flaking plastic around windshield

Does this happen to be a common problem? We have some cracks in the plastic around the windscreen, it's unsightly but I don't know who to see about it, I'm assuming that whole piece would need to be replaced.

I forgot to get closeup pics but it's right around the circled area.

post-11903-0-85301900-1436394197_thumb.j

I'm thinking you mean on the outside vs the inside. However, I don't think the outside is plastic. Edges near windscreens are common problem for all aircraft. It's the expansion rates between the different materials in the glass, metal, and paint. Most paint shops should be able to address the stress cracks. It will most likely reappear if it's not taken all the way down to the bare metal, or fiberglass.

Sand it all the way down to the bare material, fill as required possibly with more flex in the filler and paint.

-Matt

On the outside I doubt very much this is either plastic or fiberglass.  You could purchase new aluminum parts and back/match drill but it would be a real pain in the aXX.  Fiberglass could be patched if it is indeed fiberglass.  Repair of plastic would most likely break/crack again if it is plastic.  Some plastics can be cut in small pieces and dissolved in MEK.  You then use the thick slurry to melt/weld the old plastic together.

John Breda

I saw one of their windshields that they had filled in over the retaining strip.  I felt sorry for anyone who ever had to change out the window.  It was pretty thick and the rivets were buried under the filler.  It  would have had to been chiseled off by hand to change the window.  Not to mention the repainting.

How far away is your nearest MSC?

Mooney has made some parts from resin/fiberglass.

Wing tips and cowls come to mind.

There is no glass fiber in your photos.

Can you confirm the year and model of your plane?

Best regards,

-a-

+1 check your logs for maintenance in that area...

How far away is your nearest MSC?

Mooney has made some parts from resin/fiberglass.

Wing tips and cowls come to mind.

There is no glass fiber in your photos.

Can you confirm the year and model of your plane?

Best regards,

-a-

+1 check your logs for maintenance in that area...

it's a 1980 /K

the cowl is definitely glass or resin, I suspect this is some kind of resin also. I'll dig through the logs. It wasn't painted all that long ago so it shouldn't be hard to find.

Whatever it is does cover the rivets, it's completely smooth around the windshield.

Intresting!! That looks like High Speed Aerodynamic Filler. Lol.

At work, our CJ looked like that before we refinished it. It was nasty around the cabin door and windscreens where Cessna loaded the filler on. The new fillers are pretty good for most under 1/16". That looks pretty thick.

-Matt

I'm betting filler - I don't see any rivets - the true test is whether you can see into the cabin through the crack or if there's aluminum under there. 

no, there's something there. Guess that's why the MSC didn't care about it at annual.

peevee,

I also have a 1980 K model and that piece on mine is a strip of aluminum with flush rivets visible in the paint.

Dave

well, now I'm even more confused.

Maybe I'll meet another 231 somewhere and look at theirs and see I guess. Or just fly it and not worry. Probably the latter, it's cheapest. :D

It is bondo just like Mike said. No question about it. Some of the more infamous mod shops used to love that stuff and glob it on. Looks pretty at first. A real pain in the arse down range. It is not an airworthiness issue, if that is any consolation. It did not come from the factory that way. That, I am sure of.

It's some kind of plastic, but I don't think it's bondo, it's brown

The bondo brand is reddish brown color, but there are other brands that are different colors. Some just refer to them generically as Bondo regardless of the manufacturer. Google lightweight body filler and you will find several manufactures.