is the right thing to do. Just be careful to avoid ruining the spring....

Best regards,

-a-