Spelling

Bob - S50

I love the islands of Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao. The native language is Papiamento. Its a phonetic language and its common to see the same word spelled many ways. For example the word for street is caya, but plenty of street signs have it as kaya.

Anyway, I became an engineer because spelling didn't matter all that much.

I was 35 years old when I started to learn English. It was 15 years ago. That's why I got pretty good in spelling ( I am not saying in grammar). I had to memorize all the words since the pronunciation and spelling is so different.

Anyway, one thing I know for sure ( and it drives me crazy ) : It's a HANGAR not a HANGER.

Hangar is for a plane. Hanger is for a coat.

• Like 2

Ha! Touché Bob...nicely played. But to be fair, I only called you out on your first error unaided. The second one you were asking for. What can I say, I was a language major in college and do marketing stuff now so spelling just catches my eye. But don't ask me any engineering questions; to me, calculus is that app on my iPhone I use to add up all that money I supposedly have.

Ha! Touché Bob...nicely played. But to be fair, I only called you out on your first error unaided. The second one you were asking for. What can I say, I was a language major in college and do marketing stuff now so spelling just catches my eye. But don't ask me any engineering questions; to me, calculus is that app on my iPhone I use to add up all that money I supposedly have.

Another common spelling error is "loose" for "lose". Loose is when your pants are too big and they fall down. Lose is for when you don't win.

There are spelling issues that you may have...

And then there are spelling issues that the automatic spell check police give you.

My favorite is what Siri does to my typing...swapping out words for irrational one like a drunken typist.

Best regards,

-a-

...and how exactly is this Mooney related?   :P

• Like 1

Not to worry.  You have to try a lot harder than that to hurt my feelings.

Bob

Alex,

Let's not spread the Timmy thread.

Here, or anywhere else.

Note: Alex is pressing an issue that the Timmy thread is good for MooneySpace.

I would like to see Timmy's thread get relabeled for what it is and get it off the front page of MooneySpace.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Spelling peeves: when you guys leave the letter "u" out of so many words like, colour, labour, neighbour, flavour, etc.

Clarence

When people use the letter '"s" in place of "z" in so many words like customise, realise, apologise, criticise.

And what's up with aeroplane?

• Like 1

Ask the Brits. They came up with this here language and it's rules, and ruined it all after the Norman invasion. Three centuries of having French as the official language changed much of then-current English, and we're stuck with what's left.

Ask the Brits. They came up with this here language and it's rules, and ruined it all after the Norman invasion. Three centuries of having French as the official language changed much of then-current English, and we're stuck with what's left.

Up unitil maybe 10 years ago the Oxford English Dictionary (the one the Queen uses) spelled (or should that be s

"Spelt"?) realize, criticize etc. with a Zed....but thanks in part to Mr Gate's interpretation of "British English", mospt Brits now believe the Z is American.... FWIW as an Aussie living in the UK I use Z not S in those words...but I do put the U in colour! :-)

As for football....we call soccer...soccer....except a few recent arrivals who insist on trying to change the meaning of the word football to that of the old country! For us Football involves heavy physical contact, a few fights and the occasional goal....heck, we even turned baseball into fight-night! http://www.news.com.au/sport/adelaide-bite-and-melbourne-aces-await-outcome-of-abl-investigations-over-brawl-at-hindmarsh-stadium/story-fnaqgujp-1227188154563