What type of Flaps does a J have

I was just reading about all the different type of flaps when it occurred to me I didn't know what my own bird has. I looked carefully, the flaps on my M20J look like slotted, but slot is pretty small, could be plain flaps...

Anyone know with certainty if they are plain out slotted?

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was just reading about all the different type of flaps when it occurred to me I didn't know what my own bird has. I looked carefully, the flaps on my M20J look like slotted, but slot is pretty small, could be plain flaps...

Anyone know with certainty if they are plain out slotted?

Thanks.

Plain OR slotted?

Well, Wikipedia may be right, although I couldn't find anything in either the POH or the Type Certificate that specified what type of flaps they are. I guess I didn't think there was enough of a gap to call them true slotted flaps but perhaps there is.

Instructor told me slotted flaps usually have the biggest impact on flight attitude when deployed, sounds a lot like my Mooney. Trim, trim, trim

At least they make you trim in the right direction ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It seems to me the gap seals would make them plain

Wiki is for all M20s not M20J.  I don't know what the J models flap gap seals look like, but this is what an F looks like with its flaps fully deployed.

There is no question that they are slotted.

post-8069-0-97700000-1436812122_thumb.jp

post-8069-0-93658300-1436812138_thumb.jp

post-8069-0-15012300-1436812161_thumb.jp

• Like 1

This isn't the best picture, but it looks like the gap seals eliminates most if not all the slot. Perhaps someone has a better picture of a J model with the flaps fully deployed.  I purchased a set a while back but have not got around to installing them yet, but did some trial fitting and don't remember seeing much if any gap with them down.  The bottom rear part of the wing that is shaped to feed air to the top of the flap is squared off and boxed in by the gap seals.

post-7624-0-87073600-1436813515_thumb.gi

Wouldn't slotted flaps move back and down on a double set of rollers like my Comanche? Whereas the Mooney flap is single acting on one hinge point.

Clarence

You're thinking of Fowler Flaps, which is a subset of Slotted Flaps.  The displaced single hinge is typical of slotted flaps.  Simple flaps would have a hinge within the airfoil section that simply droops the flap element, vs. rotating aft & down.

• Like 2