Anybody have a Slick Start on your plane?

DaV8or

Just wondering if anybody has this device installed and wondering their impressions on this thing. Does it help starting, or is there little or no difference? It seems like a good idea to me and anything that can make our planes start easier and more reliably seems like a positive to me.

I'm really looking for a product review and not mechanic's advice on how to diagnose starting problems, neat starting techniques, or stuff about Bendix mags of spark plugs. I made the mistake of posting this on another pilot forum and explaining my starting problems to them. What I got was a litany of spark plug opinions, magneto opinions, stuff to look for in the fuel system and even a "proper" way to start my engine. All I really want is a product review.

Reference for those that are curious-

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/slickstart.php

Champion-SlickStart-banner.jpg

20 years ago, when the price was a LOT cheaper, I put one on my first Mooney. I didn't notice any real difference in starting, except perhaps in cold weather. Now I always preheat my current Mooney and it starts great in winter.

I will not put it on my current airplane because I no longer feel it is worth the price differential to repairing the shower-of-sparks, which works very well and is already paid for.

I don't see how this could be much if any improvement over the shower of sparks if it's working correctly. It's already a very hot continuos fire over a window of several degrees. If adjusted correctly the SOS is already maxing out the coil current. For an impulse coupling mag it would extend the duration of the spark window.

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/8019-hard-to-start/?hl=%2Bshower+%2Bsparks+%2Bvideo

I don't see how this could be much if any improvement over the shower of sparks if it's working correctly. It's already a very hot continuos fire over a window of several degrees. If adjusted correctly the SOS is already maxing out the coil current. For an impulse coupling mag it would extend the duration of the spark window.

http://mooneyspace.com/topic/8019-hard-to-start/?hl=%2Bshower+%2Bsparks+%2Bvideo

I don't have a SOS vibrator on my plane. I have an impulse coupling.

Back when I had a Cessna 340A with TSIO 520's I installed them to help with hot starts in Texas summertime.  Result...no change.

Bob

Were your engines equipped with a shower of sparks vibrator, or impulse couplings originally? I can kind of see how if you already had a SOS system, that going to the Slick Start might not make much difference. 

Had one installed on my '66 M20F about a year ago (at overhaul). Only had about 30 hrs in plane before OH and it had electronic ignition (had to toss it out - no one could overhaul it on the rebuild). Fires on about two blades on cold start and I use hot start procedure after refueling /lunch stops (I don't touch anything) and it's running after a few blades. Got 96 hrs so far and I think it works great - but as I said I had little experience with the Injected engine before.

I installed one on my aircraft about 5 months ago, it has cured my start problems, expensive but I am glad I did it. It was a very easy install.

Good to know. Thank you! Just curious, what work had you done previous in an attempt to get your starts better?

• 1 year later...
On 2/28/2015 at 9:26 PM, DaV8or said:

Good to know. Thank you! Just curious, what work had you done previous in an attempt to get your starts better?

So Dave,

Did you actually get one? Care to give a pirep? I was just looking into this one. Not that I dont have enough gadgets on my plane but what's one more?  (famous last words.. :) )