Beautiful '67 F up on Ebay...

It's NOT a J.  I think that is about right.  My compressions (400 hours since major) vary from year to year at annual.  If you add every knot that all speed mods are supposed to add you would be 200 knots in cruise....J's DON'T do 200 knots.  I think anytime you are getting 140-160 knots you are doing well...REALLY WELL in a pre-j airframe.  Especially compared to brand C & P.

I need to go up and do speed runs at different altitudes to really see what my plane REALLY does...but that is just on that day for temp...so it's just a representative number that vary's based on winds, altitude flown temps and fuel flow...but I have never done this.  Now that I know some E's can do 160 knots I want to see where I am.  My plane has lower cowl closure, landing light plexi, 201 windshield, overlapping K doors, Fiberglass belly.  No gap/flap seals of any kind or vertical stab fairing...Brake rotation at annual with complete brake re-do and rubber replacement.

I think this is a really nice F Model.

145 knots sounds about right on a modded F, and of course we have no idea what power setting, altitude, or temp yielded that speed.  If that was a recent data point in the summer in the desert, then it might do 150 knots in cooler weather.

Aside from the bladders, that looks like a very, very nice candidate to me.  Johnson bar gear, great cosmetics, standard 6-pack, expensive autopilot, engine monitor, etc.  It really needs a 430W to replace one of the nav/coms and then it would be well-suited to modern IFR XC work.  The bladders are the biggest knock IMO especially since they reduced fuel capacity in this instance.  The extra bags could be added to restore capacity to 64 gallons, but at a further hit on the useful load.

Few airplanes are actually "sold" on ebay.  ebay is a cheap/efficient way to advertise a plane to a wide audience, and if someone is silly enough to hit the buy button, well, it happens.  More likely someone will see the listing, call, and start working a deal in a conventional manner.  I fully expect the listing will just run out the clock...

67/80 isn't a huge deal on that cylinder as the compression readings will vary depending on who/how they are accomplished.  Worst case, the jug can be reworked for a few hundred bucks if it is leaking past a valve or something, or replaced for $2k.

Thats why I added the "IMO" George.  :)  Aerobat95 is a new serious Mooney shopper and likely hasn't read the last couple knock-down/drag-outs we've had on the subject...so we should let him know it is a point of debate and he can go search on the topic to get fully informed on the pros and cons. 

The ebay F could have 1000+ useful load and 64 gallons of capacity, but it doesn't.  It likely doesn't leak either.  :D

Quote: KSMooniac

Thats why I added the "IMO" George.  :)  Aerobat95 is a new serious Mooney shopper and likely hasn't read the last couple knock-down/drag-outs we've had on the subject...so we should let him know it is a point of debate and he can go search on the topic to get fully informed on the pros and cons. 

The ebay F could have 1000+ useful load and 64 gallons of capacity, but it doesn't.  It likely doesn't leak either.  :D

Thanks Aerobat...Just find the yokes and control shafts and "pop 'em in".  They are tough to find.  I was VERY fortunate and got my yokes and shafts for under 300 bucks...I saw a salvage company listing a lot of Mooney stuff and called him to ask...he said 300 for yokes, but then said I am only going to charge you 200 as they are pretty beat up...Couldn't pay him FAST ENOUGH!  One of the few bargains among many "SURPRISE" events in 9 years of ownership and continuous improvement.

It cost $50 to powder coat them both...

The really good planes don't sit on the market for very long.  It would be nice to if it sold for $60k or something else...

For those that are shopping, figure out what you want as well as a sliding scale of "wants" versus "must-haves" and assign a value to each so you can quickly judge a candidate plane.  Ones that are turn-key or very close to it will not wait around for you to waffle, so you need to be prepared to pounce with a deposit and purchase agreement that calls for a PPI with a Mooney-savvy mechanic.  Also have cash and/or financing ready to go...

• 4 months later...