Cleaning panels with this tool

MooneyBob

I started today to work on my plastic panels. It was very hard to remove original fabric inserts and arm rests as they are glued to the panels as those ceramic tiles to the space shuttle surface.

There was a lot of hard glue and torn fabric left and I couldn't sleep last nigh thinking how the hell I will remove the stuff. So I tried the vibrating tool ( or whatever you call it) and it worked perfectly. The blade moves very fast so you can remove the stuff from small areas very precisely. A little sanding will make it perfect. Very happy how that worked.

Now I am going to try it on the floor to remove the carpet residue.

But, as you can see in the picture the insert doesn't really fit. I Have order it from Airtex and I have specified my plane, year, model, serial number. I don't think I have any custom or aftermarket plastic panels so I don't know what happened. Also I have 4 inserts in my plane but I have received 6 new inserts and they don't look like they will fit anywhere in my plane. Any ideas? I will call them tomorrow of course.

Thanks.

post-11936-0-60859600-1427244133_thumb.j

post-11936-0-95753900-1427244300_thumb.j

Oh oh, that's not good.  I just got confirmation from them (Airtex) today they completed my new carpeting for my Rocket.  Hope I don't have the same problem.  I offered to send them pictures, and even had them ready on the computer to send while ordering, but they said they didn't need them.  Let us know how they handle this issue.

Tom Sullivan

• Like 1

Oh oh, that's not good.  I just got confirmation from them (Airtex) today they completed my new carpeting for my Rocket.  Hope I don't have the same problem.  I offered to send them pictures, and even had them ready on the computer to send while ordering, but they said they didn't need them.  Let us know how they handle this issue.

Tom Sullivan

The irony is that I sent the pics to them. I also received carpets and sidepanels from them. I didn't check them out as I found the inserts problem just today and my plane is still in the avionics shop. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Tom Sullivan

Now I remember that I called them about the inserts and sidepan eels as I have received the carpet long time ago and I order everything at the same time. They promised 3-4 weeks but it was more like 5. Lady sounded surprised as if she realized they forgot something and then the package showed up three days later. I am wondering if they messed something up in the hurry to expedite the order.

Bob -- you certainly are in the lead for this month's Cheap Bast$&d Award. Any chance you will fly your Mooney to any of the NJ events this Spring/Summer. I have been looking at these interiors and would love to see one up close.

DanB swears by them but it always help to see it firsthand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you guys are going about this via the difficult and expensive route IMO.

You can buy the carpet and leather with all certs and have a local auto upholsterer prep the pieces for you to install.

Or even do them yourself if you have time.

You'll save a bundle and be done faster sans the aggravation.

Bob -- you certainly are in the lead for this month's Cheap Bast$&d Award. Any chance you will fly your Mooney to any of the NJ events this Spring/Summer. I have been looking at these interiors and would love to see one up close.

DanB swears by them but it always help to see it firsthand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hope to get it done soon as I really need the plane. And I definitely will fly to meet you guys somewhere. For some reason last year I always missed it.

I think you guys are going about this via the difficult and expensive route IMO.

You can buy the carpet and leather with all certs and have a local auto upholsterer prep the pieces for you to install.

That's what I did with the seats. But the carpet and inserts weren't that expensive so I thought it will be ok. Too early to jump in to the conclusion. I will report back.

The carpets are really cheap.  I would have had more time screwing around getting the things done than just ordering them like this.

Tom